Comfort vs. Speed in tire change - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeman View Post
    I am approaching 3,000 mi. on my 700x30 tires and contemplating going to 28mm’s to pick up a little speed.
    What I don't understand is what's the point of picking up a "little speed"? It doesn't sound like you're racing. If I was still racing a little speed would be important, but I ride for fun and exercise. Having a tire that's a little slower doesn't impact my fun to any significant degree and the slight extra effort just makes for better exercise. Comfort and durability are more important for me.

Of course, everybody can spend their money however they want to gain incremental amounts of speed if that makes them happy. However, the tire width change you are considering isn't going to do it.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Vittoria, Veloflex, Challenge.
    So you're telling me that the 320 TPI on a Vittoria Corsa is one layer?
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    So you're telling me that the 320 TPI on a Vittoria Corsa is one layer?
    yes and so was Leonard Zinn.

"A handmade tubular or “open tubular” clincher tire is generally made by folding the edges over and sewing them together (tubular) or folding them over a Kevlar bead (open tubular clincher). But the doubling over of the casing along the edge is not added to the thread count. When it says 290TPI or 320TPI on a high-end handmade tire of this type, that is what’s in one layer of casing (which is two layers of threads)."

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    yes and so was Leonard Zinn.

"A handmade tubular or “open tubular” clincher tire is generally made by folding the edges over and sewing them together (tubular) or folding them over a Kevlar bead (open tubular clincher). But the doubling over of the casing along the edge is not added to the thread count. When it says 290TPI or 320TPI on a high-end handmade tire of this type, that is what’s in one layer of casing (which is two layers of threads)."
    OK, so if it's two layers of threads, then that makes the 320 TPI tire two layers of 160 TPI, correct?
    "If someone needs 200 rolls of toilet paper for a 14-day quarantine, they probably should have made a doctor's appointment way before the COVID-19 outbreak." -- Unknown

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thank you Rogus. I totally agree with you and I am riding similar to how you described. I will be replacing my tires soon and was looking for some opinions. Based on the replies I sticking to my routine and replacing what I have....but maybe with a higher TPI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogus View Post
    What I don't understand is what's the point of picking up a "little speed"? It doesn't sound like you're racing. If I was still racing a little speed would be important, but I ride for fun and exercise. Having a tire that's a little slower doesn't impact my fun to any significant degree and the slight extra effort just makes for better exercise. Comfort and durability are more important for me.

Of course, everybody can spend their money however they want to gain incremental amounts of speed if that makes them happy. However, the tire width change you are considering isn't going to do it.
    I agree to a certain extent.

I really don't give a crap and would not notice the different between doing a century at 19.7 or 20 mph average. Or whatever, just throwing out some numbers.

But I do have some 40mm tires that are super comfortable and flat prone. And those do take away from my enjoyment on pure asphalt riding as compared to a 25ish race type tire. I have not idea how much slower they really are. But I definitely notice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12