RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Bontrager pro 3 wheelset ????

Question if anyone knows. What does the bontrager pro 3 rim only weight?
    Rim brake. Thanks

'brifter' is a lame word.
    On Trek's tech site there is no weight for rim only or hub only listed, only the complete wheel. You'll have to find someone that's actually taken one apart.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Yes, I was hoping someone did. I have a set, Iím thinking of replacing the hubs to DT Swiss 240ís. Good move ???

Quote Originally Posted by tv264@aol.com View Post
    Yes, I was hoping someone did. I have a set, Iím thinking of replacing the hubs to DT Swiss 240ís. Good move ???
    Unless you have a pair of 240's sitting around it's kind of a waste of $$$. You'd lose a little bit of weight but it's at the hub, you'd never notice it riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    No I donít have them sitting around. I have two sets of wheels which are 240s and love them. Not doing it for weight. But my Bontrager RXLĎs with 240ís will spin 65 seconds longer then the bontrager hub on my pro 3ís. Iím figuring 550.00 to do the hubs. I swear on long rides I feel the drag.
    Last edited by tv264@aol.com; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:34 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not doing it for weight. But my Bontrager RXLĎs with 240ís will spin 65 seconds longer then the bontrager hub on my pro 3ís. Iím figuring 550.00 to do the hubs. I swear on long rides I feel the drag.
    Trust me, you cannot feel this.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

No I donít have them sitting around. I have two sets of wheels which are 240s and love them. Not doing it for weight. But my Bontrager RXLĎs with 240ís will spin 65 seconds longer then the bontrager hub on my pro 3ís. Iím figuring 550.00 to do the hubs. I swear on long rides I feel the drag.
    Uhmmm no...you don't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Iím telling you, on long flats it rolls better. And after a 2 mile climb (really 200 yards, I live in the Midwest). Just rolling down the other side, I roll past other riders on my 240ís.

If hubs donít matter we should all be riding Walmart bikes. They come with hubís too.

Iím telling you, on long flats it rolls better. And after a 2 mile climb (really 200 yards, I live in the Midwest). Just rolling down the other side, I roll past other riders on my 240ís.

If hubs donít matter we should all be riding Walmart bikes. They come with hubís too.
    You have no idea why your set of DT hub wheels spin longer in the stand, do you? You have a fundamental misunderstanding about how bearings work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Theyíre machined better with better materials. I can feel the difference on the road. Just so you understand, I cannot feel a shifting difference between ultegra and Dura ace.
    So your telling me that 200.00 wheels are just as good?

Theyíre machined better with better materials. I can feel the difference on the road. Just so you understand, I cannot feel a shifting difference between ultegra and Dura ace.
    So your telling me that 200.00 wheels are just as good?
    No, I'm not. But you will NOT feel a difference if you rebuild those wheels w/ DT hubs. Just not possible. You can think you FEEL whatever you wish but there is no way in hell there is enough of a difference for you to notice. Not even close. You should do some research about bearings in particular and hubs in general. You sound like a guy that spent a mint on ceramic bearings and is trying to defend his decision.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Nope, donít own one ceramic bearing. So why do wheel builders spend good money on hubs if cheap hubs are just as good? Are DT Swiss and Chris King frauds?
    If you say we cannot feel the difference, we should only buy entry level hubs.
    Last edited by tv264@aol.com; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:09 PM.

Nope, donít own one ceramic bearing. So why do wheel builders spend good money on hubs if cheap hubs are just as good? Are DT Swiss and Chris King frauds?
    If you say we cannot feel the difference, we should only buy entry level hubs.
    Quality hubs are lighter. They come w/ better bearings...good to have even if you can't feel any performance difference. If they're made w/ more precision the bearings will last longer. The design of the hubshell will result in wheel builds that turn out better and are easier to build. There are better drive mechanisms that are more efficient and last longer than cheap hubs. There are a lot of reasons to buy quality parts but don't let that fool you into thinking you actually feel faster because of it. Aerodynamics and rolling resistance will be noticed before you'll feel how well a hub spins.

The difference between a cheap Ultegra loose ball hub and a DT or CK is minute. Really really small. Hard to measure w/o precision equipment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I agreed, I never said faster. Iím not fast. Iím 56 and no it. But, I disagree I do feel a better ride. I like DT because I have had no problemís with them. Also good experience with CK. I did have Dura ace wheels fail on me (bad experience). My bike came with these pro 3ís when I bought it. I feel the only part that is missing is good hubs. The D3 has 240 internals and cost 2300.00 I can up grade for around 550. Granted, there made in Asia and Iím sure quality control is not as good as being build in house. Asia getting paid per wheel and time is money.
    Bontrager pro 3 wheelset ????-29e73fee-8c50-4971-bf2f-e76c9e66359a.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    CX is trying to save you some effort and money with solid advice - your choice to listen or not. The quality of bearings (unless they are complete junk/worn out) isn't going to be relevant on how well they roll with a rider on the bike. Your spin down comparison is likely a result of the amount of grease and / or bearing preload and / or the seals.

As far as feeling it - unless you have data supporting the difference on the road (not perception), ignore the mind game - Tires pumped up to the highest possible pressure feel faster but aren't most of the time, in fact most of the time are quantifiably slower.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Ok, Iím Hearing you. I have never touched these wheels. (Theyíre brand new, under 300 miles on them. I was hoping they would seat them selfís with a few miles on them.)So youíre saying if I pull them apart. Make sure I do not per load them to tight they should spin better.
    And one more question why donít they use these hubs on higher end wheels if thereís no difference besides weight?

RoadBikeReview Member
    And one more question why donít they use these hubs on higher end wheels if thereís no difference besides weight?
    Boutique hubs cost more and keeping cost under control is always a factor.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, Iím Hearing you. I have never touched these wheels. (Theyíre brand new, under 300 miles on them. I was hoping they would seat them selfís with a few miles on them.)So youíre saying if I pull them apart. Make sure I do not per load them to tight they should spin better.
    I would look up how to set the preload if you decide to work on them (don't know anything about the hubs in those wheels so can't help there) I'm not saying take them apart. I would guess if they aren't too tight any drag from seals and grease will workout over 1000 miles of use. I have a set of RS81 wheels that were on the tight side new - reset the preload and they spun better. Before adjusting they wouldn't do much more than a full rotation with a good spin to start. On the road, they rolled fine before and after.
    Last edited by Srode; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:19 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

I roll past other riders on my 240ís.

If hubs donít matter we should all be riding Walmart bikes. They come with hubs too.
    I agreed, I never said faster. Iím not fast. Iím 56 and know it. But, I disagree I do feel a better (faster?) ride. I like DT because I have had no problems with them. Also good experience with CK. I did have Dura ace wheels fail on me (bad experience). My bike came with these pro 3ís when I bought it. I feel the only part that is missing is good hubs. The D3 has 240 internals and cost 2300.00 I can up grade for around 550. Granted, they're made in Asia and Iím sure quality control is not as good as being built in house. Asia getting paid per wheel and time is money. < Is that a sentence?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29E73FEE-8C50-4971-BF2F-E76C9E66359A.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	324217
    I fixed some of your post in an attempt to make it easier to understand. You definitely said you are faster on your wheels w/ DT hubs but didn't take into account why. You think it's the 'better' DT hubs. In reality you might be more aerodynamic than your riding buddies. Your tires might be inflated to a pressure that has less rolling resistance. There are many reasons you might coast past them but DT hubs aren't one of those reasons. I rode Bontrager Race wheels (the cheapest, lowest quality wheel spec'd on Trek's mid range and up road bikes, now replaced by the Paradigm) and I would do the same thing. That's a $500.00 set of wheels w/ bearings so bad you could hear them.