Crakced Velocity AE OC rim, need new rim suggestion
    RoadBikeReview Member

Crakced Velocity AE OC rim, need new rim suggestion

I had a broken spoke on wheel replaced and the shop called me to tell me that there was a crack in my rim. This is a Velocity Aerohead OC rim. The crack is about 1" long right along the top edge of the breaking surface on the drive side. That could explain the broken spoke. After inspection I think I found another crack as well.

I had a dent in the rim repaired a few months ago, so this is probably the reason for the crack.

Here is the question, should i have my wheel rebuilt with another Aerohead OC or use a different rim. My LBS thinks that a Deep V will probably be too stiff and recommends a Mid V, which I assume is the Fusion.

The rim will be laced to a 32h DA hub, most likely with Wheelsmith butted spokes.

Also, I weigh 265#, and generally ride 70 - 100 miles per week mostly on the weekends. My bike is a steel framed Moser.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    I have wheels with Aerohead OC and Deep V rims and don't really notice one being that much stiffer than the other. I use the Deep Vs as training wheels on my TT bike and they actually give a pretty comfortable ride. The Deep V is a really strong rim though and should certainly be OK for you. If you can reuse your existing spokes, I'd probably get another Aerohead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Uprwstsdr
    Also, I weigh 265#
    The Aerohead is a pretty light rim for someone your size... especially on the rear. A Fusion or Deep V would both be better choices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I agree that the Aerohead O/C is one great riding rim. I just switched to a Deep V because my O/C rim had cracks around the eyelets. The Deep V rides great also and is much stronger. Aerohead on front for better handling and a Deep V on the rear for strength is a good way to go.

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    Go with the Fusion. Great rims.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards the Fusion but am still considering the Deep V.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Uprwstsdr
    Thanks for the responses. I am leaning towards the Fusion but am still considering the Deep V.
    Let us know what decision you make and how they ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am going with the Fusion however, there are none available until mid-July. Fortunately I have a spare wheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    If you can find them, Ritchey OCR rear rims are outstanding - your LBS knows how to get them. It's similar to the crappy Velocity Aerohead OC (off-center) that are so fragile and don't hold up. I would not get Velocity hubs, especially the rear hub. Every Mavic rim for years really holds up, but their hubs are kind of spotty. The Velocity Deep-V rims are very heavy.

For a rim to be any good at aerodynamics, it needs to be 45mm or more. Anything less than 45mm the aero benefits are very small.