Disc Wheelset for new Goant Defy Advanced
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015

Cool Disc Wheelset for new Giant Defy Advanced

I just picked up my new 2015 Defy Advanced Pro 1 with the Giant P-SL0 disc wheelset. The wheels have come in without skewers etc at 1770gms. Id like to start looking at something a bit lighter to run on it.

Id probably like to stay with Alu probably as much for budget as wanting something compliant, and carbon may be to stiff and harsh to ride everyday.

Initial research has got me to a build of either HED Belgium Plus or Stans Grail rims with White Industries CLD hub with DT Aerolite spokes. Should come in around 1630 which isnt a huge weight gain but should be quite noticeable? and still quite comfortable with the wide rim.

Any thoughts/suggestions regarding this set? Im a reasonable newbie on wheelbuild so thoughts on either rim oretc would be hugely helpful
    Last edited by photomadnz; 09-26-2015 at 09:19 PM.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by photomadnz View Post
    Giant P-SL0 disc wheelset. The wheels have come in without skewers etc at 1770..................HED Belgium Plus or Stans Grail rims with White Industries CLD hub with DT Aerolite spokes. Should come in around 1630 which isnt a huge weight gain but should be quite noticeable?
    Saving 100 grams (or so) will not be noticeable. I switch between wheelsets with far more difference than that and can't tell a difference at all. Even when you switch wheelsets that can be felt during initial accelerations (400G?) that doesn't translate to faster times or faster average speeds. Lighter wheels slow down faster and take more power to hold at a given speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks Mike. Any thoughts on the hardware?

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by photomadnz View Post
    Thanks Mike. Any thoughts on the hardware?
    No, not really. It's tough to suggest hardware when we know nothing about you. Read the stickie FAQ above and the question "What Wheels?" and you get an idea what needs to be known to make any meaningful wheel parts suggestions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I picked up a set of Reynolds Stratus Pro discs on sale after I got my Synapse disc, they are light by comparison to the OEMs and noticeable on climbs. I don't remember what the OEMs weighed though. For a pre-built and relatively inexpensive wheel set they are pretty nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    24 spoke disc wheels? Check Please! [I am 215 lbs] I have built recently several 32x sets and one 28x disc set. Laced the 28 2x and went for one short test ride and came back to the garage and relaced the disc side front 3x. ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The stratus pro disc wheels weigh 1590 grams and are 24 2x front and rear. No problems with flexing for me @185 lbs. Don't think you will find much lighter in an aluminum wheel in the <$1000 price range off the shelf.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    The stratus pro disc wheels weigh 1590 grams and are 24 2x front and rear. No problems with flexing for me @185 lbs. Don't think you will find much lighter in an aluminum wheel in the <$1000 price range off the shelf.

weight schmeight, 6 spokes in that front [& associated localized rim bed anchor points] is doing an awful lot of the work haul down my 215lb fat ars under braking is my concern. And 2x to boot, I noticed a big difference going from 2x to 3x disc side on my 28 spoke wheel under braking. Still not sure if I should sell the 28 hole ones off to a lighter rider... ;)

My 32 spoke 3x set is more confidence inspiring frankly. And I added a 180 rotor on that XTR wheel for the new custom frame that came FED-X yesdity for this new build. I was using that with a 160 previously/initially on the disc Roubaix the new custom replaces.

IMO, and wheel building experience, trending of ultra light disc wheels VS rim brake wheels makes me raise my eyebrows.
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Curious, what did you experience that gave you concern on the 2x 28 spoke setup?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Hi robt57 -

I'm also curious what difference there was in 2x to 3x lacing on the disc side. What hubs were in use and what are the disc-side flange dimensions?

Admittedly the measurements are a bit crude, but we're completely unable to find any evidence that there's a functional difference between 2x and 3x lacing in transmitting torque.

After 4 years on a cx disc bike with primarily 24h 2x front lacing, with tons of road miles in addition to cx use, and now about 2000 miles on a road disc bike, I've never felt anything untoward in braking. Never had a customer report anything freaky either. Obviously I wouldn't recommend 24h lacing for someone your size (I'm nearly 50# lighter than you), but I don't see the lacing piece having any noticeable effect. Would love to know what you've experienced.

I would assume that yesterday's ride (descents of both App Gap and Middlebury Gap in VT, in both rain and dry) could have caused problems if there were problems to be caused, but all I kept thinking was "jeez, these brakes work astonishingly well." Force22 brakes, 140mm rotors (Shimano front, SRAM rear), Pacenti SL25 rim front, Stan's Grail rear rim, Lasers and aluminum nipples throughout, Nimbus TI CLD hubs (same geo as WI CLD hubs), both wheels 24h 2x/2x, both wheels QR, Maxxis Padrone tubeless tires front and rear. I weighed 158 last night and am a very aggressive descender on the road (though sadly not on mtb where it actually does you some good).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by November Dave View Post
    Hi robt57 -

I'm also curious what difference there was in 2x to 3x lacing on the disc side. What hubs were in use and what are the disc-side flange dimensions?
    CX75 Shimano, tension right at max recommend limit, All Sapim Race with alloy nipples. Pacenti CL25 FWIW. Leading disc side spoke heads nipples in.

Difference was I assume some reverse windup [wind down? ;)] upon any med to hard braking. I am 215 lbs as mentioned. The difference to me was a sense of confidence in the feel of braking increased noticeably.

Ciao
    Last edited by robt57; 08-02-2015 at 12:32 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    might want to check out industry nine i25 disc wheelset. came in at 1580g (24/24). i also own set of gail teams, 1640g 24/28).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I'm 170lbs and have two road disc wheels, one with Grail rims (24/28) with 38mm tires for dirt/gravel riding and one with the new Nox A36D carbon rims (24/24) with Schwalbe One's for all-paved riding. Both White Industries CLD hubs, both front 24 spoke wheels laced two-cross. I don't feel any funkyness, even when I took the carbon wheels to the mountains a few weeks ago and got the brakes too hot to touch on a steep technical descent.