Clincher tire and tube on vintage Shamal tubular wheel?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Clincher tire and tube on vintage Shamal tubular wheel?

Is it possible/safe to use rim tape, clincher tire/tube on a tubular wheel?

I got a couple of nice old vintage Italian bicycles that have Campy Shamal tubular wheels and tubular tires. The spend 90% of their life on a wall mount and I take them for a ride occasionally in really nice weather for the pure pleasure of riding a mint condition vintage steel full Campy Colnago. These rides never involve any highspeed descending or rough road surface. Roads and the neighborhoods on these rides are smooth asphalt and very little traffic.

Over the years I've noticed the tubular tires tend to have glue or tape issues or literally fall apart, even kept in airconditioned space. I've had this happen on most gum wall tubulars from Panasonic and Continental and they were not low end tires. My goal is to have tires that will pump up and hold air when only ridden maybe a dozen times a year.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'm not sure how any reasonably intelligent person could look at a tubular rim and think there is any possibility that a clincher could safely be mounted. The answer is most definitely NO.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    I'm not sure how any reasonably intelligent person could look at a tubular rim and think there is any possibility that a clincher could safely be mounted. The answer is most definitely NO.
    I'm not sure how intelligence factors into knowledge of component compatibility. I'm not a bike mechanic and I would guess that most experienced intelligent riders who have day jobs that are not cycling related would not be able to answer my question.

So.. Thanks for that. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

The tubular rims have shallow channel but I figured I would ask....on the appropriate forum
    Last edited by BacDoc; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:34 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BacDoc View Post
    The tubular rims have shallow channel but I figured I would ask....on the appropriate forum
    Have you ever looked at a tubular rim? How would you ever attach a clincher tire to one?

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Have you ever looked at a tubular rim? How would you ever attach a clincher tire to one?

The channel on my Shamal rims is a lot deeper than that diagram you posted. If I knew how to post pic I could show that. My experience with tubular is limited to 2 vintage bikes that are wall hangers mostly. What seems obvious to the experienced is not always to the inexperienced. Again, that's why I asked!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The channel on my Shamal rims is a lot deeper than that diagram you posted.
    Who cares how deep the channel is?

How would you ever attach a clincher tire to it? Look closely at the picture (this doesn't take a bike mechanic to figure out)
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Who cares how deep the channel is?

How would you ever attach a clincher tire to it? Look closely at the picture (this doesn't take a bike mechanic to figure out)
    Neither does posting photos

Russian Troll Farmer
    I once saw some homeless guy who had managed this-probably sorta works if your tire is tight, you keep the pressure under 25 psi, and you don't mind the bead occasionally blowing off the rim....

But, seriously, either buy some tubulars, or replace the rims. A classic like this deserves to be left intact. Since you seem to be averse to pumping up your tires, I'd suggest a good tire with butyl tubes, like the Conti Sprinter. There is also a decent Vittoria butyl tubular, but the brand name escapes me...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Pretty much every clincher sold in the USA (I know...not ALL of them)has 'must be mounted on hook bead rim' or something to that effect on the sidewall. It doesn't take a genius to deduce that a tubular rim can't be described as having a 'hook bead'. Anyone that's installed a clincher tire should be able to figure this out. If you're holding a tubular wheel and have even the most vague idea about how they work you should be able to figure out that a clincher tire is definitely not going to work on a tubular rim. At least the OP posted in the correct section, I'll give him that.

changingleaf
    Get a tubular tire with a butyl tube, it will stay inflated longer. You still need to check your pressure every time you ride, especially if it's been more than a few days. Or I think that a tubeless tubular like those made by Clement and Tufo are even better because if you get a puncture it can repaired fairly easy by putting some sealant in the valve hole (after removing the valve core).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I'm not sure how intelligence factors into knowledge of component compatibility. I'm not a bike mechanic and I would guess that most experienced intelligent riders who have day jobs that are not cycling related would not be able to answer my question.

So.. Thanks for that. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

The point is (per the photos posted by tlg) that there is zero possibility of this working, and in order to not be able to see this suggests a complete lack of understanding of how tires work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Get a tubular tire with a butyl tube, it will stay inflated longer. You still need to check your pressure every time you ride, especially if it's been more than a few days. Or I think that a tubeless tubular like those made by Clement and Tufo are even better because if you get a puncture it can repaired fairly easy by putting some sealant in the valve hole (after removing the valve core).
    This in no way would answer his question. He's talking about riding a couple of times per month or less. He's going to have to pump up his tires every time he rides, butyl tubes or not. Re-read the last paragraph of his original post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    He should just give it up and get some solid rubber tires at Wallie's.
    BANNED