Conti 4 seasons 28c...slow?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Conti 4 seasons 28c...slow?

Hey got a quick one for yall, my dad switched from a worn out pair of michelin prorace 28c tires to a pair of the continental 4 seasons 28c tires and is going really slow! We do a time trial every week and in perfect, ideal conditions (70 degrees, no wind, and no traffic) he was 90 seconds slower than his "usual" (been within 10 seconds for the last 3 weeks...my time was typical with my usual tires). Now I don't think they make that much of a difference but they feel more supple and sticky as all heck. I feel like I could be a crit racer with these things. But they don't feel very fast and I was wondering what other people have experienced. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

How long is TT?

Quote Originally Posted by FlatlandRoller
    We do a time trial every week and in perfect, ideal conditions (70 degrees, no wind, and no traffic) he was 90 seconds slower than his "usual" (been within 10 seconds for the last 3 weeks...my time was typical with my usual tires).
    No way that properly inflated tires made that much difference. For a 10 mile TT, a full-on TT bike would make about that much difference, but never a set of tires. Look to some other reason. Run repeat TTs with the tires, or swap the tires to other riders (like you) to find out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    No way that properly inflated tires made that much difference. For a 10 mile TT, a full-on TT bike would make about that much difference, but never a set of tires. Look to some other reason. Run repeat TTs with the tires, or swap the tires to other riders (like you) to find out.

Actually it would be pretty easy to just swap the wheels, we'll have to try that. Do you really think a full on TT bike would be that much faster than a "regular" bike with clip ons?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

TT bike effect

Quote Originally Posted by FlatlandRoller
    Do you really think a full on TT bike would be that much faster than a "regular" bike with clip ons?
    No, a full on TT bike would be that much faster than a regular road bike. Aero bars are, in most cases, the source of much of the time improvement over a regular bike. That assumes that you can still breath well in the aero position, which in practice often requires that you move your seat forward to open up the angle between legs and torso.

getting older
    I've been racing on and off for a number of years and have settled on the GP 4 Seasons. I use a 23 front and 25 rear. They grip and ride as well as some of the best and I've managed only 2 flats in the past two years on these tires - switching them out once I hit threads.

What is your weight and tire pressure? My preference is about about 110 PSI for a 185lb rider.