RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Bigger tube for GP4000 tires because of measured size?

I usually run Challenge latex tubes. They are 19-28mm size. I want to switch over to Vittoria latex tubes because they are a little cheaper, and easier to get (more people sell them). They come in either 19-24mm or 25-28mm sizes.

I am running GP4000 23mm tires on 24mm wide rims. The tires measure out to 25mm, and I know with the wider rims the tire has a higher volume of air (at least thats what the manufacturer says).

I知 thinking I should get the 25-28mm tubes instead of the 19-24mm. Anyone have any input?

Looking at the specs, the bigger tubes weigh about ten grams more. So would I be correct in assuming that I would be better off with the bigger tube not stretched as much, or the smaller tube stretched to the limit?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Given how latex leaks air quickly anyway I'd go w/ the bigger tubes. Might be very slightly more resistant to pinch flats as well.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks CX. I値l try out the bigger size and see how they do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I use the smaller of the two with 27mm tires on 23mm rims which I believe would be slightly more volume than you're talking.

No problems. They probably leak a little faster than the bigger option but with latex you're pumping every day regardless. I do a lot of all day rides and wile I've never measured PSI at the end it's not an issue to go 9 hours or so.

In your particular case it's really not going to matter IMO so I would go with the smaller because they are a bit easier to put on.

Maybe get one of each for starters and take it from there. They'll both 'work' for sure so it's not like you'd be wasting $12 either way and you can then decide after having used both.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I was surprised with how little air my Challenge latex tubes leaked. I mean definitely 10-15 psi in 24 hours, but there have been times when I inflated them the night before to do a century the next morning without issue.

They leak about 5 psi in 8 hours, so I just inflated to 5 psi higher than what I wanted to start with in the morning and it worked out.

I知 the type that checks my tire pressure before I ride every time anyways, so the small amount of leakage doesnt bother me. I just air them back up.

I知 curious to see how the Vittoria do compared to the Challenge. Any problems I had with the Challenge tubes were 100% my fault.

Btw, thanks for your input Jay

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
    I was surprised with how little air my Challenge latex tubes leaked. I mean definitely 10-15 psi in 24 hours, but there have been times when I inflated them the night before to do a century the next morning without issue.

They leak about 5 psi in 8 hours, so I just inflated to 5 psi higher than what I wanted to start with in the morning and it worked out.

I知 the type that checks my tire pressure before I ride every time anyways, so the small amount of leakage doesnt bother me. I just air them back up.

I知 curious to see how the Vittoria do compared to the Challenge. Any problems I had with the Challenge tubes were 100% my fault.

Btw, thanks for your input Jay
    I think the tire, rim and rim tape job and variation from one tube to the next play a role with leakage also. I've used challenge latex also and get different results with different wheels and different individual tubes.

Kind of drove me nuts at first when the front would have lost more than the rear or visa versa after a few days and I figured the lower of the two had a 'problem' but eventually I just accepted different wheels/tires/tubes will be different.