RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Bontrager Aeolus XXX wheel reviews?

After reading these reviews that I could find on the web, I'm left a little ambiguous, perhaps even a little underwhelmed. These reviews sounded a little generic, and basicaly can be used for pretty much any new carbon wheel review. In one review, the reviewer talked a lot about how the 21mm internal width would make for great paring with a 25c/28c tire for dirt use. I mean really? I doubt that the people looking to dish this sort of premium $$$ for these wheels will want to use them in dirt or gravel.

How about give us some review about acceleration, handling around fast corners, emergency stopping? So, has anyone actually ridden these wheels and what's your evaluation of them?

https://www.velonews.com/2018/03/bik...-wheels_461531

https://road.cc/content/review/24782...-road-wheelset

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/ge...-review-51929/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I don't own that particular model of Bontrager wheel, but I do have the Aeolus 5's and multiple sets of other Bontrager wheels and I like them all. I used to think "house brand" wheels and components were down-grades from brand name components, but Bontrager has been building some really nice wheels at competitive prices. In particular, I love the hubs which I believe are made by DT Swiss.

The only complaint I have about the Aeolus 5 is that braking sucks, which is a pretty common issue with carbon rims. I've tried both cork and "black magic" pads, and they both are crap compared to regular aluminum rims and brakes. Apparently the new XXX have a better brake track surface, so I hope that's true (and wouldn't even matter if you have a bike with disc brakes.)

Jno
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016
    Te guy at “ In the know” (https://intheknowcycling.com/2018/10...els/#Recommend) usually has pretty comprehensive reviews and comments. His review of the Aeolis XXX leads with ...BONTRAGER AEOLUS XXX 4 – RECALLING MEMORIES OF DRIVING A CORVETTE

There’s something about my long-ago memories of driving a Chevrolet Corvette and my recent experience riding the Bontrager Aeolus XXX 4 wheels that connects.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Going from a set of the last gen Aeolus rim wheels to the XXX 6 Discs, the braking is obviously better but the side wind sensitivity really is improved as well.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I was using my Aeolus 5 D3 tubular. It was light, fast, very responsive acceleration on the flat, and responsive acceleration on the climb out of saddle too (of course). Using tubs, I often pump the psi to 100, and I'm a very lightweight rider. I love riding high psi tire on climbs for that instant acceleration kicks! Braking wise, I found them to be very adequate, but since i'm a lightweight, brake performance is usually low on my list of priority (and since I don't ride in the wet, it doesn't matter much). It sounds like the new Bontrager XXX won't give me much of more of an advantage.

Jno's post to the review above is excellent!! thanks Jno.
    After reading your review, I'm strongly leaning toward the Easton EC90 SL right now because Chainreaction is having a ridiculous clearance on them. What a perfect timing for me. I have the Easton EC90 Aero 55 and like them. the SL will do well for my climber bike! The review seems to knock the SL on braking, and here I am thinking the braking is great on the Aero 55 version (which is just a deeper version of the SL). I guess it justs goes to show, if you're lightweight, then braking is pretty will be good on most wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Going from a set of the last gen Aeolus rim wheels to the XXX 6 Discs, the braking is obviously better but the side wind sensitivity really is improved as well.
    I had the Aeolus 5 D3, crosswind as never bothered me. But Jno's like to the review above pretty much sealed my deal with the Easton EC SL now due to the ridiculous clearance price.