Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 3.0 - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I would imagine that a 55mm wheel will have to have an extender on it. My 40mm tubeless ready ICAN wheel set didn't.
    At my age, it's all uphill!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks,

I just realized that I would need a wider rim 28mm and at least 55mm depth.
    The stock one is 26.7mm outer, inner not sure and the 25mm tire measure about 28mm.
    following Hambini rule. to get the best aero benefit since I use 25mm tires.

I just contacted LightBicycle and they offer a 28mm outer, 56mm depth rim.

Now gotta figure out what hub to get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just ordered another ICAN Aero 40mm disc wheel set for my endurance bike. My son appropriated the first set that I had. He didn't think the ICANs could be very good and was thinking about a "brand name" for close to 4 times the price. Now he won't give the ICANs back. He uses 28mm Conti GP 5000 tubeless tires and changed out my 25's. The profile still looks very smooth with his 28mm tire mounted to wheel. We ride pretty strong winds here most of the time and I thought about 50mm depth wheels, but after talking to a lot of long time Florida riders, almost all don't like fighting side winds with their deeper wheels. I stuck to the 40mm depth, which I found very efficient at almost all attack angles. The 40mm ICAN's super light 1355g weight was another positive factor, especially when accelerating or climbing. Now there's an expected long wait before I get them just like the first time I ordered a set, although the advertised 3 month wait turned out to be a couple of days over 3 weeks. Hoping this will turn out the same.
    At my age, it's all uphill!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Well I ended up ordering the 28mm and 56mm depth light bicycle wheels with DT350 and brass nipples. Expected weight just under 1600g way heavier than the Ican I could have gotten the Bitex hubs and save some weight but let see.

I hope they would last years.

There are some section that I encounter good headwind and sometimes semi side wind.
    I hope I donít make a bad choice going with such depth.
    Iím also in FL.

I would post back once I get the wheels and weight them.
    But for some reason the 25mm wheel I currently have measured wider it might be due to the stock rim being narrow.

Can you measure the mounted width of your 25 and 28 tires with the Ican.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    ...Well I ended up ordering the 28mm and 56mm depth light bicycle wheels with DT350 and brass nipples. Expected weight just under 1600g way heavier than the Ican I could have gotten the Bitex hubs and save some weight but let see.

I hope they would last years.

There are some section that I encounter good headwind and sometimes semi side wind.
    I hope I donít make a bad choice going with such depth.
    Iím also in FL.

I would post back once I get the wheels and weight them.
    But for some reason the 25mm wheel I currently have measured wider it might be due to the stock rim being narrow.

Can you measure the mounted width of your 25 and 28 tires with the Ican.

Thanks.
    If there's a lot of side wind, you will feel it in the front wheel. If the tires are the Continentals 4KII they will measure wider. My 25mm measure at just over 28mm and my 28mm measure at 30mm.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
    '12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
    Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
    If there's a lot of side wind, you will feel it in the front wheel. If the tires are the Continentals 4KII they will measure wider. My 25mm measure at just over 28mm and my 28mm measure at 30mm.
    What is the interior width of your rim?
    The Light Bicycle are 21.6mm and outside 28mm they should be here within a month I think.

Wonder how much the interior width affect the ballooning of the tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    What is the interior width of your rim?
    The Light Bicycle are 21.6mm and outside 28mm they should be here within a month I think.

Wonder how much the interior width affect the ballooning of the tire.
    If I recall correctly, it is 17 or 18mm and I agree that the smaller interior causes the ballooning.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

'20 Emonda SLR (Rage Red) - 6.27kg (6.04kg;no pedals)
    '12 Madone (Black) - 6.96kg (6.73kg;no pedals)
    Fujee Espree (Maroon) - 11.02kg

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789