Conti GP 4 Seasons 28c vs 32c
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    35

    Conti GP 4 Seasons 28c vs 32c

    I’ll be going on my 3rd set of GP4’s (28c). For the type of riding I do, and my priority (puncture resistance), these are ideal tires.

    My frame can accommodate 32c tires, and I was toying with the idea of going 32c when I change tires.

    Anyone who has related experience care to chime in? I’m not too concerned about weight. But am tempted to try for added comfort and *better* protection against pinch flats.

  2. #2
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,301
    28mm v 32mm.

    Generally you would lower the pressure 10ish psi going from 28mm tires to 32mm to maintain the same surface tension or feel. But...because you have more air volume in the 32mm tire you can actually drop down more. The additional volume will protect the rim a little better so you can go lower and get a better ride, and better traction. In my case I'd inflate 28mm tires to around 70. For the same 'feel' with a 32mm tire I'd inflate to around 60, but I would personally go to low-mid 50s.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Srode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    In my case I'd inflate 28mm tires to around 70. For the same 'feel' with a 32mm tire I'd inflate to around 60, but I would personally go to low-mid 50s.
    might want to add your weight for better perspective.
    Gravel Rocks

    Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,998
    Tires wear out. Regardless of that you think of them there really isn't much risk in doing the only thing you can do to see what you think and that is trying them.
    You might not be impressed but there is about 0% chance you'd decide an extra 4mm will make the unusable.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    621
    If you like 28s, you'll probably like 32s even more. At it's worse, it's just a short term experiment.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    21,013
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    I’ll be going on my 3rd set of GP4’s (28c). For the type of riding I do, and my priority (puncture resistance), these are ideal tires.

    My frame can accommodate 32c tires, and I was toying with the idea of going 32c when I change tires.

    Anyone who has related experience care to chime in? I’m not too concerned about weight. But am tempted to try for added comfort and *better* protection against pinch flats.
    The wider tires at lower pressures will also wear longer and give you better traction. They might be difficult to remove from the bike because of the width getting past the brake pads.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    They might be difficult to remove from the bike because of the width getting past the brake pads.
    Not if it's deflated.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    The wider tires at lower pressures will also wear longer and give you better traction. They might be difficult to remove from the bike because of the width getting past the brake pads.
    Not an issue for me, with disc brakes.

    Will give the 32c a go then.

    Thanks all!

  9. #9
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    might want to add your weight for better perspective.
    Good point, I forgot to do that. I'm just at or slightly below 170.


    Wonder if the OP got my subtle hint about not using 'C' and using the proper 'mm'?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-07-2010, 08:45 AM
  2. Continental GP 4-seasons vs other conti tires
    By paul2432 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 07:36 PM
  3. Continental GP 4-Seasons IN 28MM?
    By KeatonR in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 11:16 PM
  4. Conti 4 seasons 28c...slow?
    By FlatlandRoller in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 04:27 PM
  5. Conti GP 4 seasons
    By roadboy in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 08:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.