Clydesdale wheelset Q&A
    Have any Grey Poupon????
    May 2010

Clydesdale wheelset Q&A

ive been riding for several years now but recently got a Giant TCR Advanced all stock.
    i currently weight roughly 260lbs and im not sure how much i like these Stock 16/24 spoke count wheels.
    I used to have a Carbon litespeed with Zipp 404s and rode the hell out of it and i was still probably around 225 then.
    I'd like to get some semi deep 35mm+ wheels that are proven pretty sturdy?
    I always run Conti GP4000s in 25mm.

Whats a lower priced wheelset with a semi deep dish wheel for a big boy?!!
    Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself- William Faulkner

Road: 2019 Giant TCR Advanced
    MTB: 2019 Giant Fathom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006 View Post
    ive been riding for several years now but recently got a Giant TCR Advanced all stock.
    i currently weight roughly 260lbs and im not sure how much i like these Stock 16/24 spoke count wheels.
    I used to have a Carbon litespeed with Zipp 404s and rode the hell out of it and i was still probably around 225 then.
    I'd like to get some semi deep 35mm+ wheels that are proven pretty sturdy?
    I always run Conti GP4000s in 25mm.

Whats a lower priced wheelset with a semi deep dish wheel for a big boy?!!
    I responded in beginners forum, but let me suggest for a big guy, 36 x 3 cross spoked aluminum rims custom built on a pair of nice cup and cone hubs, will be the best, hands down. These are usually cheap, under $500, nothing tricky, just solid, stiff, responsive wheels that can carry lots of weight.

There are many rim choices, generally aimed at cyclocross, gravel riding, loaded touring, 29er mountainbiking. "Box section" rims with spoke eyelets are also bullet proof. The 36 spokes hold things together, so the rim can be box shaped and very stiff climbing and such.

Custom wheels will come out of the box hand trued. Tensioned to a middle C, they've lasted forever for me, +/- 160#, on two bikes with 75,000 miles on each. I've replaced the rims on each pair of hubs once, due to wear from braking, getting away with using the original stainless steel spokes. Strength, agility, more than compensate for a slight weight handicap. Once rolling, there's not that much difference.

Go up to 28 mm tires, also. They'll give a more comfortable ride and you'll never notice the difference from 25s unless you're stuck in too high a gear going up a climb.

changingleaf
    A Boyd Altamont 30mm alloy rim with DT Swiss 350 hubs and a steel freehub to handle the torque of your size. Or if you want a carbon rim Alto Cycling C40 (40mm) rim is a good choice.

What the what???
    H Plus Son Archetype rims
    DT Swiss Champion 14 ga. stainless steel spokes
    DT Swiss Brass nipples
    Shimano 105 hubs

Go 32/32 at a minimum. Personally I'd go 36/36 or 36/32 would be okay as well. A bombproof combo for not a lot of money. I've used prowheelbuilder.com a few times with great results. Their website lets you play with building custom wheel combinations to see what you like and what options are out there.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Banned Sock Puppet
    The most important item with a rider your size is the more spokes the better. 32 minimum, preferably 36. Spoke gauge is less important than number of spokes. Remember, the fewer spokes you have, the more load on each spoke, not to mention the more your wheel will flex and possibly cause brake rub during climbs. I am 170lbs. and build all my own wheels with at least 32 spokes on the rear wheel.

The next most important item is to get a robust rim. DT Swiss R460, H+ Son Archetype and HED Belgium series (from least to most expensive) are all good choices depending on your budget. Aero rims are of minimal value for a guy your size. Avoid Mavic.

You may want to go with wider tires too if your bike frame can fit them.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein