disc wheels carbon vs alloy
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

disc wheels carbon vs alloy

bouncing this off the forum.

considering a new build, disc this time. i don't care about aero or cool looking. two criteria are climbing and surviving bad roads. on my gravel bike disc i have mavic's. they're solid but don't provide the feel i love on my dura ace c-24's. ignoring price which i can deal with on my own, what's the thought on alloy vs carbon when encountering an unexpected pot hole or non-perfect road. will the stress cause the carbon wheel more of an issue? trying to figure out a good wheel option.

am i more likely to hail a cab if i'm riding with say dura ace c40 disc or enve wheel than say a hed ardeness or campy alloy wheeel set?

my goal is a fun climbing wheel and not feeling stupid buying a replacement wheel because the carbon wheel didn't hold up in the real world
    Last edited by Trek_5200; 02-09-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    bouncing this off the forum.

considering a new build, disc this time. i don't care about aero or cool looking. two criteria are climbing and surviving bad roads. on my gravel bike disc i have mavic's. they're solid but don't provide the feel i love on my dura ace c-24's. ignoring price which i can deal with on my own, what's the thought on alloy vs carbon when encountering an unexpected pot hole or non-perfect road. will the stress cause the carbon wheel more of an issue? trying to figure out a good wheel option.

am i more likely to hail a cab if i'm riding with say dura ace c40 disc or enve wheel than say a hed ardeness or campy alloy wheeel set?

my goal is a fun climbing wheel and not feeling stupid buying a replacement wheel because the carbon wheel didn't hold up in the real world
    A few things here:

A) The "C-40" clinchers Shimano released..are actually C-35s of old. But "new" name, means they can charge MSRP:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143554
    https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Shimano_Scam_Wh-9100_C60_wheels_P6247487/?page=unread#unread
    https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-c60-scam.html
    https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1165827-new-wheels.html

Note, this BS of rereleasing old product and stealth-specification-changing effects clincher variants of C24, C40, and C60...not just C40. But not tubies.

Which if that sounds like fraud or sounds a bit criminal...that is because, it rather is.

B) The C-40 isn't a carbon rim....it is an alloy rim with a fairing

How often have you ridden under-inflated tires and pich-flatted and killed an alloy rim? That is the main reason people kill rims of any material, aside from being hit by a car.

OFC, for the $,$$$ of buying the C-40s (that are the fraudulently rebadged previous version)...you could have the pick of the litter of the best alloy rims and hubs you can buy (DTSwiss, Onyx, i9, White...). Don't get me wrong, Shimano makes nice kit--but this crap is unacceptable in the business world.
    Last edited by Marc; 02-09-2019 at 05:43 AM.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

changingleaf
    You can break anything if you hit it hard enough, but most alloy rims can been ridden home with a dent. Likewise carbon rims are often ridden home with cracks. If you don't have a history of severely denting wheels I wouldn't worry about it. Carbon is much stiffer than alloy, but quality ones can usually handle a few pothole. Pro riders are constantly bashing these in classic races like Paris Roubaix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I think you're primary concern should be number spokes not rim material.
    "climbing wheels" on a gravel bike might not be good thinking either if you are to be going down these same pot holed gravel roads.

I'd love c-40s on a road bike but no way I'd use them for a gravel bike. Not for what gravel riding means to me in New England anyway.

As for Enve, Hed and Campy........probably neither 'off the shelf' because from what I understand they are road wheels. But the rims on either would be perfectly fine if I could get them with enough spoke to take off road punishment.

[REDACTED]
    I would agree with Jay. I would also go further to say thay on a disc bike, I would never use anything less than 28 spokes (preferably 32 spokes) on both front and rear.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    If you ask Enve, their new gravel wheels (G23/G27) are specifically designed to withstand hard rim hits and not be damaged or burp the tire.

Of course this has yet to play out in the real world.

Otherwise, I would tend to agree with Pete's Wheels, that any good quality rim built well with a decent tire and proper inflation is probably all you need. I say probably. That is unless you are an outlier, and have some unusual riding circumstances, or are just generally prone to damaging rims. If that were the cause, I suspect you'd know it. If you've been riding C-24's without issues, then I think pretty much any decent alloy or carbon wheel will be just as durable as that.