Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best tubes...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    ^^^ This.

I like the idea of a threadless stem, but when you're in the middle of no where trying to fix a flat on the side of the road, having a threaded stem is way less frustrating. I carry a mini-pump with me and it's hard enough to use with a threaded stem, much less a threadless. In addition, some of the cheaper CO2 cartridge adapters screw onto a threaded stem... which is a darn good idea since CO2 cartridges blast out a ton of gas in a short time.
    Damn near 10 years to the day. Congratulations, this might be a record.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Damn near 10 years to the day. Congratulations, this might be a record.
    Since you are actively in the business, how many of these claims are still valid a decade later?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Since you are actively in the business, how many of these claims are still valid a decade later?
    Which claims? Ability to hold pressure? Puncture resistance? Threaded or not? I rarely see anyone using what could be considered a 'high end' tube. 99% of the tubes I see being used are threaded, but I prefer threadless. I see pretty much everything with a hole in it at some point, don't think anything is more puncture resistant than anything else. Most tubes lose pressure at about the same rate, hard to say for sure though as I only use what we stock...Bontrager, and I run such low pressure in my 40mm tires that they stay inflated forever.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Which claims? Ability to hold pressure? Puncture resistance? Threaded or not? I rarely see anyone using what could be considered a 'high end' tube. 99% of the tubes I see being used are threaded, but I prefer threadless. I see pretty much everything with a hole in it at some point, don't think anything is more puncture resistant than anything else. Most tubes lose pressure at about the same rate, hard to say for sure though as I only use what we stock...Bontrager, and I run such low pressure in my 40mm tires that they stay inflated forever.
    Oh, so you're at a Trek shop, then? FWIW, I remember when Slime tubes were probably the second-best way to avoid punctures, but there are so many better sealers today thanks mostly to the rising popularity of tubeless tires (you know, the ones where you put $10 of sealant in each tire, just to avoid having to buy an $8 inner tube....).

Back then, I tried Slime once in a Conti Sprinter, and not only did it fail, but it made a gawd-awful green mess of my base tape. Tufo sealant used to be better, but from what I've seen today, I'd say that Orange Seal is the best. Your thoughts?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12