Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 3.0

216K views 208 replies 104 participants last post by  Roadiegull 
#1 ·
Time for a new thread. 2.0 will stay stickied below this for reference purposes.

#39 ·
So I got my wheels today from Farsports, 5 days shipping, about 3 weeks build time for 50mmx23mm U Shape clincher Bitex 24f/28r CxRay.
Actual weight 1530g.
The front wheels has brass spoke washers, but not the rear wheel. Which is odd unless they only use washers for radial lacing. My rear wheel is 2x on both sides.
Mounting ProRace4 tires was super hard. :mad2:

#42 ·
I am very curious about your experience with the SL Pro hubs. I am looking at ordering a set of 38s with 25mm width from Yoeleo and am debated between the Novatech's, that I know and the SL Pro with ceramic bearings. I kind of like the idea of ceramics bearings as these will most likely see a fair amount of inclement weather and a proper ceramic bearing will last longer when grit gets in there (I can show you the evidence with my BBs). I am pretty sure their regular SuperLight hub is the same one I have on a wheelset that uses Enduro bearings and is easily one of the fastest spinning wheels I have ever seen.

I am curious why I don't hear more about Carbonality on the road side of biking. They have one of the better Chinese websites and seem to have a pretty solid set of frames and wheels. On the MTB side, they are pretty well used for frames and wheels, but I think you are the first person who I heard mention them on the road side.

#43 ·
I'm looking into some Yoeleos myself, but I can't figure out what WIDTH wheelset will fit on my bike. I have a 2014 Felt F75 with the stock Mavic CXP22 wheelset.. I THINK those rims are about a 19 outer width, but I can't verify it anywhere on the interwebs. I'm running 25mm Conti GP 4000S II, so I'd like to get a 25mm wide wheelset. Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what my Felt can run (wheel-wise)?

#44 ·
I am looking to purchase my first wheelset but have no idea even after reading various threads for hours!

Does the rim width affect anything? I plan to run 25mm tires. My frame can take rims up to 25mm rims. Should I buy 20.5mm 23mm or 25mm? Are U-Shaped rims better?
I have whittled it down to a few wheels and any pointers will be very helpful.
My shortlist:

baixiangbike - Road Bike 50mm Clincher Disc Brake Carbon Wheels Carbon Fiber Wheel Set

carbonspeedcycle - 25mm width disc brake hubs 50mm clincher carbon bicycle wheel
Yoeleobike - 700C 23MM Wide Carbon Wheels Clincher 50MM with Hubs for 6 Bolt Disc Brakes

Wheelsfar - 50mmx25mm Clincher with Bitex / Novatec hub Model:FSC50CM-25

#45 ·
@timmy09 Based our experience,my suggestion for you is to choose 25mm wide rims, considering your frame can take the 25mm wide rims.
the technology for tyres and aerodynamics and rolling resistance is moving to wider. So 25mm wide beat 23mm wide.

I am looking to purchase my first wheelset but have no idea even after reading various threads for hours!

Does the rim width affect anything? I plan to run 25mm tires. My frame can take rims up to 25mm rims. Should I buy 20.5mm 23mm or 25mm? Are U-Shaped rims better?
I have whittled it down to a few wheels and any pointers will be very helpful.
My shortlist:

baixiangbike - Road Bike 50mm Clincher Disc Brake Carbon Wheels Carbon Fiber Wheel Set

carbonspeedcycle - 25mm width disc brake hubs 50mm clincher carbon bicycle wheel

Yoeleobike - 700C 23MM Wide Carbon Wheels Clincher 50MM with Hubs for 6 Bolt Disc Brakes

Wheelsfar - 50mmx25mm Clincher with Bitex / Novatec hub Model:FSC50CM-25

#47 ·
Baixiang rims

Hi Everyone - my first post!
A few friends and I have been building wheels for several years now using various carbon Rims, Sapim Cx Rays and Chris King Hubs.

I thought I would share the experience with the rims (never any issues with other components and the Chris King hubs are spectacular!).

We used Biaxiang Rims for a while (~12 months) until we started to get some structural failures such as cracking around the valve hole and splits in the rim lips etc. We also found, much to our disgust, a QC sticker over a hidden hole in the rim! It appeared to be a wrongly drilled spoke hole that was then filled with black silicon and covered, with all things, the QC sticker!

Unfortunately Biaxiang failed to reply to any of the issues so they could redeem themselves so we shifted to another factory that has so far been very reliable and certainly more responsive.

I agree that the rims are very cheap, but be wary of the reputation - there are a lot of bad rim manufacturers out there!

#48 ·
I ordered two rear Yoeleo wheels, 60mm, 3k weave, 23 width. I ordered them just before Christmas and I got them yesterday. I ordered to rear because my rear Planet X wheel broke when I was hit by a car and my teammate split his rim using the wrong brake pads on his Planet X wheels. The wheels are free from any obvious defects or damage from shipping. It took them 9 days to arrive in California. I started gluing them already, although they state that they recommend rim tape and will void any warranty issues if you use glue. I have always glued and at 230 per wheel I am less worried about a warranty issue. Wheels arrived trued and look nice. There are no labels on the wheels but they did include some in the box if I wanted to add them later. I will post more once I get on them and put some miles on the wheel. I plan to continue using my Planet X 50mm front and then the Yoeleo 60mm rear.

#50 ·
#51 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a wheelset with at the core (or at the outskirts) a chinese rim from Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods
The RM88C-25mm (RM88C-25mm road bike 88mm carbon clincher rim 25mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd) to be exact.

Does anybody have experience with the fabricator or one of these rims?

I'm looking to build it up along with Hope Mono RS hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes and Sapim nipples on a 18f 24r spoke count.
Go ahead, great service and reliable products. My rims still go true on my CS-RB01 bike, some other guys are happy with their frames or bikes from Peter as well just like me.
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/bi...irect-version-7-0-a-346068-8.html#post4835797

#52 ·

(source:Mega Composit - MR50AXUL)
Hi I am looking for the rims with spokes end in alloy part (sort of mavic type), is there any chance find some "more safety rims" from China market? Thanks
we in Slovakia have a lot of road holes and others anti-carbon stuff :)

#56 ·
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone can help me here.

I have a Top End Force RX handbike, and would like to fit it with carbon wheels, but the corm wheels are way to expensive for my use.

The front hub in total is 130mm and with QR
The rear hubs are only 65mm in width, and with 1/2" axle instead of 9mm or 15mm

The wheels needs to be 650C (571) wheels.

I cannot find suiting hubs for them, and neither does the chinese suppliers have them.

Do you know where I can find hubs with these measurements

THANKS.

#57 ·
Beating a dead horse (Chinese wheels)...

Interested in an 88 mm 25 wide carbon clinchers
The best deal I have found(with basalt breaking) is eBay for $400
Does anyone have any experience with these particular sets?

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/161703134205
Red eagles carbon clincher

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/261901193051
CN carbon
Yes I've googled,read the sticky's,threads,warnings,praises and such
Just looking for new,firsthand reviews
Thanks

#61 ·
Interested in an 88 mm 25 wide carbon clinchers
The best deal I have found(with basalt breaking) is eBay for $400
Does anyone have any experience with these particular sets?

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/161703134205
Red eagles carbon clincher

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/261901193051
CN carbon
Yes I've googled,read the sticky's,threads,warnings,praises and such
Just looking for new,firsthand reviews
Thanks
Wow, 1st post almost 10 years after first joining the forum. Impressive.

I haven't bought from either of the above sellers, but I would encourage anyone to look past the 99.9% feedback ratings, and drill down to feedback specific to wheel purchases. Many of these sellers also get feedback from selling inexpensive accessories, apparel, non-cycling stuff, etc. - pretty useless for someone shopping for wheels.

Also, if you buy wheels on eBay, please don't give positive seller feedback because your wheels arrived on time, nicely packaged, and appear to be "solid" and "good quality." Ride the wheels for about a hundred miles, then get the wheels checked out, tension checked/adjusted, see how true they still are, then give feedback. Feedback at that time will be far more valuable to others also looking to save money on carbon fiber wheels.

#58 ·
Trying to Decide – width and shape of carbon clincher

I'm about to take my first dip in to the carbon wheelset waters, but I have lots of experience with China Direct Carbon as I've built a number of bikes up from FlyXii framesets.

I know I want 38mm clinchers, but I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I want a WIDER rim or would prefer one with the NEWER U shape.

Carbon-cycle on eBay has a 27mm wide rim that they call "U shape," but it is not the same as the "new 2016 U shape" that Farsport is now selling. Farsport's rim is 23mm in width, but is a much more definite "U" all the way down to the bottom.

Both of these wheelsets are 38mm deep, and right around 1400 grams, with similar hubs and CX Ray spokes.

I'm currently riding Pacenti SL23 (v2) very wide aluminum clinchers. I do about 4,000 miles a year on the road, from flat group rides, to climbing, to mixed rollers. I want an all-around wheel. I like running wider tires on the wide aluminum rims.

So can anyone advise on how a slightly less wide rim in the NEW U shape stacks up to a slightly wider rim with a bit more of a v shape?

#59 ·
My two cents gentlemen...steer clear of random ebay sellers that haven't been in operation for very long. The cheaper deal is not always the "best" deal. Most of the stories of delamination or bad build quality come from random ebay or aliexpress vendors.

Yoeleo (I purchased from them and am totally satisfied with product and service.)
Farsports
Light-Bicycle

#60 ·
Replying to myself here, in case it helps someone else down the line. I'm leaning now toward the Light-Bicycle 35mm clincher. It's the new U shape; it's 25mm wide; it's impressively light – 1350 grams with Bitex Hubs and CX Ray spokes.

It moves my budget up to $700, but I think it's worth it.

This just leaves the final decision: to go for the yellow decals or not?
:)

#63 · (Edited)
I have a pair of Farsport 38 mm carbon clincher with DT240 subset and must have done close to 10,000k on them, in 3 years. They are my main wheel set, but I have others in use. At the end of last season, I have installed a 25 mm Schwable One tire at the rear and ran probably 1000 km on it. Yesterday, I had a blowout. Tire look fine, rim look fine, put a new tube and it blow again at 100 psi. I install, my old michelin Pro4 SC 23 mm inflated at 120 psi as a test and it hold. I will run them at 110 psi.
I like the Schwable tire because they were easy to install were as the Pro 4 are a real pain do mounted by hand.

SO is it a defective tire or the side of the rim that flex because its getting old?
How many kilometer do you expect from those rim how do you check if they are safe ? I do mainly long distance ride 80 - 120 km without to much braking...

After close examination, I have found that the hook of this clincher tire is defective. The rim is perfectly fine. This is a potentially a very dangerous defect. You dont want your tire to pop out the rim at high speed, specially if at the front. Those tire have almost all time excellent review, so it must be an exception. I have submit a claim to Schwalbe. I ran 120 m yesterday with my Michelin Pro4 tire inflated to 110 psi with absolutely no problem wit the rim.

Still, I would like to know how many kilometre you can do on those rim. I have used on set of Swissstop yellow pad up to know. Please share your experience.

#64 ·
So I was shopping for a disc wheelset to put on my gravel bike (for use on the road only) and ran across the Chinese Ebay 38mm wheels. I noticed that the build of the disc wheels seems to be the same as the non disc version and my concern is that they may not be strong enough to take the forces of disc braking. Thoughts?

#65 ·
Planning a wheel build for the winter. Looking to get a set of circa 40mm deep rims with alloy brake surface BUT tubular,
Before I send off emails to all the usual suppliers does anyone know of anyone that has them.
Carbon alloy clinchers doesnt seem to be a problem -----but tubular?!?!

#66 ·
#102 ·
Some additional information on Yoeleo wheels since my review:

1. In my review, I reference some brake pulse issues. I realized about 2 months ago that at some point, while changing brake pads, I had failed to set them up with a toe-in position. I corrected both bikes and the brake pulsing issues have gone away. I can't believe that I didn't think about it or notice it earlier.

2. Yoeleo has received UCI approval on their C38, C50, C60, C88, T38, T50, T60, and T88 wheels. This is a huge step for them and in my opinion it really shoes their willingness to improve their position among the other Chinese wheel manufacturers and amongst the more common name brands.

#67 · (Edited)
Just built some Light Bicycle 45's u-shape 25mm wide.
They built up quite easy. The quality is impressive so far. I have been riding them for maybe 800 miles so they are still new. They ride great.
Only challenge /opportunity that I encountered is that Continental Gatorskin tires fit quite snug. Had to use velo plugs to make installing a tire reasonable. I can install w bare hands just barely. Would not give this tire/rim combo to my wife though.
Tried other tires that were in the shop, bontranger and Shwalbe Duranos. They both mounted quite easily.
The Continental / LightBicycle rim combo is unfortunate as I have quite a large stock of the tires to burn through.
The tight fit caught me by surprise as the Continentals fit easily on all my other rims over the years.
Even with the tire premounted with only one bead installed fully centered in the center well you cannot even spin the tire on the rim.
The other tires have play at that point.
Otherwise the wheels look nice, ride quite well in cross winds and seem quite strong. I am 200 lbs and am hard on stuff so I will give them a good test.

UPDATE 1/2/17
After putting many miles on these and also building another 35mm deep set for my wife I will share the following.
Once the Conti Gatorskins are on the rim for a while they are OK to mount with bare hands. They seem to stretch out a bit. Just be careful to keep the bead down in the center well. and the tube well up in the tire while installing. I have changed flats out on the road with no issues remounting tire with bare hands. Wheels are holding up perfect so far and I have hit some big pot holes too. Still very happy with the rims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.