Comfort vs. Speed in tire change
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020

Comfort vs. Speed in tire change

I am approaching 3,000 mi. on my 700x30 tires and contemplating going to 28mmís to pick up a little speed. I have a 2017 Specialized Diverge Sport that, when new, was set up for gravel with the 30mmís but I use mostly for road. I am 67 yrs. old I ride approx. 120 mi. a week. I Was going to upgrade my bike but am going to test different tires for a while before I do that. Any advice?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Replace each tire as it wears. The rear will likely need replacement first. Rotate the front tire to the rear wheel, and buy a 28mm tire for the front. Switch from a wire beaded tire to a Kevlar/folding bead tire. Comfort is more a result of tire pressure, so experiment with lower tire pressures.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Iím thinking of going from 32 to 28 this summer. I think it will be plenty comfortable while saving a few grams.

Having said that, I have a second pair of wheels shod with some hefty 32s. I figure those will be useful on rides including logging roads or light gravel.

And then thereís the dream of getting a Salsa Warbird ...

'brifter' is f'ing stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeman View Post
    I am approaching 3,000 mi. on my 700x30 tires and contemplating going to 28mmís to pick up a little speed. I have a 2017 Specialized Diverge Sport that, when new, was set up for gravel with the 30mmís but I use mostly for road. I am 67 yrs. old I ride approx. 120 mi. a week. I Was going to upgrade my bike but am going to test different tires for a while before I do that. Any advice?
    You won't go any faster by doing this. What pressure are you inflating the 30mm tires to and how much do you weigh?
    #promechaniclife

What the what???
    In general, go with the widest tires your bike will accommodate inflated to the lowest pressure that doesn't cause pinch flats...
    Given his penchant for nicknames, and his aversion to reading, I've decided to shorten Donald J. Trump to it's essence: Dump*

I was "social distancing" before it was cool.

changingleaf
    The same tire 2mm narrower is not going to make a difference in speed. Tires that have heavy flat resistant barriers or low TPI can add a lot of rolling resistance. Like others have said you may want to lower the pressure and use a tire that is lighter and has lower rolling resistance. Not too low to cause rim hits, but lower pressure will be more comfortable, last longer and less likely to puncture when running over sharp objects.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I am approaching 3,000 mi. on my 700x30 tires and contemplating going to 28mmís to pick up a little speed. I have a 2017 Specialized Diverge Sport
    Are you sure you have a Diverge Sport?
    Specs I looked up says it has these tires 28mm tires
    Specialized Espoir Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x28mm

Says the Diverge Comp has
    Roubaix Pro 2BR, 700x30/32mm, 2Bliss Ready, 120TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt, Endurant casing

Going from 28's to 30's isn't going to pick up noticeable speed if at all. However, if you have 60tpi wire bead tires, going to a better tire with folding bead and higher thread count will be an improvement.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    op, it's not as simple as bigger = more comfortable and smaller = faster as a rule.

TPI makes a big difference in comfort and even if that was the same between two different sized tires, which is faster would depend on your body weight and road conditions. (assuming optimum PSI in each).

One will be faster than the other but when you are talking 2mm it won't be by enough to make any real difference.

Then there's the issue of perception vs reality. A lot of people feel faster on 23ish tires with high PSI. But perception isn't always reality.

Vittoria Corsa now makes a 30 mm tire. That might be a good one for you to look at to maintain, likely improve upon, the comfort you have and probably gain a little speed to. Their 28mm tires is also really good if you insist on trying 28.
    Not the best for longevity and flat protection but they are really good for speed and comfort.

Banned Sock Puppet
    As others here have already said, there are greater factors that impact speed and comfort than tire width. 2mm difference will not make a noticeable difference in speed regardless.

A more supple tire will be both faster and more comfortable at the expense of sidewall cuts. That being said, if your riding is primarily on paved roads, sidewall cuts are very rare - most punctures will be in the tread surface. Supple high thread count tires are also more expensive. Rene Herse makes some excellent tires which are super comfy and roll really nice, but they are expensive:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-chinook-pass/

Also, don't be fooled my some tire companies' claims of TPI. A few tire makers advertise their tires as over 300 TPI which are really 3 layers of 100. 120 is definitely more supple than 60 which is definitely more supple than 30. Any claim of more than 120 TPI is poppycock.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Any claim of more than 120 TPI is poppycock.
    That's not true.

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/wh...pi-357058.html

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Precisely my point in your own words here:

In other words it's Conti's way of trying to fool people that they use 330 when it's actually 110.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Precisely my point in your own words here:
    No that wasn't your point.

"Any claim of more than 120 TPI is poppycock."

Continental's claim is not any claim it's their claim. Some companies claim higher than 120 and it's for a single layer of casing thus not poppycock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thank you. I agree with the consensus of responders...going 2mm down will not give me much speed. The tires I currently have are Espoir Sport 700x30 60 TPI with a recommendEd 85-95 psi. I am testing at 70 psi now and will await results...thank again

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thank you Jay. Iíll research the. Vittoria. Longevity not as much of a concern as flat protection.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thank you Lombard for your advice. I have some research to do but I think Iíll be staying with the 30mm tires based on the responses. I have been happy with my current Espoir Sport tire for 3000 miles. Itís a 60 TPI wire bead but based on your response I have some work to do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Currently riding Espoir Sport 60 TPI....recommended psi 85-95. I am satisfied with the 3000 mi. I put on them....think Iíll stick with the 30mm and research TPI

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Yes it is. I couldnít copy/paste photo of the tire but it is a Espoir Sport 700x30mm...85-95 psi and 60TPI

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Cxwrench. Thanks for reply.
    Recommended Psi for the Espoir Sport is 85-95. I have been using bet. 70-75 psi. I am 6í4Ē 210 lbs.....hey Iím trying!

Banned Sock Puppet
    No that wasn't your point.

"Any claim of more than 120 TPI is poppycock."

Continental's claim is not any claim it's their claim. Some companies claim higher than 120 and it's for a single layer of casing thus not poppycock.
    Can you name one?

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Thank you Lombard for your advice. I have some research to do but I think Iíll be staying with the 30mm tires based on the responses. I have been happy with my current Espoir Sport tire for 3000 miles. Itís a 60 TPI wire bead but based on your response I have some work to do.
    Rene Herse doesn't make a 30mm tire, so I linked the 28mm Chinook Pass. They also make a 32mm tire, but not sure if that one will fit in your bike.

You will probably notice a difference going from a 60 TPI wire bead tire to a 120 TPI aramid bead tire.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thanks again Lombard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2020
    Thanks changinleaf...think Iíll stick with the 30ís and research TPI

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Cxwrench. Thanks for reply.
    Recommended Psi for the Espoir Sport is 85-95. I have been using bet. 70-75 psi. I am 6í4Ē 210 lbs.....hey Iím trying!
    Who recommended 85-95?

Keep using 70-75. That's about right for your weight. 70 may be on the low side, but if you're not getting pinch flats, and you like the ride, keep using it. It's going to give you the best ride. 70 in the front and 75 in the back is probably perfect.
    If you drop weight, you can drop the pressure.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Can you name one?
    Vittoria, Veloflex, Challenge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thank you Jay. Iíll research the. Vittoria. Longevity not as much of a concern as flat protection.
    Longevity and flat protection pretty much go hand in hand. The ones I mentioned, Vittoria Corsa Control 30mm, are beefed up a bit more than a typical super light race tire so they are not 'bad' in that regard but you can do better if flat protection is your top priority.

Keep in mind you can't really have your cake and eat it too. Generally speaking the more you go for flat protection the less you get for speed and comfort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast