Ambrosio Excellight or DT Swiss RR465 rims?
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: keppler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    301

    Ambrosio Excellight or DT Swiss RR465 rims?

    I may be doing a wheelbuild (LBS can put it together) and I'm trying to decide if I should go with Ambrosio Excellight or RR465 rims? I'm looking to build strong but also light (where possible).

    I'm 180lbs and was aiming at a 28F/28R spoke count. What spokes and nipples should I look at? For hubs I want to go with Alchemy. I want the wheel entirely in black.

  2. #2
    Old, slow, and fat.
    Reputation: MShaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,897
    Either or. I have an Excellight front wheel. Nice rim. I have a buddy with the RRs. Again: nice rim.

    Pick the one that you like the looks of best.

    M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    891
    They are both very good rims, and neither of them will give problems to the wheelbuilder. I would lean toward the RR465 rims in terms of strength. Also, if you want all black you can take the decals off the DT Swiss rims; with the Excellights you are stuck with their labels. Of course, the braking surface will be silver.

    I put a 200lb rider on 32 spoke Excellight rims with Revolution spokes on the front and a combination of Revolution/Competition spokes on the rear with Dura-Ace 7800 hubs a few years ago. He has had no problems with them. I have also not had any issues with RR465 rims, but have mostly used 28 hole rims for front wheels.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    201
    i did a quick google search but didn't find any source for ambrosios in us. where are you getting them from?

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by jmchapple View Post
    i did a quick google search but didn't find any source for ambrosios in us. where are you getting them from?
    Ambrosio Excellence rims are available from Torelli as Torelli Triumph rims (shop needs to order since they do not sell direct to consumers). I think FairWheel Bikes offers some Ambrosio rims.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by jmchapple View Post
    i did a quick google search but didn't find any source for ambrosios in us. where are you getting them from?
    http://www.ital-tecno.com/shopdispla...ims+-+CLINCHER

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: keppler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by valleycyclist View Post
    They are both very good rims, and neither of them will give problems to the wheelbuilder. I would lean toward the RR465 rims in terms of strength. Also, if you want all black you can take the decals off the DT Swiss rims; with the Excellights you are stuck with their labels. Of course, the braking surface will be silver.
    I don't mind the lettering, as long as the rim is black, along with the spokes and hubs. I think I could get these wheels under 1500 grams (high 1400 range) with 28/28 and Alchemy hubs, and still be very durable long term for my body weight.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    891
    Quote Originally Posted by keppler View Post
    I don't mind the lettering, as long as the rim is black, along with the spokes and hubs. I think I could get these wheels under 1500 grams (high 1400 range) with 28/28 and Alchemy hubs, and still be very durable long term for my body weight.
    Here is one option:
    RR415 front rim, RR465 rear rim
    Sapim Laser spokes on front wheel and rear non-drive side
    Sapim Race spokes on rear drive side
    Alchemy hubs
    aluminum nips

    That will be under your 1500 gram weight.

    You have other options besides those two rims. You can also use XR-270 rims in 24f/28r which will make a nice wheelset. Even going down to 20 spokes on the front XR-270 should be fine. Alpha 340 rims are another option for lightweight wheels.
    Valley Cyclist Wheels www.valleycyclist.com

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by keppler View Post
    I'm 180lbs and was aiming at a 28F/28R spoke count. What spokes and nipples should I look at? For hubs I want to go with Alchemy. I want the wheel entirely in black.
    I'd strongly consider the RR465s. I really like that rim and it's double eyelets. It builds strong and true. The best wheelset I've ever built was a pair of RR465s, with DT Swiss 240 hubs, 32 holes all around, 3X laced with Revolutions all around and brass nipples.

    At your weight I'd go with either Supercomps or Comps on the drive side. Aluminum nipples are stupid, go with brass.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by keppler View Post
    I may be doing a wheelbuild (LBS can put it together) and I'm trying to decide if I should go with Ambrosio Excellight or RR465 rims? I'm looking to build strong but also light (where possible).

    I'm 180lbs and was aiming at a 28F/28R spoke count. What spokes and nipples should I look at? For hubs I want to go with Alchemy. I want the wheel entirely in black.
    check out rt wheelcraft, terry is amazing

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    35
    let me know what you got

Similar Threads

  1. Ambrosio tubular rims
    By Tricky Dick Virenque in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2008, 07:49 PM
  2. Ambrosio rims
    By r_mutt in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 07:11 PM
  3. ambrosio excellight ssc
    By r_mutt in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2008, 09:41 AM
  4. Ambrosio Excellight ERD?
    By SDizzle in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 10:04 AM
  5. Ambrosio Excellight S.S.C
    By phil-bianchi in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-20-2006, 06:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.