Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I will say this about the Shimano C24 tubeless wheels and Hutchinson tubeless tires. These 2 stick together hard and will not peel in a catastrophic flat. It happened to me. I was on a descent going 35mph and braking into a corner, then got a rock cut on the sidewall of FRONT tire resulting in a fast flat, all this while I was still braking into the corner! it took me a few seconds to realize that it was the front tire that blew out an that I would need to let off the fron brake and use rear brake. Eventually I manage to stop the bike with rear braking. Afterwards, I examine the front wheel and that tire was still firmly stuck to the rim. Not even one section off bead rolled off the rim, not one section. In fact, when I went to unmount the tire, it took a lot of effort to unmount it. And guess what, Shimano and Hutchinson abide to the UST standard. I believe that if ha been another tire/rim combo that is not following a same standard, that tire might have peel off in my situation (braking on front wheel at high speed while getting catastrophic flat).

The caveat is that mounthing the Hutchinson on the C24 tubeless requires beastly effort, and levers.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    I will say this about the Shimano C24 tubeless wheels and Hutchinson tubeless tires. These 2 stick together hard and will not peel in a catastrophic flat. It happened to me. I was on a descent going 35mph and braking into a corner, then got a rock cut on the sidewall of FRONT tire resulting in a fast flat, all this while I was still braking into the corner! it took me a few seconds to realize that it was the front tire that blew out an that I would need to let off the fron brake and use rear brake. Eventually I manage to stop the bike with rear braking. Afterwards, I examine the front wheel and that tire was still firmly stuck to the rim. Not even one section off bead rolled off the rim, not one section. In fact, when I went to unmount the tire, it took a lot of effort to unmount it. And guess what, Shimano and Hutchinson abide to the UST standard. I believe that if ha been another tire/rim combo that is not following a same standard, that tire might have peel off in my situation (braking on front wheel at high speed while getting catastrophic flat).

The caveat is that mounthing the Hutchinson on the C24 tubeless requires beastly effort, and levers.

Hutchinsons fit tight. And god help you if you need to put a tube in one.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hutchinsons fit tight. And god help you if you need to put a tube in one.
    and god did help me on that day! A good cyclist samaritan on a jeep saw me standing on the road side and gave me a lift to his house which was nearby so that we could fix the tire, in the comfort of his front lawn and floor pump. No doubt it was a beast putting in a tube,... and a boot too. Got home and decided to remove the rear Hutchinson too as a preemptive strike against such beastly effort again (since the rear had a hole that was sealed by Stans but rear tire was also beginning to square off and I didn't want to wait for the rear to wear to the point that the hole could become unseal, which has happened to me on too-worn tires).

PS: He and I did get some humor out of the many Stans boogers! Had to remove all of them if a tube was to be put in. We found a white rubber lizard that was literally almost a foot long stuck to the tire. Amazing those little white gremlins are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Non-plus Belgiums are not tubeless compatible.
    Yep, that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    I don't think more tape is going to necessarily help the rim form a better bead seat. I use two layers sidewall to sidewall. After the tire has been inflated for days or weeks it should compact the tape better and stay seated when the air is let out.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    One of the problem that I've run into a lot is that once a tubeless tire is installed, and now you unmount it from the rim (for whatever reason), then mounting it again will always require a compressor, and it may never seal as well as the first time it was mounted! Never able to pump it up again with a regular floor pump. So yeah, that's my 'nother reason to not unmount a tubeless tire once it's mounted.
    I've not found that to always be the case, but boogery sealant dried to the bead will certainly make things more difficult. It's best to peel that off. A compressor is a good tool to have though. Speaking of beads, I tried putting a (new) 1.95 Renegade S-works on the R90 again, and the bead seam split. The bead itself is fine, but the rubber split in a horizontal line out the outside in a couple of spots. I've never had that happen before. It wasn't even at high pressure.

Edit - wheelbuilders out there - any issues with the Mavic XC 821? Not a road rim, sure, but the right width and likely would work better with an MTB tire.
    Last edited by Pisgah2000; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12