Asym Rim on Single Speed Hub
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Asym Rim on Single Speed Hub

If you had to use a asym Rim on the back Of Single Speed MTB wheel. Would you offset it left or Right?

With Offset right like it would be on a normal hub, makes NDs 100% and Drive Side 82%. The other way is NDS 94%, drive side 100%. FWIW. I think it would look a bit more normal offset right, but Im giving up 12% on drive side. Its 4.5 mm offset. With tension this close, Is it really going make much difference?

[REDACTED]
    I really don't see what the purpose of doing this would be. Asym rims make a bit of sense with an 11 speed freehub where tension disparities are significant. Otherwise, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

It should also be noted that even in the case of a wheel with an 11 speed freehub, a good quality rim can take DS tensions around 130kgF. NDS tensions will fall in the 55kgF range which is sufficient tension. I have 6K miles on a wheel I built like this and have never had to re-true the wheel.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post
    Is it really going make much difference?
    No. Off-center rims are useful in providing better bracing angles and more even force distribution but with a single-speed wheel, these factors not an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I really don't see what the purpose of doing this would be. Asym rims make a bit of sense with an 11 speed freehub where tension disparities are significant. Otherwise, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

It should also be noted that even in the case of a wheel with an 11 speed freehub, a good quality rim can take DS tensions around 130kgF. NDS tensions will fall in the 55kgF range which is sufficient tension. I have 6K miles on a wheel I built like this and have never had to re-true the wheel.

Please, do me a favor and fight off the urge to comment on ANY of my post. You have no experience, and most of your dribble is some regurgitated dialogue you read some where.

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch562 View Post
    Please, do me a favor and fight off the urge to comment on ANY of my post. You have no experience, and most of your dribble is some regurgitated dialogue you read some where.
    No experience, dribble, regurgitated dialogue? Certainly you can do better than that.

Looks like Kerry basically told you the same thing. But hey, go build your single speed wheel with an asym rim if it makes you feel better. Have fun!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein