Buying Zipp or Enve wheelset used. Fool errand, or bargain way to get great wheelset
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Buying Zipp or Enve wheelset used. Fool errand, or bargain way to get great wheelset

Sooo, I'm looking to fire up my LiteSpeed road steed with some new wheels. My current are a pair of relatively bargain basement alloys I've had on for years. There are a pair of Enve SES 2.2s on sale for $1,600 (DT Swiss 240 hubs) at my LBS. I'd prefer the 3.4s and see those online used for around $1,200.

My riding is primarily Front Range Colorado. About 20 miles of flats to the mountains, and then up and down once there.

Thoughts? Buying used stupid?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Some things to consider based on my experience going from an aluminum Bontrager wheelset to a used carbon Bontrager wheelset...

Are you using rim brakes? If so, it's been my experience that aluminum rims are much better for braking than carbon which is probably of concern to you since you live in CO. Aluminum acts like a heat sync and helps dissipate heat generated by braking where as carbon does not. I've tried various pad types with my carbon wheels and none of them worked as well as regular pads on aluminum rims. Braking in wet weather is down-right scary with my carbon wheels. In hot weather, my brakes will start squealing like like little piggies as the pads heat-up... this usually happens when braking on a downhill slope.

Are the carbon wheels you're considering considerably lighter than the wheels you already own? That's really the only potential benefit I could see in spending > $1k on wheels, especially if they're not deep aero wheels. It's my opinion that a high quality aluminum rim for a shallow depth rim is a much better deal than carbon.

As for the buying used part... I got my Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheel set used and had no complaints, especially since I paid less than 1/2 of what the wheels would've been new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2019
    I dont know much about those wheels, but no buying used is not stupid. You did check that that 3.4s will fit your bike right? and they can handle whatever tire width you are using or want to use. If you can check off those boxes and assuming no damage or other unfortunate unknowns (ie: wreck) I would give those wheels some serious thought. Just dont be lured by low price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I buy used carbon wheels all the time and I''ve never had a problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar View Post
    Sooo, I'm looking to fire up my LiteSpeed road steed with some new wheels. My current are a pair of relatively bargain basement alloys I've had on for years. There are a pair of Enve SES 2.2s on sale for $1,600 (DT Swiss 240 hubs) at my LBS. I'd prefer the 3.4s and see those online used for around $1,200.

My riding is primarily Front Range Colorado. About 20 miles of flats to the mountains, and then up and down once there.

Thoughts? Buying used stupid?

Do you trust your LBS guy? That's really where it's at.

It's like the difference between getting your stuff from your guy vs. getting it from some guy

I've bought used carbon once. Fat bike. From my LBS, because I knew he wouldn't kill me.

Carbon from a stranger on the internet is like a street buy for...whatever. Just not a good idea in my book. You really gotta know the source.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nothing wrong with getting a good set of used carbon wheels, there are some smokin good deals on them. The 3.4s are better wheels than the 2.2 Enve set. 3.4s are less flexy and just as light and I don't think the 2.2 wheels were made with the textured brake tracks, the 3.4 were. I wouldn't use Carbon wheels unless they are disc brake wheels if you need to use your brakes hard on the mountain descent though, too much heat for any carbon rim. I also wouldn't buy any Enve wheels that didn't have the textured brake track, it gives dry braking matching aluminum wheels and is better than aluminum when wet.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield View Post
    ......a high quality aluminum rim for a shallow depth rim is a much better deal than carbon.
    ^^^This.^^^ There are quite a few good quality light weight aluminum wheels in the 1400-1600g range which don't break the bank here:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/ca...rtBy=PriceLoHi

They even have some new carbon wheels priced at $1,500 if you are dead set on carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post
    Do you trust your LBS guy? That's really where it's at.

Carbon from a stranger on the internet is like a street buy for...whatever. Just not a good idea in my book. You really gotta know the source.
    ^^^And this.^^^

Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    I buy used carbon wheels all the time and I''ve never had a problem.
    All the time as in you're on a frequent buyer program?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein