Are all tubes created equal? (Long Valve Tubes)
    dropped!

Are all tubes created equal? (Long Valve Tubes)

Can anyone make a tube recommendation? Primary concerns are not necessary weight, but flat protection and reliability.

Do standard Mavic Kysrium wheels (SSC SL's) require the use of tubes with long (51mm) valves or can i use standard lenght valved tubes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

some pump heads need the long stems

I like the look of the standard length stems and they are just long enough for my Silca and Topeak pumps. I had a problem with Kenda tubes ripping open near the base of the stem. I replaced them with cheap Camel tubes and have not had a problem. Some say the SL rims cause leaks near the valve hole. I have only seen that problem with the Kenda tubes.

monkey with flamethrower
    Almost all butyl rubber tubes are made either by Chen Shing Tires (CST) or Kenda though there are a few cheaper tubes that are being made on the Chinese mainland. There are no quality differences from brand to brand.
    Chances are, I posted this drunk.

p != b
    I really like the Michelin Airstop A1 tubes. A little spendy perhaps, but they feel better (in hand) than the chen-shing/kenda tubes.

not to mention they have smooth stems and removable valve cores.
    I love the sound of cowbell in the morning.

Moderatus Puisne
    My Michelin tubes say "made in france," and they have better quality, smooth stems and are easier to patch than the performace ones that I got for about $1.50 each...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    I have Mavic SLs too, and use Michie Ultra Lights with a 36mm stem. My old floor pump has a Slica brass head on it and works fine. With newer floor pumps, you'ld probably be better off going with the 52 mm.

Here's a link to a good place to oder tubes and tires from!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Not All Equal

I'd agree with those saying all tubes are not created equal. Last year I started off by replacing the tires and tubes with all of my bikes with some Kenda tubes from my LBS. After inflating the tires just a couple of times I ended up pulling the valve and nut right out of the stem.

I purchased several extras of those tubes at that time and went thru 3 different tubes just minutes before a TT I was in. The next day I went right to the shop and got 6 Michelin tubes to replace my spares and those still in the tires. Have not had the same problem since! Now that is worth the extra $2-3's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Continental makes excellent tubes as well. Most manufacturers make light weight tubes at extra cost.

dropped!
    do the "light" and "extra light tubes" compromise strength at the benefit of weight? i've read to stay away from latex unless i'm racing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I have not noticed a significant difference in the number of flats with light weight tubes versus standard tubes. If you cut some old tubes in half, there is very little difference in the thickness of the rubber. You should check air pressure very regularly because light weight tubes may loose pressure more rapidly. Unless you are racing or absolutely need to loose about 20 grams, save your money and get quality standard tubes.

Steaming piles of opinion
    You'll do fine with standard length on the SSL's.

Buy Michelin. Good stuff, worth it for the smooth stems alone. Much better quality than the Kenda / Cheng Shin / off-branded stuff.

Last time I was in Performance, the Michelins were the same price as their decidedly crappy tubes. Bought to the limit of my wallet.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Oct 2007

forte luna lites

I recently got a set of forte lunar lites, they were a little pricey($8) but claim to weigh only 48g, that's half the weight of my continental race tubes! I figured since everyone spends major $$ to save on rotational weight i could save 100g total with only a few bucks. I got them late and in terrible packing from performancebike.com, and when i put one up beside the the conti race tube it looked almost half the size! i have to say i am a bit nervous about racing on these fly weights.