Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 3.0

216K views 208 replies 104 participants last post by  Roadiegull 
#1 ·
Time for a new thread. 2.0 will stay stickied below this for reference purposes.

#68 · (Edited)
Speedteam 38mm Wheels

I ordered some Superteam 38mm carbon wheels on Tuesday night and they arrived today. I have to say that I'm impressed by how good these wheels look, feel, and roll. The finish is very nice and smooth. They are lighter than my Ultegra 6800 wheels. The decals are painted on the wheel so they will not peel off or be removed. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on carbon wheels and found these for a very good price. Going for a ride tomorrow to test them out. The wheels came well packaged and no damage was done to the wheels. The were true out of the box and roll great. They came with skewered, stem valve extenders, brake pads, and extra spoke nipples. They are wrapped in Michelin Pro 3 Race 700x25c.

Shipping Box

How they were packaged

Tires and tubes

Accessories (skewers, valve extenders, extra nipples, brake pads, instruction manual)

Front Wheel

Rear Wheel

Front and rear

Finish

Front Hub

Wheels/tires mounted

Mounted Front (close up)

Mounted Rear (close up)

#69 ·
Looking for tubeless 50mm X25 wheel set. Does anyone know if the Yoeleo SAT's are tubeless compatible? I've sent them two messages on their website with no response which is not reassuring.

Carbon Speed Cycles has SAT wheels similar to Yoeleo's. They say theirs are tubeless ready. Has anyone bought from Carbon Speed Cycles?

#72 · (Edited)
Thought I would chime in on the Chinese carbon wheels. I have had two sets. A set of Boyd Cycling 50mm clinchers that I bought in late 2011 and now a set of Farsports 50mm 25mm wide U shaped tubeless wheels. For reference I weigh in at between 170 and 175 pounds on average.

Boyd as I remember purchased rims and hubs from Taiwan and built up the wheels in his shop in North Carolina. They were V shaped and the narrower (19 -21mm?) because he had not started building wider wheels yet. They were absolutely bullet proof. I took them to my LBS once to have them trued and the shop had to do next to nothing. I also took them on a trip in 2012 to the spring classics and rode both the Tour of Flanders Sportive (140 KM of the course) and road a portion of the Paris - Roubaix course (80 KM) including the Arenberg forest. Lots of cobblestones. No issues and no truing needed. The only reason I have purchased the Farsports is because I ran over the front Boyd with my truck, I am a dufus.... Frankly the wheel survived, a bit tweaked but potentially repairable. I decided to take the safe route and purchase a new set of wheels.

I have had the Farsports now for about a month and they have been great so far. No truing issues (some roads here in Sonoma county are pretty damn bad), good braking, very stiff, no issues with crosswinds (up to about 15 MPH or so) and the FSE hubs roll well. I like the feel of the wider 25mm wheel with the 25mm tires. I am running tubes now as the tires I had were nearly new. Will try tubeless down the road. So far the wheel is working well and the build quality seems very good.

So I think that if you spend your money on the more expensive Chinese wheels or Chinese rims built up by a quality builder here in the states you should be able to get a good set of wheels for a decent price. Just my 2 cents but happy with them over the last 5 years. Also Farsports now has a US based operation. Dan was helpful and responsive on questions I had.

#78 ·
I got the Farsport 50mm tubeless wheels with DT Swiss 240 hubs. I've only got about 100 miles on them. Nothing really hilly yet until next weekend. I do like them and they are fast. Had a hard time setting them up tubeless--had to take them to a shop to get the tires to seal. Running Hutchinson Intensives, which are not the lightest tubeless tire out there. First ride at 100 PSI was a little rough, but dropped down to 90 PSI and I really like the ride. Smooth and comfortable but grips well. Weight with tires and sealant is 5 pounds for the set or about 2,250 grams. Given my set up, I figure that puts the wheel set at about 1,550 grams.

#79 ·
I got the Farsport 50mm tubeless wheel about two weeks ago. Very difficult to mount tires. Had to go to LBS to get them sealed tubeless. Loved how fast and smooth they were. But, less that 250 miles and the front wheel is shot! Bulges on both sides of the wheels in two places. Afraid to ride it. Took it to LBS and they wouldn't ride it either. We'll see how Farsport responds.

#84 ·
Farsports Wheel Replacement

Love to see pics of your front rim. Farsports will ask for them to warranty the rim.
What kind of riding did you do in those few miles? Lots of hard breaking?

Farsport replaced the rim fairly quickly, but I had to pay the $80 it cost to have the new wheel built. I broke in the first wheels per their instructions and did not brake hard until at least 150 miles on the wheels. I put 70 miles on the new rim yesterday and it was fine. I rode easy, no down hill braking or hard stops.

We'll see!

#81 ·
Might buy a set of carbon hoops... there is a ridiculous amount of info out there that is difficult to parse through all the way, so please chime in with opinions and advice!

I weigh roughly 165 lbs, and am thinking about something a little more 'aero' than I have had in the past. Somewhere between 38mm and 50mm seems like a good spot, and I am leaning 50 just because... may as well right?

So, that said, do any of the manufacturers over there have vastly better reported reliability? I know I need them tubeless compatible, and I am honestly not sure what width to go for, running 25mm tires, but I don't know what the current ideal is on the road side of things.

So, any recommendations or just general advice on width/depth? Thanks guys!

#82 · (Edited)
Just received a set of clinchers from Light Bicycle. 45 front/55 rear, 25mm wide, DT Swiss 240s hubs, Sapim CX Ray spokes. Weights came in at 685g/856g (1541g total) without skewers or tape.

These are U shaped and flare out to 27mm on the front and 27.5mm on the rear at their widest point. Internal width is 17.9mm. Inside holes are 8mm if you choose to use veloplugs(get the red ones).

I've set them up with 23mm Schwalbe Ultremos that reach 26mm wide at 95-100psi.

Price was $932+113 usd for shipping and paypal fee. Skewers and rim tape not included. Took a little more than three weeks to receive them.

They look flawless and spin perfectly true. I won't be able to ride them until I finish this new build and since these are my first carbon wheels my review may not be very informative.

(ignore the greasy fingerprints)

#85 ·
I'm looking to build up a lighter 700c disc wheelset than my current BHS/Pacenti SL25 build. I've had good luck with Light Bicycle rims for my MTB. The build will likely be 28h/3x front and 32h/3x rear. The Light Bicycle RM29C06 29er rim looks to be a good pick at 360g. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

#89 ·
I pulled the trigger on some 45mm deep, 25mm wide dimpled carbon wheelset from Amazon (I hear they have a terrific return policy). The company is called YCX from China (of course). I was a little worried when the delivery date got pushed back to 6 weeks. Imagine my surprise when the wheelset arrived after 5 weeks. What can I say. Straight out the box the wheels spun true and all spoke tension was even throughout the wheelset. Taking them out on my club ride tomorrow.

#90 ·
Foam-filled Rims? (PMI or Rohacell)

Hello everyone,

I'm considering purchasing some ultralight carbon clinchers from X-Bike (HP30-360, 30mm depth, 23mm width, 350-360 grams per rim). Their main distinguishing feature is that they are filled with a rigid foam, and that's what allows them to supposedly build the wheels to a lighter weight while retaining their rigidity. Of course, more exotic carbon is used too.

I know that carbon composites are usually built with foam core, and this helps to increase rigidity, reduce local buckling (from side impacts etc), dampen vibrations and improve damage tolerance. However, this seems really rare in the bike world - seems like only Mavic and X-Bike are constructing wheels like this. X-Bike, in particular, seems to be exploiting this to create 260g tubular rims.

Do you think these wheels are likely to be as safe as their regular hollow counterparts despite their significantly lower weight, or is this more marketing than anything? I know this should probably be in the Chinese Carbon thread, but I mean this more as a technical question.

QX

References:
HP30-360 rims: Buy 360g Clincher Carbon Rims,360g Clincher Carbon Rims Suppliers,manufacturers,factories-X-Bike Equipment Co.,Ltd.

Wheelset with rims: https://xbike.en.alibaba.com/produc...mmm_width_bicycle_carbon_clincher_wheels.html

#91 ·
Do you think these wheels are likely to be as safe as their regular hollow counterparts despite their significantly lower weight, or is this more marketing than anything?
Successful wheel design and manufacture, just like any other manufactured item, is all about the details rather than the overall concept. So while foam-filled composite structures might be a great idea, if it is poorly executed then it does no good. The reality is that what you have to go on in questions like this is the reputation of the manufacturer and field experience. So a poorly designed/built wheel with some good idea as its basis will still be a poorly designed/built wheel.

To answer your question directly: How long is a piece of string?

#94 ·
Yoeleo C38 clincher first

Just received a set of C38 clinchers direct from Yoeleobike. First impressions:
  • Construction appears flawless, no rough patches. Spoke tension even - Sapim CX Ray. 20 front, 24 rear.
  • Dishing is perfect on the rear - better than my old Easton wheel.
  • With 25mm rim width (17.5mm internal): Conti GP4k II 25mm tire inflation width is 27.75mm at 90psi. These will be comfy; can drop a few psi.
  • ~1430g bare wheelset weight.
Very early impressions good - as far as logistics and cosmetic quality goes. I'll be keeping an eye on them after each ride.

#100 · (Edited)
Mantel Wheels

Hi,

Anyone was any experience with Mantel wheels? I´m interested in a new set of wheels, and this Mantel wheels seams with good specs and not very expensive:

https://www.mantel.com/pt/mantel-38...vYWQmYnJhbmRbXT0yNjYmYnJhbmRbXT0zMCNzdGFydDY=

For what i can see its Chinese carbon rims but assemble by edco with inspires a little more confidence in the build, but i was not able to find many feedback of this wheels.

Thanks

#101 ·
Is anybody running Dengfu carbon clinchers? I am in the market for some 60mm deep/25 mm wide hoops and their build with DT350 hubs and Sapim cx ray spokes looks very competitive. Most of the other companies in this bracket are cheaping out on the hubs and/or spokes in this price range. Basalt breaking surface looks to be in line with what most folks are doing right now and wheel shaping is very similar to any "name brand". This is not a thread to debate the risks/rewards of buying Chinese open mold product- I am a very happy owner of a Dengfu FM098 with plenty of hard miles on it to know that I trust this company. Just looking for any real-world experience specifically with Dengfu's carbon clinchers.

#103 ·
Thanks for the review. I just got a set of T38 SATs that I'm mounting Veloflex Arenberg tubs on. Trueness was pretty much spot on but I don't have an easy way to check dish. I did get a surprise as I have a 10-speed drivetrain and was assuming I would get a 1.85 spacer with the DT Swiss 350 hub but that didn't happen so will have to pick one up.

scott s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.