Discoloration on Hunt carbon wheels
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Discoloration on Hunt carbon wheels

Have been riding a pair of Hunt 36 UD Carbon wheels on and off since early March. I just noticed that the sidewalls have developed a brownish-yellow discoloration in several locations (photos attached). It doesn't appear to originate on or near the brake track but does appear near/around some of the spoke holes. Have done some long descents but I'm not one to drag my brakes the whole way down - I feather on/off and front-rear and am not a slow descender. There's no apparent deformation of the sidewall or cracking around the spoke holes. Have ridden thousands of miles on Zipp, ENVE, and Black Inc. carbon wheels and have never seen this before. I've never used solvent or other liquids to clean them. Any thoughts or has anyone else seen anything like this? I've opened a support ticket with Hunt and will post what I hear back from them.
    IMG_2053.jpgIMG_2054.jpgIMG_2056.jpg
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    interesting. My Enve 4.5 wheels have a hint of a brownish hue in the right light / viewing angle but it's consistent around the wheel not in random spots like that. Is it possible it was there before and you just noticed it now?
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    It's possible that I just didn't notice or wasn't in the same light, yes. No word back from Hunt yet though TBF it was a holiday in the UK yesterday too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Took a while for them to get back to me, but this was the response:

"I just got a response from my colleague Luisa who is our lead engineer and she has said the following:

those wheels are perfect and extremely safe to ride. That yellowish color is the natural colour of the resin matrix of the prepreg carbon fiber layer. Sometimes this effect is more obvious when there is not much of black coating on the rim, such as in this case where mainly clear coating is used."

They offered to refund me $100, but I told them to keep it and invest it in new products or beers for the office.