App or site to work out final width of a tire on a rim? Thinking 28mm GP4000 on Ksyri
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

App or site to work out final width of a tire on a rim? Thinking 28mm GP4000 on Ksyri

I'm wanting to go bigger. I don't know if a 28mm Conti 4000 on my Ksyriums will be over 28mm or not. I don't really want to buy two tires only to find out that they come out too big for my frame.

Frame Tarmac SL2 (rim brake)
    Tire hopefully Conti 4000 II 28mm

If the 28mm comes out 28mm, then I'm sure I'll be fine (currently running Armadilo 25mm's, which apparently are more like 28mm. Just worried if the 28mm Conti comes out as >30mm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SNS1938 View Post
    I'm wanting to go bigger. I don't know if a 28mm Conti 4000 on my Ksyriums will be over 28mm or not. I don't really want to buy two tires only to find out that they come out too big for my frame.

If the 28mm comes out 28mm, then I'm sure I'll be fine (currently running Armadilo 25mm's, which apparently are more like 28mm. Just worried if the 28mm Conti comes out as >30mm
    There was a thread on this forum a while back compiling tire dimensions for various tire and rim combinations, I can't find it right now. Might want to do some searches on this forum and see if you can find it.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    it's come out close to 30mm. It ain't gonna be smaller than 28mm that's for sure

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not an app but a little $7 tool that will allow you to measure the tire and rim and give a diameter.

https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/store/r...-measure-tool/

And here's how it works, with instructions on making one yourself to save that $7.

https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/wh...ng-tire-sizes/
    Too old to ride plastic

[REDACTED]
    From what I have read on these forums, Conti tires tend to run on the high side of spec.

Are the Ksyriums you have new or older? In other words, what is the internal width of your rims? Here is an article about the new Ksyriums:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/editor...heelset-362865

Note what they say in this paragraph:

The wheels come with Mavic’s own 25mm Yksion Pro UST tubeless ready tyres. These measure with our callipers around 25mm, they come up considerably narrower than Continental GP4000 or Schwalbe One 25mm tyres, both of which sit around 26.5mm on these rims.

So my guess is that Conti 28mm tires will probably measure close to 30mm on these rims. How much clearance do you have now?

"With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Rub it............
    I installed 4k's on my Roubaix in the 28mm width. On the OEM Fulcrum wheels, the tire measures to 29.7mm.

Internal width of the rim is about 17-18mm
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    My Ksyriums are 13mm internal, according to google.

I guess then if the 25mm GP4000 comes up as 26, then the next size up I can get is he 30mm for a 28 ... that'll be too big.

Looking more closely at the tightest clearance areas, I think a tire that is no more than 28mm is my max (whilst having a little clearance). I'd still really like to know what size some tires come up as on my rims, as I don't want to sell myself short or go too big that they won't fit.

Id have thought there'd be a website or something with drop downs.

Rub it............
    How old are your wheels? Andl which model Ksyriums are they? Because the Elites were updated from 15mm wide to 17mm wide in 2015
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

[REDACTED]
    My Ksyriums are 13mm internal, according to google.
    There are different versions of the Ksyriums and as trends are toward wider rims, Ksyriums have been updated to be wider along with most other rims.

I really doubt your Ksyriums are 13mm unless they are very old. Get out a magnifying glass and go over the rim with a fine tooth comb and you may see a number like 622x13, 622x15, 622x17 etc. The first number is the rim diameter, the second number is the internal rim width.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Don't trust old specifications.
    You can measure the internal width with a ruler.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

This question comes up on a regular basis and the short answer is no. Various people have tried to compile the information but with rims and tires constantly changing it's very hard to keep it current. And that assumes the information was 1) correct to begin with (some peoples' slill with a ruler appears to be limitied) and 2) reasonbly compresehnsive.

You would think that crowdsourcing would be the ideal way to do this, but nobody appears to have succeeded in attracting enough consistent input to sustain it. This is where we wish that Sheldon Brown was still with us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Is it the front or back where it's really close? If the back than just buy one for now. You use it on the back and try it on the front to see if there's any point getting another one.