Building a Carbon, Tubeless, Disc Road Wheelset - Need Advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Nice looking wheels.
    Hopefully they will work out for you. Perhaps I'll have to try a set sometime. I like the idea of the disc brakes with the CF rims. And the tapeless rim is a great idea, especially with tubeless.

Hopefully the spokes are long enough to extend up through the base of the nipples.

It looks like you gave up on the straight pull spokes?

Anyway, what were your thoughts on the lacing? Easy enough? A major pain?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    My new bike is fully built. This is my first bike with carbon wheels, Di2 electronic shifting and Shimano hydraulic road disc brakes. The bike fully built with pedals, bottle cages, tubeless tires with sealant, etc. weights in at 16.5 lbs. About the same weight as my Pinarello F5 with Dura-Ace mechanical. I'm not a racer but do ride about 5,000 miles annually; mostly century rides with average speeds 18-20mph.

I went for my first ride yesterday. WOW the bike is FAST, tight and stiff and the ride is amazingly comfortable. The frame is a Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro road frame. The feel of the hydraulic brakes is great. I was worried about how firm the braking might be but the modulation is similar to car brakes. Just keep adding pressure and the braking gets gradually stronger. You really need to slam on the brakes to get them to lock-up. Similar to the hydraulic brakes on my mountain bike.

I'm using Schwalbe One Tubeless 25c tires with the carbon tubeless wheelset from FarSports. Not sure what is contributing to the buttery smooth ride since I have not used tires bigger than 23c or carbon wheels before, but I just love the ride quality. I've been riding on tubeless tires for about 5 years and will never go back. Flats are a thing of the past. Only had to resort to inserting a tube twice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    is this your first time riding the frame? I have a 65.1 with zipp 303 clinchers and I run 23mm gp4000s at 100 psi. it is buttery smooth just the way it is.
    Dogma, synapse disc, caad 10, de rosa neo primato, felt CX, epic, fat bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Dogma 65.1 is a great ride

Yes, this is my first time riding the Dogma 65.1 Hydro frame. My Pinarello F5 frame has a smooth ride but it's not as snappy or fast. It uses standard carbon fiber and I have a Fulcrum Racing Zero aluminum wheelset. That's why it's hard to tell if the superior ride of the 65.1 is the frame, the carbon wheelset, the larger tires or likely a combination of all three. I have a 2001 Litespeed Ti racing frame. The Dogma is snappy and fast just like that bike but the ride is buttery smooth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How long did your farsports wheelset last? Or still going. I am about to buys a set.

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    My oldest pair is 6 years old and has around 13,000 miles. I have two other sets with less than 5,000 miles each. All wheels are going strong. The only issue I had was a broken spoke which was easily replaced. Wheels are still true as the day they were purchased. I ride both road and gravel with these wheels.

A friend also has two pairs with thousands of miles. Those are also going strong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12