braking noise

Thread: braking noise

Jno
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2016

braking noise

I donít know people who ride any of the top end wheels that interest me, so I hope readers of this forum might have experience with them. My question is whether one or the other of these wheels is significantly noisier than the others: Zipp 303 NSW, Enve 4.5, Aeolus XXX

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jno View Post
    I donít know people who ride any of the top end wheels that interest me, so I hope readers of this forum might have experience with them. My question is whether one or the other of these wheels is significantly noisier than the others: Zipp 303 NSW, Enve 4.5, Aeolus XXX

Thanks
    the Zipp and Enve ones have the roughed up brake track so they will sound louder than the Aeolus XXX. You can definitely tell the difference in noise level on the road. The Zipp and Enve ones also chew up brake pads much quicker than the Aeolus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I believe the new XXX wheels have a textured brake track also. The Enve wheels aren't too loud but people in a pace line do know when you are braking - they get quieter after a few months. As far as brake pad use, I have 8000 miles on a set of Enve wheels with the textured brake track and still on the original pads, with plenty of life to go. They give you 2 sets with the wheels so I figure It will be a few years yet before I have to buy pads.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    my buddy has the new Aeolus XXX. they're much quieter than both Zipp and Enve. The texture of the XXX is no where near that of Zipp and Enve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    my buddy has the new Aeolus XXX. they're much quieter than both Zipp and Enve. The texture of the XXX is no where near that of Zipp and Enve.
    interesting, I wonder how well they stop in comparison when wet? Enves wet stop better than aluminum in my experience, can't comment on the Zipps.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    interesting, I wonder how well they stop in comparison when wet? Enves wet stop better than aluminum in my experience, can't comment on the Zipps.
    In dry condition, the XXX stops well, on par with Enve and Zipp and alloy. However, their stopping power may be as good as alloy, but neither of those 3 have the same smoooth modulation of alloy; they still exhibit "on/off" behavior. When when the wheel heats up, braking power gets more grabby (this is more important in long descents than on the flats). There is still no substitute for alloy in descents.

Also, these 3 wheels still squeal like many carbon rims when they do get hot. But the texture helps though because it takes longer for these rims to get hot when compared to the old nontextured rims.

Another one of my buddies has the Zipp ones and he's around 175-180 lbs, and in a long 30 mile descent of about 5% avd gradient, he said his front brake pads got visibly a little thinner after that one run.

Overall, the texture of the XXX is not as pronouced as that of the Zipp and Enve, and as thus the outright stopping power is a tad less, but XXX rims are also easier on the pads and they exhibit less winding noise when braking.

Question is, how will the brake track wear down long-term? I guess as long as the pads act as the sacrifical material, then the track should last long. You have 2 different materials, and friction heat, something has to give if braking is to be efficient, right. I wonder if the textured track will make it easier for dirt to be embedded in the texture and then make it hard to clean out the dirt?

PS: I personally don't prefer the textured track. This is because I'm a lightweight and the regular carbon track is plenty good for me in most situations, even on mountain descents. But I still definitely prefer alloy in long steep descent though.