climbing wheel vs deep wheel? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBL450 View Post
    Great point about aero impacts. I have a question about the impact of weight though. My bike felt spry and quick this morning. I got to a traffic light and I had forgotten my bidons. It’s August, I had to go back and get them. Regardless, doesn’t that weight matter when climbing? A lighter wheel should make a difference on a climb. Granted on accelerations I felt the difference. My bidons weigh 3 lbs full, combined. I’m not so sure I felt much on the punchy climbs but I didn’t do any longer climbs, mostly short and one steep.
    Extra weight on a wheel will affect climbing as much as if the additional weight were placed anywhere else on the bike. So yes, a heavier wheel will affect climbing. That said, it's not as noticeable as trying to accelerate a heavier wheel.
    "The American people elected Donald Trump as the President of the United States, and not Hillary. I don't think the left is taking this loss as well as they could have"...

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Extra weight on a wheel will affect climbing as much as if the additional weight were placed anywhere else on the bike. So yes, a heavier wheel will affect climbing. That said, it's not as noticeable as trying to accelerate a heavier wheel.
    Exactly. When you are climbing a hill, you are not accelerating, you are trying to maintain a speed of maybe 5-10mph?

So when ACCELERATING, ROTATING weight makes a difference. At any other time, weight is weight and doesn't matter where is on the bike.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I won't get into the weight debate, but OP, the Yoeleo wheels are UCI approved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12