Thread: Easton ec90 sl

are
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Easton ec90 sl

Any recent experience with this wheelset? I'm not sure, but I think it might have gotten small updates in 2017. I'm really interested in braking performance esp in dry conditions. I've seen a review that said the aero 55, a sibling to this wheel, now has a textured brake track and stops great. I wonder how it stacks up against the new Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro SL UST.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I have the bigger brother Aero 55 tubular. Yes, braking track is a little textured, but it is no where to the same level as that on the latest Zipp, Enve. What the Easton "texture" is actually just a layer of rough kevlar (or some sort of ballistic) fabric. For Zipp and Enve, they actually make the carbon brake surface physically rough. For Mavic, I believe they used laser to etch the surface thus making it rough.

As far as braking on the Easton Aero 55 braking, I would say it has a little bit of a strong initial bite when the pads hit the wheel hard, but then you just learn to ease up on the finger pressure thus modulating the braking power. After a few rides, this becomes a natural anticipation reflex. But overall I'd say braking is like most other carbon rims, still no where on the same level as an alloy rim in every aspect. Even Zipp and Enve textured tracks don't compare to alloy either.

The hub for 2017 is an improved hub, especially the rear hub, in that the bearings are placed wider apart. I can't quantify if it rolls better, it just works.
    The wheel is wide, like 28mm wide, so check your frame because it can be a tight fitting if you use a 25c tire. Forget using 28c tire will probably not fit on many frames.

I was actually considering pulling the trigger on the EC90 SL because chainreactor is having a huge discount on this. But then after doing my homework, I've decided to go with alloy option. But if this is to be your only all-purpose carbon wheelset, then it's not bad at all, especially with the clearance price chainreaction is having

are
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    The chainreaction sale is what caught my eye. I was pretty set on the Mavics, but I was little worried about the very low psi numbers. I'm not that heavy, but it was giving me 2nd thoughts; not sure I want a wheel capped at 87 psi. The Easton looks better in all respects, except the braking. Tough decision; thanks for the info.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Where do you get the info about the 87 psi rating? I couldn't find it on the Easton site.

But there is this generic Easton rim pressure rating chart
    According to the chart, the rim should be able to handle 98 psi, and 98 psi on a wide rim with a 25c tire is a lot and should be adequate for everyone under 200 lbs. Keep in mind that at any given psi, the higher effective volume tire will be able to support more weight than a lower volume tire. That is why you don't pump a high volume tire to the same psi as a lower volume tire.

are
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Sorry to be unclear ... The Mavic says no more than 87 PSI; the Easton is much higher as you found. The Mavic also has a weight limit and the Easton does not. In addition, Easton says the rim can take up to 500F versus 200C for the Mavic. So as long as the wheel can stop well, it seems to have the Mavic beat.