Disc Wheels for 2012 Specialized CruX Apex Disc
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    362

    Disc Wheels for 2012 Specialized CruX Apex Disc

    Hey guys,
    I am new the forum and new to cyclocross. I just bought a 2012 Specialized CrUx Apex Disc and love it. I think I have caught the bug and would like to change out the wheels to a better/sexier wheel set than what came with the bike. My budget is around $600 or so. Any suggestions?

    What are your thoughts with Mavic Crossmax 29 disc wheels?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    90
    If you aren't a heavyweight, stans crest rims laced to the hubs of your choice. Otherwise you can do the stock stans crest build with their hubs for closer to $500. They should be lighter than the crossmax 29 wheels, those seem to be good wheels but are more burly than necessary for a cross bike. The crests are ~380g/rim and have a decent track record being used for XC mtb. I know quite a few using them without issues racing mtb. Once I get around to upgrading the wheels on my cross bike (salsa la cruz disc) I plan to build a set.

  3. #3
    Online Wheel Builder
    Reputation: Zen Cyclery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,213
    Crossmaxs are easily the most popular wheels out there (to be sitting in the shop for service).
    Back in my LBS days, I would always see those things come in desperately in need of lubrication. The freehub bodies always get dried out then gunked up. I have seen multiple that are so bad that the dirt and muck inhibits freehub engagement completely.
    Additionally, they are a bit heavy to be considered much of an upgrade.

    You could always build up a Stans Crest rim laced to White Industries MI6 hubs. The Whites are much easier to service than the Crossmaxs and from what I have seen they are much more durable. Additionally, if something does break you don't need proprietary parts like you will on the Mavics.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Crossmaxs are easily the most popular wheels out there (to be sitting in the shop for service).
    Back in my LBS days, I would always see those things come in desperately in need of lubrication. The freehub bodies always get dried out then gunked up. I have seen multiple that are so bad that the dirt and muck inhibits freehub engagement completely.
    Additionally, they are a bit heavy to be considered much of an upgrade.

    You could always build up a Stans Crest rim laced to White Industries MI6 hubs. The Whites are much easier to service than the Crossmaxs and from what I have seen they are much more durable. Additionally, if something does break you don't need proprietary parts like you will on the Mavics.
    Good catch on the mavic hubs. I should've mentioned they aren't known for being the most bulletproof hubs around. Personally I'm a fan of king hubs as they're well sealed and have proven very durable. DT Swiss also makes good hubs, I have a pair of 240s on my road bike but haven't subjected them to the abuse my kings have seen (4 sets of kings, all on mtbs). No experience with white industry hubs.

    Another thing to keep in mind with the crossmax wheels are the proprietary spokes. Another reason to go with stans rims.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    60
    I'd say go for a custom build. Something like a Hope/King/Hadley/WI hub laced to a rim of your choice. Personally, I would go for Crests - nice and light, while still being plenty stiff.

    And yes, Mavic hubs are difficult and their proprietary spokes annoy me....

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    64
    I posted this in it's own thread but got no response. I too need a wheelset for a disc crux:

    Next wheelset project:
    My new crux disc frameset will be here this week and I need to start planning it's build.
    I'm thinking of;
    King disc hubs 28h
    HED C2 Belgium clincher
    Sapim Lasers

    I weigh 165-170lbs. This will be the only set of wheels on this bike. Training, gravel road riding and next year some races.

    Is 28h enough? I ride a 24/20 tubular road setup with no problems
    I like the HED rims as I have had a good experience with them on the road. See my other thread "Latest build" for a look at those wheels
    thanks for any input
    Darryl


    I guess the crest rims would work as well. I think I would go 32h if I used those.
    Thanks

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl W View Post
    I posted this in it's own thread but got no response. I too need a wheelset for a disc crux:

    Next wheelset project:
    My new crux disc frameset will be here this week and I need to start planning it's build.
    I'm thinking of;
    King disc hubs 28h
    HED C2 Belgium clincher
    Sapim Lasers

    I weigh 165-170lbs. This will be the only set of wheels on this bike. Training, gravel road riding and next year some races.

    Is 28h enough? I ride a 24/20 tubular road setup with no problems
    I like the HED rims as I have had a good experience with them on the road. See my other thread "Latest build" for a look at those wheels
    thanks for any input
    Darryl


    I guess the crest rims would work as well. I think I would go 32h if I used those.
    Thanks
    Maybe make it 28/32 if it is going to be more than just a racing wheelset.

    Anyway, some of Specialized's mountain bikes are coming out with their stock wheels 27 (and that is with the non-disc side laced radially) and 32 on the back.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    64
    a friend's trek mountain bike has some 28h Bontragers and the rear one is giving him some problems. It has broken at least 8 spokes and comes out of true all the time. I am going to rebuild it at the end of the season. I don't know if it is the 28h or the initial build quality that is causing his problems.
    With that said it looks like the crest 29er rims only come is 32h
    32h with the HED rims seems a bit much, but I guess the disc would put extra stress on the spokes since the braking force is applied at the hub.
    I was thinking of the HED rim since I have a pair of 32h road wheels I built with them.
    But maybe a disc only rim will be the way to go. Might as well with the disc crux.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    362
    It seems like there are not that many options to choose from when it comes to disc wheelsets for cyclocross bikes. I understand that it is a new thing to have them on our bikes, but I was wondering which brands and how many make them right now.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    It seems like there are not that many options to choose from when it comes to disc wheelsets for cyclocross bikes. I understand that it is a new thing to have them on our bikes, but I was wondering which brands and how many make them right now.
    As far as factory wheelsets you are right not many, but should see more in the future as discs catch on. I believe HED and Reynolds both displayed disc wheelsets at interbike. but I haven't seen them appear on their website yet so not sure of availability.
    As far as custom, disc hubs and pick a rim. If the machined brake track bothers you I believe the Major Tom tubular rim is available in a non-machined side wall. If you want a rim designed without braking in mind you are limited to 29er rims like Stans, DT Swiss and a couple of Velocity rims
    BTW, how do you like your Crux? My frame should be here this week.
    Darryl

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    64
    I ran some numbers on Wheelbuilder.com their calculator shows:
    Chris King ISO disc hubs
    Sapim laser spokes for both
    with:
    32h Crest rims 1608g
    28h HED rims 1761g

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    362
    Darryl W,
    Thank you for the response. I guess I will just have to wait till the manufacturers catch up. I have had my CrUx for a couple of weeks now and I am really enjoying it.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: aries14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    160

    Wheels for 2012 Disk CRUX

    Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Darryl W,
    Thank you for the response. I guess I will just have to wait till the manufacturers catch up. I have had my CrUx for a couple of weeks now and I am really enjoying it.
    Good to know that your loving that ride. I picked up a frame only and for the most part I have everything needed to get it built. I have 29er wheels, but I want a new set for my CRUX... I'm torn on which direction to take. I do know that I'm leaning to having my cross wheels built, but not sure who or how.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    64
    Aries,
    I you want to go custom you can get wheels built in a wide price range. There are several good builders on this forum. I build my own but I have benefited from the advice of Zen and Ergott both are experienced builders. You can also look locally. Make sure you ask questions and talk to the guy who will actually build your wheels. A lot of shops will take your order for custom wheels and then send them out to be built and the local distributor.
    That's what happens at the shop I work at part time. I have built a few set for customers, but the shop owner would rather send it out.

    I am leaning toward Stan's crest rims. lighter than the HED's and don't have the machined brake track. Still looking for the down side.
    Darryl

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: aries14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl W View Post
    Aries,
    I you want to go custom you can get wheels built in a wide price range. There are several good builders on this forum. I build my own but I have benefited from the advice of Zen and Ergott both are experienced builders. You can also look locally. Make sure you ask questions and talk to the guy who will actually build your wheels. A lot of shops will take your order for custom wheels and then send them out to be built and the local distributor.
    That's what happens at the shop I work at part time. I have built a few set for customers, but the shop owner would rather send it out.

    I am leaning toward Stan's crest rims. lighter than the HED's and don't have the machined brake track. Still looking for the down side.
    Darryl
    Here is some data for helping me out.

    6Ē0 tall
    187 to 192 LBS. goal set for 180 to 185 LBS during riding season
    These wheels will be specific to cross riding\racing and must be disk compatible
    Budget is $600.00 so. I guess the 240ís are outÖ. ?
    Only raced MTBs to date but interested in cross and road racing for 2012

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: aries14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    160
    Iíve decided on the Stans Alpha Road\Disk! They are advertised at 1510 grams, 32 spoke front and back with a weight limit up at 250lbs.. Rim is 20mm wide so Iím thinking a wider tier is a safe bet. Should be at my door before the end of the week!! Iíll post up some complete (CRUX) build pics soon.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    64
    Those stan's road disc wheels look like they will fit the bill. let us know when you get them.
    This week I'm getting red cable housings, white Deda stem and bars.
    Next week's order will be the Force front & rear derailleurs.
    With the Force being grey I'll go with the pewter chris kings and still deciding between the Stan's alpha and the crest rims.

    Darryl

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    362
    Don't forget to post some pics

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by aries14 View Post
    Iíve decided on the Stans Alpha Road\Disk! They are advertised at 1510 grams, 32 spoke front and back with a weight limit up at 250lbs.. Rim is 20mm wide so Iím thinking a wider tier is a safe bet. Should be at my door before the end of the week!! Iíll post up some complete (CRUX) build pics soon.
    Stan's Alpha Disc is a great option for you, while they list for $640 thru Stan, your LBS should be able to get them a "little" cheaper. Specs as mentioned above. Also consider having a custom set built for you, if you can spend a little more. Dave Thomas at Speed Dream Wheels built up my curent disc set two seasons ago, they have been flawless. Velocity disc specific rims/DT 240 hubs.

    I'm trying to get together an aero deep carbon disc wheelset, not an easy task unless your willing to spend damn near $2K. I use my cross bike for mixed surface destination races, and a deep...50mm anyway rim, would be a good advantage at times.

    Like you, I'm waiting for the market to catch up.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: aries14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    160

    Not a Great Pic

    Here is a bad shot of my 2012 CRUX Disk... Love the wheels, but only rode twice... I'll post up better pics and more details on the wheels soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by aries14 View Post
    Here is a bad shot of my 2012 CRUX Disk... Love the wheels, but only rode twice... I'll post up better pics and more details on the wheels soon.
    any mounting holes in the seat stay bridge?

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    64
    None on mine.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: turbodog13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5
    Any update on how the wheels ride? I just bought the same bike and love it, but it needs to go on a bit of a diet.

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Specialized Crux
    By jbrandt in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 307
    Last Post: 10-20-2013, 02:23 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 08:41 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 05:46 PM
  4. Crux Disc vs. Crux (Bottom Bracket Question)
    By Local Hero in forum Specialized
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 08:36 PM
  5. xo 2 vs crux comp disc vs norcross ex?
    By bellullabob in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 05:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.