RoadBikeReview Member

Chris King R45 Disc CL QR rear hub Inquiry

Time for hub owners/mechanics to check in: I purchased a set of R45D CL QR hubs for a custom gravel wheel set build for a customer. I've found that on the rear hub, the adjusting clamp for preloading the bearings is too large a diameter to permit a CL disc lockring to fit over.

In a telephone call to Chris King, the technician said this was the first that they had heard of a fit interference. He said the only way to do this was to remove the QR insert and adjusting clamp from the axle, place the CL disc and lockring on the hub, and then replace the adjusting clamp and QR insert on the axle. He asked if this was a problem.

I've never encountered such a requirement to partially disassemble a hub to access a CL disc. I'm wondering if anyone has done this and if it is a reasonable approach? Please give me any relevant experience with having to partially disassemble a hub to change out a CL disc.

Otherwise, I'm tempted to tell my customer it would be better to switch to 6 bolt brake disc hubs.

Thanks!
    Chris King R45 Disc CL QR rear hub Inquiry-img_20180221_140441.jpgChris King R45 Disc CL QR rear hub Inquiry-img_20180221_140533.jpg
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    What CL lockrings did you try? Didf you give a go at the 15/20mm CL lockring?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    I tried both the Shimano 15/20 TA lockring CK says will work, and the DT Swiss 15 TA lockring, both which have the same internal diameter, and is about 0.1" smaller than the bearing adjusting clamp. Both of those lock rings do perfectly fit the front hub CL receiver.

I did ask CK if they could make a smaller adjusting clamp OD, but the tech said no because of the hub bearings diameter. That makes no sense to me. It seems to me to be that this could be a design bust.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    I tried both the Shimano 15/20 TA lockring CK says will work, and the DT Swiss 15 TA lockring, both which have the same internal diameter, and is about 0.1" smaller than the bearing adjusting clamp. Both of those lock rings do perfectly fit the front hub CL receiver.

I did ask CK if they could make a smaller adjusting clamp OD, but the tech said no because of the hub bearings diameter. That makes no sense to me. It seems to me to be that this could be a design bust.

IMHO that is a design flaw. And a glaring one at that, especially for a boutique parts manufacturer.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "