Can I do this hub upgrade?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Can I do this hub upgrade?

Just picked up a new to me 2017 Domane SLR 6. Looks to be very low miles and well maintained.

Comes with Bontrager Paradigm Comp TLR wheels. The rear hub uses DT Swiss internals. I thought it was DT Swiss 240 and I was wrong. It's the older 3 pawl ratchet system.

I'm annoyed by the slight clunk that you get when you first apply power. Believing that it was 240, I ran off and bought a 56T star ratchet upgrade.

Yeah, should have spent 10 minutes opening up the hub before buying the upgrade.

So, can I swap the free hub body or do I need to swap the entire rear hub?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    How do you figure swapping the freehub body would work? The internals of the entire 240 hub system is based on the star ratchet system. The 3 pawl system is completely different. I don't think it's worth it at all to take the wheel apart and rebuild it w/ a 240 hub, they're expensive...around $450.00 for the rear. The 350 uses the star ratchet system and the rear hub is about $250.00. It comes w/ the 18t rings but you can throw the ones you have in there. I'm gonna say it's a pretty big waste of money to rebuild a $279.00 wheel w/ a new $250.00 hub. You're gonna need spokes too. And someone that can build it. Buy a new wheel w/ DT internals instead.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Square peg, round hole mi amigo.

Per our cross wrench, it isn't worth the $$$ to re-hub that wheel. Cost of spokes, consumables (tape/sealant), the hub, and manpower, tax....that is a $400 bill.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    How do you figure swapping the freehub body would work? ...
    Yeash, I didn't 'figure' anything. I asked if it were possible because I didn't know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I think that an equivalent wheel with a DT Swiss 240s hub is about $550 (retail, then add tax).

So $400 to re-hub it would save $200?

Quote Originally Posted by slow.climber View Post
    I think that an equivalent wheel with a DT Swiss 240s hub is about $550 (retail, then add tax).

So $400 to re-hub it would save $200?
    At least $400.00 for the hub alone, then spokes, then labor, then tax. You're not saving anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    At least $400.00 for the hub alone, then spokes, then labor, then tax. You're not saving anything.
    Look thanks for the input but don't dog me. I'm just asking the guy who said that his mechanic said:
    Cost of spokes, consumables (tape/sealant), the hub, and manpower, tax....that is a $400 bill.
    That reads as $400 total, tax included. Not 'at least $400.00 for the hub alone'.

Obviously you guys are coming up with very different estimates.

[REDACTED]
    Look thanks for the input but don't dog me. I'm just asking the guy who said that his mechanic said:

That reads as $400 total, tax included. Not 'at least $400.00 for the hub alone'.

I think what we're all trying to say is you are better off selling your existing wheels and buying ones with the hubs you want. That is unless you have experience building wheels and want a fun project for the off-season.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Adorable Furry Hombre

It depends on what hub you start with. I was presuming starting with a DT350. Cx was starting from a DT240.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Turns out you can do it and it's fairly simple,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XpRZCLTX4

Which makes perfectly good sense. The pawl and the star ratchet systems use a different drive ring, spacer, and bushing but if you've got the DT Swiss tools for pulling the drive rings this is a dead simple conversion.

Adorable Furry Hombre

Which makes perfectly good sense. The pawl and the star ratchet systems use a different drive ring, spacer, and bushing but if you've got the DT Swiss tools for pulling the drive rings this is a dead simple conversion.
    I'll be a monkey's uncle.

NOTE that while simple....it still costs about $400 total in parts and tools.

-Star Ratchet kit (2 ratchet discs, and springs, and grease)=$115USD
    -DT240/350/440/550 star ratchet ring-tool=$75USD
    -DT370/etc 3-pawl drive ring tool=$75USD
    -DT180/240/350 freehub body=$100
    -DT240 drive ring=$10
    -DT240 spacer shim=$10
    -DT240 alloy bushing=10
    --------
    Subtotals to $395USD

Plus taxes/shipping

Also note that in that video...he pre-loosened that drive ring...
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

I was wondering about that last night. The drive ring is generally really tight, I've always put the tool in a bench vise and used the wheel for leverage.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I'll be a monkey's uncle.

NOTE that while simple....it still costs about $400 total in parts and tools.

-Star Ratchet kit (2 ratchet discs, and springs, and grease)=$115USD
    -DT240/350/440/550 star ratchet ring-tool=$75USD
    -DT370/etc 3-pawl drive ring tool=$75USD
    -DT180/240/350 freehub body=$100
    -DT240 drive ring=$10
    -DT240 spacer shim=$10
    -DT240 alloy bushing=10
    --------
    Subtotals to $395USD

Plus taxes/shipping

Also note that in that video...he pre-loosened that drive ring...
    I'll probably get out of this for less than half that but only because (as I said in my OP) I already own the star ratchet set.

I'll take it to my LBS. No point in buying the specialized tools just for this one time job.

Overall, the additional expense isn't too painful. Which is not to say that I'd go this route if I hadn't already bought the star gears.

[REDACTED]
    I'll probably get out of this for less than half that but only because (as I said in my OP) I already own the star ratchet set.

I'll take it to my LBS. No point in buying the specialized tools just for this one time job.

Overall, the additional expense isn't too painful. Which is not to say that I'd go this route if I hadn't already bought the star gears.
    It sounds like you are determined to do this. None of us can talk you out of it. So go for it! And let us know how it works out.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    It sounds like you are determined to do this. None of us can talk you out of it. So go for it! And let us know how it works out.
    I wasn't determined to do it, I was determined to get the answer.

I bought the star ratchets without first confirming that this level of Bontrager wheel didn't use pawls. Big mistake but how recoverable?

I asked and then I got slightly roasted for even imagining that the Engineers were rational and used common components between the two systems.

Turns out that Swiss Engineers aren't boneheads. Their designs are mostly compatible. When you swap the free hub system you retain the shell, the axle, and the bearings.

So either I upgrade now or I wait and upgrade when it's rebuild time, or I ditch them then and get newer better and save the stars for an even later rebuild.

I don't particularly care. But know I know that I have options that I didn't know about before.

Options are good. I like options.

I wasn't determined to do it, I was determined to get the answer.

I bought the star ratchets without first confirming that this level of Bontrager wheel didn't use pawls. Big mistake but how recoverable?

I asked and then I got slightly roasted for even imagining that the Engineers were rational and used common components between the two systems.

Turns out that Swiss Engineers aren't boneheads. Their designs are mostly compatible. When you swap the free hub system you retain the shell, the axle, and the bearings.

So either I upgrade now or I wait and upgrade when it's rebuild time, or I ditch them then and get newer better and save the stars for an even later rebuild.

I don't particularly care. But know I know that I have options that I didn't know about before.

Options are good. I like options.
    And I now know that's possible, thanks for finding that out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Good thing to have the tool to remove the drive ring. You can't get the lower bearing out with out removing it. I found the pawl tool for $27

changingleaf
    Nice job with the parts breakdown.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    And I now know that's possible, thanks for finding that out.
    I'll probably talk it through with my favorite LBS today and then maybe ask them to give it a whirl.

If I actually do this, I'll report back on the results.

It will be interesting to find out if it really works or if it's just another one of those things that someone believes works but doesn't turn out so great.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we purchase then check the loving specs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll probably talk it through with my favorite LBS today and then maybe ask them to give it a whirl.

If I actually do this, I'll report back on the results.

It will be interesting to find out if it really works or if it's just another one of those things that someone believes works but doesn't turn out so great.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we purchase then check the loving specs.
    Measure once, cut twice.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It works, My buddy switched his over from the pawl type to ring drive type