creeking in rear wheel..
    RoadBikeReview Member

creeking in rear wheel..

okay, so i've had a number of rear wheel problems lately. starting with a broken spoke a few weeks ago during a stage race. normally bladed spokes (Neuvation R350's) which was replaced in a pinch with a 16 gauge..anyway, got the new spokes from John Neugent and replaced the 16 gauge back again. have had numerous problems with truing and "creeking" ever since. should I consult the LBS of which I've taken it two TWICE now or just seek somewhere different with a good wheel builder?
    I've pretty much narrowed the noise down the rear wheel as I regreased the headset and everywhere else that carbon touches aluminum...as well as the rear press fit bearings..
    also, when leaning the bike to the left, I get numerous clicking sounds when on rolling out of the rear wheel...
    anyone had experience with this sort of noise?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Possibilities

Are the wheels properly and evenly tensioned? After that, a drop of lube at each nipple and where the spokes cross are the obvious things to try. However, you should swap the rear wheel to make sure it is just the wheel and not something else. If it is the wheel, then look at the rim for cracks or seam failure.

srf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    You might also try relubing the rear hub itself. I had a creaking problem in the rear wheel and was going crazy messing with the spokes. Eventually broke down and greased the hub internals, and surprisingly most of the noises were eliminated.

RoadBikeReview Member

haven't heard of lubing nipples...

but its a good idea. regreased the headset last night and it eliminated some of the noise that was resonating through the bike, but still getting the click out of the back.
    I'll try lubing both the spokes and regreasing the press fit bearing in the rear hub and report back...

both great ideas, thanks.