Anybody had this happen?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

Anybody had this happen?

Brand new Conti GP5000 tubeless, maybe 110 miles. The bubble is so soft you could likely pinch and pierce it with your fingernail.

Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Sock Puppet
    I had that happen on a Specialized tire a number of years ago. The last 3 miles of my ride was a cyclical "bump, bump, bump". A few minutes after I arrived at the start site - BOOM!!!!!!!
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

What the Hell is going on
    That's why I avoid Conti tires. I've had that problems with, I think, their Ultra tires. Conti Tubulars, on the other hand . . .
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    RIP conti tire

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    You cut the sidewall. Could happen after 100' or 1000mi. Could happen to any tire although some are stronger than others. Oh well.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    I've been running Conti 4000's and 5000's for many years now with great luck although only about 6 months on tubeless now (this was the first real ride on this particular one).

I agree that it looks like a sidewall cut in the picture although I don't remember running anything over at all especially that would have reached that far around the sidewall. For reference the line with the shadow above the obvious hole isn't a cut it's actually the little extra rubber that dangles for a while from the factory form. The actual cut/hole stops about midway up the "9"

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You cut the sidewall. Could happen after 100' or 1000mi. Could happen to any tire although some are stronger than others. Oh well.
    The one I had wasn't a cut. It was a fairly large bubble that tore open the sidewall.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gloverb103 View Post
    I've been running Conti 4000's and 5000's for many years now with great luck although only about 6 months on tubeless now (this was the first real ride on this particular one).

I agree that it looks like a sidewall cut in the picture although I don't remember running anything over at all especially that would have reached that far around the sidewall. For reference the line with the shadow above the obvious hole isn't a cut it's actually the little extra rubber that dangles for a while from the factory form. The actual cut/hole stops about midway up the "9"
    now that you put it that way, then I think this tire has a defect. In addition, the other frayed spot on the sidewall tells me this tire is defective, because i've never seen 2 damaged spots on the sidewall that happened due to road debris cut.

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    now that you put it that way, then I think this tire has a defect. In addition, the other frayed spot on the sidewall tells me this tire is defective, because i've never seen 2 damaged spots on the sidewall that happened due to road debris cut.
    Pothole. Rock. Doesn't have to get cut in the classic sense by a broken bottle or a steak knife someone left in the road.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Pothole. Rock. Doesn't have to get cut in the classic sense by a broken bottle or a steak knife someone left in the road.
    true, but if you look at the photo closely, you'll notice that on the other side of the cut there is also fraying spots of varying gradation. Yet,, there is absolutely no "intermediate scratches" on the sidewall between all these frayed spots. If the sidewall was to hit a big enough pothole to cause multiple frays and a big cut, I'd expect to see scratches on the surrounding rubber too.

I'll bet if the OP take a look inside the tire, there might be signs of the case shearing too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post

I'll bet if the OP take a look inside the tire, there might be signs of the case shearing too.
    I would look on the inside but the shop where it was purchased has already replaced it and will follow up with their own claim with Conti as they agree it's not road damage.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I've put tens of thousands of miles on Conti 4000, 5000, tubed, and tubeless. Never had that happen.

Definitely looks like he caught the edge of a pothole. One large gash and 5-6 other vertical slashes. on either side.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    He didn't mention a pot hole, so I'm going with 'defect'.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    While I have no love for Conti, I have no hatred for them either. I have just always found options that are better for me and at a better price point. It seems they are a very popular tire, so statistically, the more units there are, the more problems/complaints/incidents there will be. Granted there is always a possibility of QC issues.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    And you've never heard of 'JRA' either? Not saying the OP is lying but there are many times we don't get the whole story.

ETA: Kinda bummed I wasted post # 15,000 on this.
    Last edited by cxwrench; 1 Week Ago at 08:14 AM.
    #promechaniclife

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    And you've never heard of 'JRA' either? Not saying the OP is lying but there are many times we don't get the whole story.
    You guys crack me up haha roadies are fun.

Seriously though it was noticed after a 104 mile ride so anything is possible but this isn't my first rodeo and and have nothing to gain by "not providing the whole story" haha fun thread though! I'm not a Conti fanboy or hater, don't really care about the brand name whatsoever I've just had good luck in the past so I stick with what I know (like most) and what is readily available to me locally.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The casing being visible through the rubber especially where rubber mold sections meet suggest the casing wasn't well placed in manufacture. However that tire wouldn't come apart in regular use.

The scratches to the left side of the image and in the numbers say to me that the tire scraped something that tore it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    ... so grov is JRA's alternative presence?
    ... I run Michelin, those conti's are for the birds!
    BANNED

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Potholes come in all shapes and sizes. He could've caught the edge of a shallow pothole and not even realized it.

You can run over one of these at a fast speed and barely feel it with the shallow leading and trailing edges, but catch the sidewall on the sharp side.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    That shape looks like something ogre may want for his next avatar?

Banned Sock Puppet
    ETA: Kinda bummed I wasted post # 15,000 on this.
    Not to worry, CX. Before you know it, you will be at 20,000.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    That shape looks like something ogre may want for his next avatar?
    Ha Ha! I don't see any creatures trying to escape, but I'll stare at it some more

RoadBikeReview Member
    of the dozen sets of Conti 4Ks I've used, only had one sidewall issue, and it was on a Series I tire...nearly new, sidewall developed a weak spot and tore open. simply chalked it up to mfg defect and bought a Series II as a replacement.

never had any problems with the Series II tires.

getting ready to mount my first set of 5Ks, expect them to be fine.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Potholes come in all shapes and sizes. He could've caught the edge of a shallow pothole and not even realized it.

You can run over one of these at a fast speed and barely feel it with the shallow leading and trailing edges, but catch the sidewall on the sharp side.
    THAT'S a pothole! What is it...3 layers deep?
    #promechaniclife

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    THAT'S a pothole! What is it...3 layers deep?
    Ha... that's a walk in the park. We call that "rough road".