cracked rim at spoke eyelet? replace rim or new wheels?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

cracked rim at spoke eyelet? replace rim or new wheels?

So the rims are velocity A23's with round spokes and white industry hubs, 24f 28r. After 2 years my first rim cracked, and now 5 years later the second rim cracked. drive side rear both times. I weigh about 160 lbs.

So I considering replacing the rim versus buying new wheels. The wheelbuilder has not responded yet, he is local, and very good.

HED has caught my attention. i am considering some of their new 25mm rims and wheelsets.

Any thoughts out there?

grizzly moderator
    You could do much worst than the HED C2 or C2+. Nice rims.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I think you've gotten good mileage/years out of those A23s. There's no real reason to try anything else unless it's "just because" but I'll respect that.

I'd recommend any of the Velocity asymmetric rear rims such as the Aerohead O/C or the DT R440 Asymmetric. If you're seeking longer rim life, the asymmetric rim will spread the torque load among better between the drive and non-drive side spokes. That should increase rim life.

I build with asymmetric rear rims and won't go back if I don't have to.

Big is relative
    The Easton R90 SL builds up nice and is 24mm wide.
    Retired sailor

Adventure Seeker
    If the wheels are cracked after 2 years at your weight, I wouldn't say the wheelbuilder is that good. Sounds like too much tension.
    However, I did buy some A23's and they were awful. Traded them to the HED's, and have been blissfully happy since. If I was doing it again today, I'd get the wider tubeless version.
    Ok, that's a lie: I'm doing it tomorrow! Gonna get the Stan's Grails, but only for the savings. Maybe I'll go back to HED and spend the extra $120 anyway... Decisions, decisions! Gonna get Hope Pro 4 hubs instead of CK's this time for sure. Loved the CK's, but that's at least another $400 on top.
    Sorry for the hijack. Yes, get the HED rims. Go tubeless. Thank me later.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I think you've gotten good mileage/years out of those A23s. There's no real reason to try anything else unless it's "just because" but I'll respect that.

I'd recommend any of the Velocity asymmetric rear rims such as the Aerohead O/C or the DT R440 Asymmetric. If you're seeking longer rim life, the asymmetric rim will spread the torque load among better between the drive and non-drive side spokes. That should increase rim life.

I build with asymmetric rear rims and won't go back if I don't have to.
    He did not say anything about mileage.

2 years and a cracked rim = poor quality.

Oh I forgot: these are glorified hand built wheels and will never wear out and are so much better than everything factory built.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    If the wheels are cracked after 2 years at your weight, I wouldn't say the wheelbuilder is that good. Sounds like too much tension.
    However, I did buy some A23's and they were awful. Traded them to the HED's, and have been blissfully happy since. If I was doing it again today, I'd get the wider tubeless version.
    Ok, that's a lie: I'm doing it tomorrow! Gonna get the Stan's Grails, but only for the savings. Maybe I'll go back to HED and spend the extra $120 anyway... Decisions, decisions! Gonna get Hope Pro 4 hubs instead of CK's this time for sure. Loved the CK's, but that's at least another $400 on top.
    Sorry for the hijack. Yes, get the HED rims. Go tubeless. Thank me later.
    I am thinking of getting the C+ rims. Will I need new spokes? Maybe even the new C+ black rims!

Adventure Seeker
    Quote Originally Posted by deadleg View Post
    I am thinking of getting the C+ rims. Will I need new spokes? Maybe even the new C+ black rims!
    You will need new spokes, as the ERD varies from 501 to 592mm. Don't get the black, as the surface wears, it's ugly.
    Last edited by Peanya; 08-28-2016 at 01:17 PM.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I ride 4-6k miles per year. The first rim was under warranty, no cost to me.

Off the back
    If you got over 20k out of that 2nd rear rim, that's not too shabby. Another poster was probably right about excessive spoke tension. Or you took too many hard hits over the course of time. Same thing happened to me on good ol' Mavic Open Pros.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    If you got over 20k out of that 2nd rear rim, that's not too shabby. Another poster was probably right about excessive spoke tension. Or you took too many hard hits over the course of time. Same thing happened to me on good ol' Mavic Open Pros.

Mavic Open Pros are known for spoke hole cracking. A warning sign that they are fragile is that max tension is 90kgf. Good rims will take 120kgf or more.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I think you've gotten good mileage/years out of those A23s.

Really?? Unless he rides 8K+ miles per year, I would not say he's gotten good mileage out of them.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    The Easton R90 SL builds up nice and is 24mm wide.
    +1 for the Easton rims. Also tubeless compatible if you want to try doing that.
    In addition to the R90 SL road rims, I also use the Easton ARC 27 rims on my MTB. Same excellent rim quality and ease of building. Strong as they come, no complaints.

-S

Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Mavic Open Pros are known for spoke hole cracking. A warning sign that they are fragile is that max tension is 90kgf. Good rims will take 120kgf or more.
    Easton can accept up to 122 kg spoke tension.
    https://www.eastoncycling.com/produc...ils/r90-sl-rim

(The ERD is actually 584 using DT nips.)

-S

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Really?? Unless he rides 8K+ miles per year, I would not say he's gotten good mileage out of them.
    Agree. I've got nearly 20K miles on a rear wheel (32, 3X) Velocity A23 OC. Sounds like maybe the builder tends to run on the high side of the spoke tension spectrum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just built up some HED belgium+, very nice rim.
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)