DT Swiss E1800 spline spokes
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

DT Swiss E1800 spline spokes

I was on a ride the other day and my ride buddy's rear wheel was making noise. At a rest stop I took a look at it to see if the spokes were loose or it was the disk making the noise.
    His spokes seemed quite a bit loose, so since my bike is about the same age (2019 or so) I decided to compare them to mine. Mine seemed loose too.
    Mine are as posted on title with straight pull flat bladed spokes. When you grab them by pairs, you can get quite a bit of movement where they cross.
    Is this normal on a bike with 8K miles? Anyone know what the typical tension on the DS/NDS is suppose to be or where to find the info?

My bike seems to be handling ok, & I usually am cutting the corners at high speed so I'm a little concerned for the next ride.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I was on a ride the other day and my ride buddy's rear wheel was making noise. At a rest stop I took a look at it to see if the spokes were loose or it was the disk making the noise.
    His spokes seemed quite a bit loose, so since my bike is about the same age (2019 or so) I decided to compare them to mine. Mine seemed loose too.
    Mine are as posted on title with straight pull flat bladed spokes. When you grab them by pairs, you can get quite a bit of movement where they cross.
    Is this normal on a bike with 8K miles? Anyone know what the typical tension on the DS/NDS is suppose to be or where to find the info?

My bike seems to be handling ok, & I usually am cutting the corners at high speed so I'm a little concerned for the next ride.
    Until you tell us what kind of noise it is, it's pretty hard to guess. Spokes can make noises where they cross even in a well-built wheel. Especially an issue with flat bladed spokes. A touch of lube at each cross can solve the problem. But that may not be your problem. 8K miles should not be an issue, but it depends on how well the wheel was built.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Well as loose as they are, oil will definitely quiet the rubbing down. Mine don't make any noise, his does. He's been having issues with disk noise.

I think I could tighten them up if we ever get a rainy spell. I need to know the loading requirements, I wt 175.
    Last edited by duriel; 1 Week Ago at 07:53 PM.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    A well built wheel shouldn't have any difference in spoke tension at 8000 miles than it did when it was new. Pulling on the spokes to see how tight they are seems pretty subjective. I normally plink them with my fingernail but admittedly that's pretty subjective too. Obviously a spoke tension measuring tool is the right way to do it, and compare vs the spec for the wheels. If they are a DT Spline off the shelf wheel DT should have the specs published somewhere, might have to call them to find out though.
    Last edited by Srode; 1 Week Ago at 06:14 AM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Niner RLT9 RDO
    BH G7 Disc
    Trek Crockett

"The Spirit of the Party "serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection

Banned Sock Puppet
    I would say your describing the spokes as feeling loose is a lot more concerning to me than some noise from spokes rubbing. But as Srode said, pulling on spokes to see how tight they are seems pretty subjective. Do you have another wheel you can compare the feel to?
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Yea, I have a lot of wheels and these feel loose. What is a good target tension is what I'm looking for.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Yea, I have a lot of wheels and these feel loose. What is a good target tension is what I'm looking for.
    Hard to describe "target tension" without numbers as in readings on a tensiometer. As stated before, the feeling of tight or loose is subjective.

If you have one, 120-130kgF on the DS and 50-55kgF on the NDS is where you want to be on an 11-speed symmetrical rim brake wheel.

If you have disc brakes, an asymmetrical rim or both, your DS and NDS numbers will be closer together.
    "Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital." - Aaron Levenstein.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Too vague. But spokes will not all go lose at exactly the same rate so you would not have a true wheel if spoke loosening was a big issue.
    And if the wheel was build with them all too lose.....well you have 8000 miles of experience to judge what a problem that is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If you have one, 120-130kgF on the DS and 50-55kgF on the NDS is where you want to be on an 11-speed symmetrical rim brake wheel.
    If you have disc brakes, an asymmetrical rim or both, your DS and NDS numbers will be closer together.
    Thanks, my buddy's wheel is starting to worry him.
    BANNED

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Too vague. But spokes will not all go lose at exactly the same rate so you would not have a true wheel if spoke loosening was a big issue.
    And if the wheel was build with them all too lose.....well you have 8000 miles of experience to judge what a problem that is.
    Very good points here.

"With
    -- DCGriz, RBR.