Carbon Clincher Voids?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015

Question Carbon Clincher Voids?

Hi all,

Recently purchased a carbon wheelset and upon delivery today I see there are a lot of pockets/voids in the rim bed. Is this something that should be warrantied, or are they just cosmetic issues? I've included a link to the album as well as attached pictures inline.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

Album: https://imgur.com/a/0Rbduxf

Attached Images Attached Images

Banned Sock Puppet
    Yikes! What brand are these wheels?
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Yikes! What brand are these wheels?
    Iím guessing a Chinese brand.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Iím guessing a Chinese brand.
    That was my guess, but the OP never returned.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    OP, didn't you post this question on another forum (Bikeforum, was it?) about these?
    I remember in that post, the OP said these are from Speedercycling, and Speedercycling rep said these wheels are made using carbon weave technique and that the voids are from the mandrel being pulled out and these voids are normal when using this construction technique.

These wheels are the same as the Winspace Hyper 50 wheels. Reviews from Hambini on the Hyper 50 is great, has superb aero perfornace for a 50mm wheel. A friend of mine has the Hyper 50 and they are freakin nice and light! Personally, I would not worry about these voids (having ridden wheels with actual big cracks in them both on the road and on mtb, for years. Carbon wheels are tough cookies).

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    OP, didn't you post this question on another forum (Bikeforum, was it?) about these?
    I remember in that post, the OP said these are from Speedercycling, and Speedercycling rep said these wheels are made using carbon weave technique and that the voids are from the mandrel being pulled out and these voids are normal when using this construction technique.

These wheels are the same as the Winspace Hyper 50 wheels. Reviews from Hambini on the Hyper 50 is great, has superb aero perfornace for a 50mm wheel. A friend of mine has the Hyper 50 and they are freakin nice and light! Personally, I would not worry about these voids (having ridden wheels with actual big cracks in them both on the road and on mtb, for years. Carbon wheels are tough cookies).
    Support your local dentist.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The dentist gotta eat too.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    chances are you'll get hit by a car first! Hear plenty of riders getting hit, and killed. Haven't heard one single person who's had to go to the dentist yet.

Banned Sock Puppet
    chances are you'll get hit by a car first! Hear plenty of riders getting hit, and killed. Haven't heard one single person who's had to go to the dentist yet.
    OK then, would you prefer that I say support your local funeral home?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK then, would you prefer that I say support your local funeral home?
    Let's hope he don't get cancer from a chainring tattoo.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2020
    These are probably spoke access holes and seem to be standard on most carbon rims:

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newslet...iber-Rims.html

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Let's hope he don't get cancer from a chainring tattoo.
    Only if it was from chain lube with used motor oil in it.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Since the Kracken's been woke...

... I doubt seriously if there is a problem with the rim, I mean look at it, they drilled a huge hole about 1/2" from those tiny bubble things. If there wasn't a problem with a 1/2" hole, what's the big deal. Of course my forte is EE.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post

... I doubt seriously if there is a problem with the rim, I mean look at it, they drilled a huge hole about 1/2" from those tiny bubble things. If there wasn't a problem with a 1/2" hole, what's the big deal. Of course my forte is EE.
    Yeah, that's what a dentist would say.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I think these are the wheels OP have

26mm Wide 50mm Super Light Pattern Carbon Spoked Road Clincher & Tubeless Wheelset (SC-26WH50TL-CSW) products- 26mm Wide 50mm Super Light Pattern Carbon Spoked Road Clincher & Tubeless Wheelset (SC-26WH50TL-CSW) factories,manufactures,26mm Wide 50mm

scroll down and read about its construction method and the use of a "mandrel". I was wrong saying it was carbon weave. According to Speeder, construction technique is filament wound. I remember the OP has posted an email reply from Speeder rep, and in the email, the rep explained that because when the mandrel is pulled out, sometimes it will leave small holes like this on the carbon but that is to be expected and doesn't affect the integrity of the wheel becaue of how strong the wheel is from using the filament wouldn technique. That's what I remember the exchange was. Whether Speeder rep was bs'ing or not, I guess we'd need a carbon expert to verify this.

But I will say this! A buddy of mine have this exact wheelset, $800 shipped, and they are FREAKIN AWESOME!!! His 50mm deep rim brake set comes in at 1350 grams! And it's freaking fast accerlating. They are better than any Enve's and Zipp's costing 2x-3x as much.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

in addition, it doesn't seem like the rim bed is as a critical load bearing area of the wheel (when compared to the spoke bed).

Banned Sock Puppet
    in addition, it doesn't seem like the rim bed is as a critical load bearing area of the wheel (when compared to the spoke bed).
    Maybe not. However, keep in mind that if there are these kind of voids that you can see, there may be others you can't see that are in more critical areas.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Also there is a big void in the tire, you know, where the air is.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Also there is a big void in the tire, you know, where the air is.
    Interesting analogy, but flawed.

Let's ask an expert. @cxwrench , would you ride on these wheels?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe not. However, keep in mind that if there are these kind of voids that you can see, there may be others you can't see that are in more critical areas.

There can be voids that can't be seen even when there are no obvious voids to be seen.

Bad things can happen at any moment on any day to anybody, there ain't no hiding in bed.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    double post
    Too old to ride plastic

Banned Sock Puppet
    There can be voids that can't be seen even when there are no obvious voids to be seen.
    Well yes, just because you never see a cockroach doesn't mean there are any cockroaches, but it's a pretty good indication. If you see one, chances are there are many more you can't see.

Bad things can happen at any moment on any day to anybody, there ain't no hiding in bed.
    Common sense precautions can be taken in life without having to live under a rock.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Lightbulb

What's seen in the picture is definitely not a problem. I've actually read information from Parlee (well respected carbon frame maker) saying it's better to NOT cosmetically fill in these type surface voids that happen. I forget why they said that though.

As for speculation that something that can't be seen or proven from the picture is lurking. You can choose for yourself how much weight you want to give to wild speculation from strangers on the internet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well yes, just because you never see a cockroach doesn't mean there are any cockroaches, but it's a pretty good indication. If you see one, chances are there are many more you can't see.

Common sense precautions can be taken in life without having to live under a rock.
    A void ain't a cockroach.

Calculated risk ain't exactly living under a rock, while expecting the worst outcome out of the smallest denominator isn't necessarily common sense.
    Too old to ride plastic

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    What's seen in the picture is definitely not a problem. I've actually read information from Parlee (well respected carbon frame maker) saying it's better to NOT cosmetically fill in these type surface voids that happen. I forget why they said that though.

As for speculation that something that can't be seen or proven from the picture is lurking. You can choose for yourself how much weight you want to give to wild speculation from strangers on the internet.
    Said by a stranger on the internet.

Calculated risk ain't exactly living under a rock, while expecting the worst outcome out of the smallest denominator isn't necessarily common sense.

That depends on your definition of the "smallest denominator".

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast