Continental GR 4 Season first impression.
    Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014

Continental GP 4 Season first impression.

Cooler weather is here, and my summer tires were beat, so I took a chance on the GP 4 season. I wanted a more durable tire since I'll be riding at night and want to lower the chances of a flat. After my first ride I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they ride and handle. I'm running 700 x 25 at 95PSI, and they are pretty supple. What really surprised me was the low rolling resistance. I don't notice much difference between them and the GP4000s tires I replaced. Not quite as fast, but really close. I know this is only one ride, but after 35 miles they feel really nice. Grippy, smooth, and reasonably fast. No idea about durability yet, but I'll update if my impressions change.
    Last edited by dmanthree; 10-05-2014 at 02:01 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I agree with you. I have been running the as my primary tire since 2009 and they have worked out great. Only one flat in over 12,000 miles and it was a pinch flat from hitting a serious pothole that had been filled up with the rain coming down disguising it as a shallow puddle that should have sent me over the handle bars but didn't.

They wear very well as I get about 5,000 miles on the rear. I have found that they tend to have a rather pronounced squaring off as they wear more so than other tires although they all do it.

The weakest point of Conti tires is the side walls, I think they make them a bit softer to get a better ride feel while still having the Kevlar puncture barrier..That can lead to failures from time to time, but I have only had good luck so far.

If your frame will handle them, I would suggest trying some 28c and run them 10 psi lower and you will appreciate the extra grip and comfort!

I think it is the best all around tire in the Conti lineup and is often overlooked by people going to Gatorskins which I find to be rocks and have far less traction in both wet and cold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I have them on 2 bikes and front of tandem. 28C, and have had no flats on any of them. They do not ride as nice as the GP4KS, but if you don't lean on then hard when it is hot they are fine for all year round IMO, and wear really well as compared to the 4KS.

Wife did tear up some of that mesh on the side of one. But the casing still intact and tire is still in service. I have since got some 27mm Pave Vitts which ride much nicer and sidewalls are definitely stronger. Weigh about the same and are now my more fav and the All Seasons take a back seat to them honestly. You gotta like the green stripes on them though. ;)
    Last edited by robt57; 10-06-2014 at 08:14 AM.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    The Pave Vitts wouldn't fit my frame. The 25s barely clear the frame on the rear. But I have heard great things about them. for now, it's the 4 Seasons in the winter, the 4000s in the summer. Seems to work for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dmanthree View Post
    The Pave Vitts wouldn't fit my frame. The 25s barely clear the frame on the rear. But I have heard great things about them. for now, it's the 4 Seasons in the winter, the 4000s in the summer. Seems to work for me.
    They make a 24 and a 27mm FWIW.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    They make a 24 and a 27mm FWIW.
    Must have been the 24s I tried. Even then there was contact. It was two years ago.