Cannondale Hollowgram SI Disc Wheels - bearings
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Cannondale Hollowgram SI Disc Wheels - bearings

Are Hollowgram SI Disc Wheels Cup and Cone or Cartridge?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'm guessing they're made by Stan's so they're most likely cartridge. Very very few hubs are cup/cone these days. Shimano and Campy are the only 2 that come to mind and Campy aren't loose balls, they're in retainers.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm guessing they're made by Stan's so they're most likely cartridge. Very very few hubs are cup/cone these days. Shimano and Campy are the only 2 that come to mind and Campy aren't loose balls, they're in retainers.
    i thought the <2017 Hollowgram Rims were made by Stans? Mine: https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined

2018 model, doesn't show the Stans name anywhere listed on the Rim, nevertheless anything related to the Hubs....

Why don't you just take a look?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    For what it's worth I have very roughly 80,000 miles split about evenly between Dura Ace (cup and cone) and a couple others that are cartridge and have yet to come across a reason I would care which they were.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Why don't you just take a look?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    For what it's worth I have very roughly 80,000 miles split about evenly between Dura Ace (cup and cone) and a couple others that are cartridge and have yet to come across a reason I would care which they were.
    The main reason why I was asking about the wheels bearings is because I spun the rear wheel while the bike was flipped. The wheel didn't spin as freely or for as long as any of my other wheels. My cousin mentioned to me that if the bearings were cup and cone, it's designed to have the riders weight on it and it will spin freely as I'm riding.

Is this true?

1) Don't flip your bike over.

2) Any bearing that has the proper amount of grease and/or is new will not spin forever because of grease drag. Has absolutely no impact on how it spins when you're riding. Doesn't matter whether it's loose ball (cup/cone) or cartridge. Grease fill has the same impact. Your cousin is more or less correct.

3) Go ride your bike, don't overthink.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Ugh... so many people think how long your wheel spins is a meaningful metric of something. (it's not)
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    My cousin mentioned to me that if the bearings were cup and cone, it's designed to have the riders weight on it and it will spin freely as I'm riding.

Is this true?
    Close enough. Except at extremes how a wheel spins with no weight means nothing. And if a rear wheel spins forever that doesn't mean it's better than one that doesn't. Probably means it's worse in that there is not enough grease or the pre-load isn't enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    1) Don't flip your bike over.

2) Any bearing that has the proper amount of grease and/or is new will not spin forever because of grease drag. Has absolutely no impact on how it spins when you're riding. Doesn't matter whether it's loose ball (cup/cone) or cartridge. Grease fill has the same impact. Your cousin is more or less correct.

3) Go ride your bike, don't overthink.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Ugh... so many people think how long your wheel spins is a meaningful metric of something. (it's not)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Close enough. Except at extremes how a wheel spins with no weight means nothing. And if a rear wheel spins forever that doesn't mean it's better than one that doesn't. Probably means it's worse in that there is not enough grease or the pre-load isn't enough.
    thanks for all the feedback!

now, not that it really matters because my current wheels do spin well when i'm riding, how can anyone actually tell if their rear wheel bearings are better/worse than someone elses if theres a million+1 variables if you're both on the bike and riding it, and that spinning the wheel upside down tells nothing?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

now, not that it really matters because my current wheels do spin well when i'm riding, how can anyone actually tell if their rear wheel bearings are better/worse than someone elses if theres a million+1 variables
    They can't. The watts consumed by wheel bearings is so miniscule, it's hard to measure even with sophisticated equipment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

now, not that it really matters because my current wheels do spin well when i'm riding, how can anyone actually tell if their rear wheel bearings are better/worse than someone elses if theres a million+1 variables if you're both on the bike and riding it, and that spinning the wheel upside down tells nothing?
    You could bring them to MIT and fund a study perhaps. Lot of time and trouble to learn what everyone already knows though and that's that bearings don't really matter assuming they are adjusted and functioning.

If you're interested in this stuff as science that's fine and dandy. If you're interested as a bicycle rider you are wasting your time.