Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Sswitzky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    28

    Converting front wheel to rear

    I have a classic old bike that runs on mavic open pro rims. I have two front wheels, one of which has been sitting in the back of my closet for 15 years. If I wanted to enter the current millennium and add power to my toolkit, could one of the front wheels be converted to a rear wheel with a powertap G3 hub and new spokes?

  2. #2
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,807
    Yes, but the only thing left would be the rim. What you would be doing is building a new rear wheel with a used rim. Take the wheel you don't want apart, and build a new wheel with the old rim. I assume you will be taking the job to a competent wheel builder. But first, check to see if the hub you want is compatible with the old frame.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Yes, but the only thing left would be the rim.
    And the rim is a Mavic Open Pro, a mediocre rim to begin with. Not worth converting it.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  4. #4
    Sswitzky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And the rim is a Mavic Open Pro, a mediocre rim to begin with. Not worth converting it.
    Well, no need to insult. As I said, this is a classic bike. Custom Spectrum Titanium with Campy Record and Chorus. I’ve had it since before you started riding. I’m a 55 year old enthusiast with 3 young kids. So, what plastic wheels do you think would be more appropriate or make one iota of difference in my case?

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by sswitzky View Post
    Well, no need to insult. As I said, this is a classic bike. Custom Spectrum Titanium with Campy Record and Chorus. I’ve had it since before you started riding. I’m a 55 year old enthusiast with 3 young kids. So, what plastic wheels do you think would be more appropriate or make one iota of difference in my case?
    I'm sorry if my reply was taken as an insult. I didn't mean it that way, just that Open Pros aren't that great. Maybe older ones were OK, but nowadays they have a reputation for spoke hole cracks.

    And FYI, I haven't drunk the carbon rim Kool-Aid and don't see myself doing so anytime soon. I'm also older than you.

    How many miles are on this spare rim? That would be something to consider when deciding whether to rebuild on an old rim or buy a new rim.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I'm sorry if my reply was taken as an insult. I didn't mean it that way, just that Open Pros aren't that great. Maybe older ones were OK, but nowadays they have a reputation for spoke hole cracks.

    And FYI, I haven't drunk the carbon rim Kool-Aid and don't see myself doing so anytime soon. I'm also older than you.

    How many miles are on this spare rim? That would be something to consider when deciding whether to rebuild on an old rim or buy a new rim.
    Older open pros are better than new ones, but your point stands. The open pro was the standard at one time, but that time passed long long ago.

    November bikes has a ton of information and informed, unbiased reviews on the rims they sell. If it were me i'd skip reading them and just get a set of h+ son archetypes.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble View Post
    Older open pros are better than new ones, but your point stands. The open pro was the standard at one time, but that time passed long long ago.

    November bikes has a ton of information and informed, unbiased reviews on the rims they sell. If it were me i'd skip reading them and just get a set of h+ son archetypes.
    Actually, the Archetype comes in silver which givea it a classic look. Or for a true classic look, H+ Son makes the T14.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,191
    The Pacenti Brevet rim is a nice box section polished aluminum rim that would be right at home on any classic bike.

    https://www.pacenticycledesign.com/c...revet-rim-700c
    Too old to ride plastic

  9. #9
    tlg
    tlg is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,095
    Quote Originally Posted by sswitzky View Post
    Well, no need to insult.
    Does your wheel have feelings?


    I’ve had it since before you started riding.
    So, what plastic wheels do you think would be more appropriate or make one iota of difference in my case?
    Pot meet kettle. And how the frick do you know when he started riding?


    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And FYI, I haven't drunk the carbon rim Kool-Aid and don't see myself doing so anytime soon. I'm also older than you.
    pwned
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  10. #10
    Sswitzky
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    28
    Lombard’s profile says he began riding in 2002. That’s how I know.

    Also, classic bikes have a soul, so yes, my wheels have feelings!
    Last edited by sswitzky; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:12 AM. Reason: More to say

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Actually, the Archetype comes in silver which give it a classic look.
    Yup! That was part of the reason for the suggestion. Nice rim, good price, high hole count options available (classic look), and comes in silver.

    There's lots of good alloy rims available nowadays. It's a good time to be an alloy wheel fan.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,880
    Quote Originally Posted by bubble View Post
    Yup! That was part of the reason for the suggestion. Nice rim, good price, high hole count options available (classic look), and comes in silver.

    There's lots of good alloy rims available nowadays. It's a good time to be an alloy wheel fan.
    Agreed. There are some great alloy rims, even ones that come close to the weight of carbon rims. Personally, I wouldn't want to ride on them, but that's beside the point. When you make a rim below 400g, something has got to give.

    I am not a fan of low spoke counts either. I have built a few wheel sets. Most were 32/32. I did build a 24/32 spoke wheel set and I cannot feel a diference other than the 24 front feels a little less stiff. Could be placebo......or not.
    Last edited by Lombard; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:01 PM.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein



  13. #13
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,807
    Oh, wow, a newb with ATTITUDE! I expect to see him in the politics only forum soon!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  14. #14
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,443
    Quote Originally Posted by sswitzky View Post
    Well, no need to insult. As I said, this is a classic bike. Custom Spectrum Titanium with Campy Record and Chorus. I’ve had it since before you started riding. I’m a 55 year old enthusiast with 3 young kids. So, what plastic wheels do you think would be more appropriate or make one iota of difference in my case?
    You're making a lot of assumptions here, and you know what they say...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Oh, wow, a newb with ATTITUDE! I expect to see him in the politics only forum soon!
    This attitude is why RBR is an echo chamber.

Similar Threads

  1. Converting nutted front wheel to quick release questions
    By davcruz in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-31-2015, 08:18 AM
  2. Converting front skewer to rear
    By GDTRFB in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 05:23 AM
  3. 700c rear wheel with 26 inch front wheel?
    By everst in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-23-2008, 04:20 PM
  4. Converting a rear wheel from 10-speed Campag to 9-speed Shimano?
    By pretender in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 05:14 PM
  5. Converting from shimano to campy rear wheel
    By PinarelloFan in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 07:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.