Consensus on best tubeless road tires?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

Consensus on best tubeless road tires?

Anyone have experience with most or all of the current tubeless road tires available? Specifically, which 25mm versions are truly the widest, given constant rim width? Not sure I have room for 28's. Rims are Stans Alpha 340/400. I know of the Specialized S-works Turbo and Roubaix, the various Hutchinson offerings, Maxxis Padrone (and Padrone TR?), and Schwalbe The One. Wanted to try the S-works since it comes in a 26mm, but they seem to not be available. Schwalbe doesn't recommend their tires use on the Alpha rims. Any I'm not aware of and missing here?

RoadBikeReview Member
    This may come as a shock, but the Bontrager R3's are a really great performing tire, with no associated tubeless set-up or air-loss woes. I have ridden THE ONE, Fusions, and Sectors. I work at a shop that carries Bontrager stuff, and I am generally not a big fan of anything they offer. Was forced to mount some R3's in an emergency and have been on them every since. Totally trouble free, and performance is to my liking. I have them set up on some HED Belgium Plus rims, which granted make for a wider than normal profile, and the tire comes in at 27.74 mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I have bontrager R2s and they love stans rims. Popped on with a floor pump and barely lose any pressure when the bike is sitting. They could be run without sealant if you wanted to for some reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I ride Schwalbe One 28's and have not had to put air in them in over a month. Super smooth as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    My vote is for IRC Roadlites. They have a lot of air volume, handle great, the manufacturing quality is impeccable (IME big problem with Schwalbe Ones), are durable and can be found for relatively cheap ($60 each shipped).

Mounted on a Pacenti SL23 rim they measure almost 27mm wide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    I ride Schwalbe One 28's and have not had to put air in them in over a month. Super smooth as well.
    Same here! Check them out OP.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    IRC Formula Pro X-Guard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Wow, I wasn't aware Maxxis now has 3 new options for their Padrone tire: 25c 120TPI and 23/25c 170 TPI. I really loved the 23c Padrones I tried but never went back to them since I prefer 25c tires for my Clyde butt. Bet those 170TPI tires would be really smooth riding. They are relatively pricey and not widely available but hopefully that will change in time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks everyone for your input. A lot of them are currently unavailable from the 2 LBS I typically use. Looking into the Maxxis some more, and also the IRC. Wasn't even aware of those!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The good thing is that I haven't heard of any to stay away from so it sounds like you won't have a terrible experience with any tire you choose.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    The good thing is that I haven't heard of any to stay away from so it sounds like you won't have a terrible experience with any tire you choose.
    Actually I've had manufacturing defect issues with the Schwalbe Ones and Bonty R2s whereas most riders haven't. I just chalk it up to YMMV, an unfortunate roll of the dice, the Force wasn't with me.... whatever.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

bontrager tubeless= hutchinson?

Aren't bontrager made by hutchinson? Hutchinson makes for other companies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the dual compound version of the Bontrager R3 tubeless. I like them. They weight about 60 gm more than Pro4s. The sealant and valve weighs about 10gm less than a lightweight tube, so going tubeless adds a total of ~100gm. At this point I'm not sure there's any net benefit. I would hate to have to fix a flat on the side of the road with the messy sealant and tires that are very difficult to get off/on.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    I have the dual compound version of the Bontrager R3 tubeless. I like them. They weight about 60 gm more than Pro4s. The sealant and valve weighs about 10gm less than a lightweight tube, so going tubeless adds a total of ~100gm. At this point I'm not sure there's any net benefit. I would hate to have to fix a flat on the side of the road with the messy sealant and tires that are very difficult to get off/on.
    Look at your "flat" history. Were most of them pinch flats or small punctures? If so, tubeless would have just let you get buy with loss of air. Put your CO2 or pump on there and you are back riding in 2 minutes.

I have had one flat that would warrant putting in a tube. I rode over a broken floor tile that was hidden by a small pile of grass in the bike lane. The tire made a loud pop and I was flat instantly. Those are the kind of flats that warrant a tube going in.

I would guess most flats are small holes or pinch flats. I'm not tubeless everywhere on my bikes, but I will get there someday.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Look at your "flat" history. Were most of them pinch flats or small punctures? If so, tubeless would have just let you get buy with loss of air. Put your CO2 or pump on there and you are back riding in 2 minutes...
    The majority have been small small punctures, but I've ridden with guys running tubeless (and tubular) where sealant wasn't fixing relatively small punctures and they had to put in a tube (or put on a spare tire). And I have had a significant bigger cuts and pinches that required booting the tire in addition to putting in a new tube. Regardless of the history, I'm not looking forward to dealing with an flat with this tubeless setup, even if relatively infrequent.

(BTW. Why is flat in quotes in your post?)
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Schwable ONE

or

IRC Roadlights or Prolight(if you need a light tire)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by samh View Post
    Aren't bontrager made by hutchinson? Hutchinson makes for other companies.
    Maybe today, who knows tomorrow? That's why I avoid Bontrager stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    A pic of the 28's mounted.Attachment 305367