Continental GP 4-Seasons IN 28MM?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005

Continental GP 4-Seasons IN 28MM?

I'm looking to make my cyclocross bike more road worthy as I consider entering a big road ride in the mountains next summer. I've decided I want 25mm (or even a touch wider?) tires, since I can fit them, and have been looking at the Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires. But then I read that Continentals run a bit narrow ...

So now I'm seriously considering the Continental Grand Prix 4-Seasons in a 28. Is that absurd? I have the room, but will I be working a lot harder over 120 miles than those riding on 23s?

Looks like the 28 weighs 256 grams and can be inflated to 115. Since Continentals run small, maybe this tire will be more like an actual 25?
    Lemond Poprad: Cross/Road
    Bianchi Denali: Mountain
    Surly LHT: Town/Commuter

"the feel of steel"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Supposedly the 28's will have a lower rr than 25's all things being equal same tubes tyre compound etc, but there is a performance cut off point where the increased drag at higher speeds with wider tyres overrides the lower rr, so you could go 25 in front and 28 rear this will make for low rr and a very comfy ride and most of the wind resistance is up the front so unless you are tting your ride solo and looking for every sec than that set up would be ideal. l'm not sure what you weigh but l am 65kg and race with 25 rear and 23 front and only run 95psi in the rear being a wider tyre, l also train with 28mm mich citys and run about 80-85psi lf l ran 115psi in those than l would be bouncing off every bump in the road and not getting the best out of going to a wider tyre (comfort).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I have a 28 mm 4 season. Measures closer to 25 mm and I have never flatted on it. I have about 5 flats on a regular 25 mm gp4000 with about the same mileage even though I run the 4-season on the rear exclusively and have usually run the GP4000 on the front. The 4season is a great winter tire.

No way should you run 115 psi on the 4season. 85-90psi is great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    So it's closer to a 25, but I assume it looks bigger than your GP4000? Is that odd to have two different sized tires on your bike? And I've heard it's a great winter tire, but how about a great tire to be on the bike all year (and specifically, for a century type event)?
    Lemond Poprad: Cross/Road
    Bianchi Denali: Mountain
    Surly LHT: Town/Commuter

"the feel of steel"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    At the time probikekit only had one in stock, so I bought it.

It's quite common to have a wider tire on the rear for more comfort.

I've used this tire in several road races that went partly over dirt roads and even on a couple of hill climb races and it was fine. At the moment it's on my singlespeed but is getting swapped over to my regular road bike tomorrow for the first outside road ride for several weeks. I would definitely recommend it for a century at any time of year. Good comfort and performance.