Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Ebay and Chinese Direct Carbon Wheel Thread 3.0

217K views 208 replies 104 participants last post by  Roadiegull 
#1 ·
Time for a new thread. 2.0 will stay stickied below this for reference purposes.

#144 ·
A lot of things can delay delivery, from Customs snarls to product inventory and of course how each individual company handles volume at the shipping point among other reasons. The ICAN shipment time length was stated as 30 days or so. I received mine in 12 days. Luck of the draw probably. Good to hear you like your wheels and are holding up on New England road surfaces. I feel your pain.

#145 ·
2017 ROAD DISC BRAKE ASYMMETRIC RIMS-Yishunbike

New rims from Yishun:

WTD3C-TLR-DISC
WTD4C-TLR-DISC
WTD5C-TLR-DISC

Asymmetric
Semi-hooked
No brake track
33/44/55 height
430/470/500 weight
21 internal, 28 max

The 55mm version ticks all my boxes. A couple of branded rims are a bit lighter: ENVE's 54mm rim shaves about 50g per and Roval's CLX series (in 50mm and 64mm), closer to 75g per.

Still, I'm impressed. When these appear on AceBike or wherever, I'll probably build a wheelset around them. Note that these 2017 models are named the same as the (very different, heavier, narrower, non-asym) 2016 version.

#163 ·
thanks for this, i have been chatting with Yishun Bike about buying a set of 44 mm disc clincher wheels with DT hubs.

Either this or XM Carbonspeed.

#148 ·
Any thoughts on this build as a first foray into all around carbons? No mountains in riding route; longest climbs generally 1.2 miles at the longest.

Light Bicycle
55mm U Shape (tubeless ready but likely just ride clinchers)
CX Ray
Alloy Nips
Bitex Hub

Rider weight (ahem) 185lbs (but dropping. Honest.)

#149 ·
Hello everyone.
Has anyone ordered from Yoeleo lately? I f so what was your wait time like?

I put in an order for a set of Tubulars wheels about three weeks ago, I didn't get a confirmation e-mail and they have not replied to any of my e-mails.
Was thinking about asking for my money back and going with Farsport or Light-Bicycle.

#150 ·
Anyone have any experience with the Superteam wheels?
I see them on Amazon with decent reviews
http://a.co/djKyEZG
http://a.co/al7uQdh

I have contacted the seller for the second one and they said they can provide me with a Campy freehub but will be shipped from China. Other options includes for hubs, I can get Powerway R13 (6 paw version), Novatec 271, or Novatec 291-SL, any recommendation on which hub?

#151 ·
Not sure if this has been addressed, but r reading about the ICAN clinchers, I want to look into a 38mm set for myself. I was told to look into Farsports or Gigantex as an alternative.

Anyone have points of comparison to offer on the alternates over ICAN?

From what I can tell, the ICAN wheelsets are worth a shot, but I haven't really seen them referenced recently outside of this thread.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

#152 ·
I haven't had any experience with Farsports or Gigantex. I put another 2,000 miles on my ICANs this last (shortened by cold weather) bike season and again cannot find anything bad to say about these wheels. Even decided to use them on my Cervelo R2 for a September Century ride instead of using my almost too comfortable Endurance bike. Turned out to be a great ride, great weather and way easier than I ever remember any Century ride to have been. The light weight of this wheel set, combined with the effective aero performance and compliance had to be part of the reason.

No regrets and fully satisfied with the ICAN purchase. I obviously remain a fan of this wheel brand. It's too bad that more cyclists don't post experiences with their wheels and post more often. I find it a valuable resource.

#153 ·
Have many sets of rims from Light Bicycle. Road and mtn. I build my own wheels. Been happy with all of them.

Could not beat their price on a complete wheelset for my new mtn bike project. So I bought first complete wheelset from them over xmas.

Even tension, true, well built.
Very happy with them.

#154 ·
That's inspiring. For me, it's worth a shot at the investment. And they're available on Amazon - so I can ride them hard for 30 days and see where I am at along the final decision making process. I think I am going to take the plunge. Of course, everyone has an opinion on what they think is best; riding styles differ, experience differs, terrain is even a determining factor in the success of trying something new.

I take it all with a grain of salt. I certainly appreciate the insight. Going to place my order today.

#155 ·
Good luck! That's basically what I did. Found out as much info as I could before deciding on the wheels. I probably spent over 6 months doing the research and comparing products when I got serious. In the end, it was... either go for a set of brand name wheels for around $2k or go with a set that wasn't at the time quite $500. At a quarter the cost they made for a interesting value comparison. Plus, most carbon wheels are manufactured in China anyway, so, really not a stretch for me. And in both cases it was kind of a shot in the dark and a leap of faith for me since I had no personal experience riding on a carbon wheel. I went for the Sapim CX-Ray spokes on them, since I do have very positive experience with those.

#157 ·
Finally got them on the road, and they are fantastic. Road feel is so nice compared to the stock wheels. I am dealing with heavy winds down here so I can't say what the speed advantage is yet, but I can say that my ride was noticeably easier than with my old wheels. Holding speed at 22ish mph seems a lot easier. In tailwinds I was going 25-27 with no effort, and into headwinds I was 18-20. Nuetral wind I was able to easily do 20-22 at the end of the ride, this is when I usually am winding down to 18-20.

Only way I can describe it so far is that I feel less resistance to get to speed and hold speed. Essentially they feel like an extra gear. I'll post more after I have some more rides, but this was an amazing upgrade for $600 shipped.

#158 ·
So I got the ICAN wheels in a couple of days ago. Took them out of the box and they look sweet. Without knowing these were made in China I would've thought they were "high end" wheelsets. They look super clean. True right out of the box. I can't wait to slap them on the build I got going. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get everything built up and running, but I am pretty pleased (so far) with the purchase. Will update when I get the bike built and the wheels tested out.

#159 ·
I had multiple people ask me what wheels I had. These are guys riding Zipps and really nice name brands. I just told them straight up that I had ordered them from China and they were knockoffs..lol.

But I will say that I am posting my fastest times with these. Maybe it is mental, but I am keeping up and passing guys who used to pull me. I do think the lighter weight plus the depth of the rim really helps me in these flats. I am able to avg over 19 mph for 50 mile rides, and I was not posting speeds like that before. That's the only real evidence I have for now, but I can say that 22-23 feels so much easier and is very sustainable. My goal is to get to the A+ ride level here - they average 27-30.

So far so good, loving these wheels.

#166 · (Edited)
Whew, I finally received my Yoeleo C60 Carbon Clincher wheels Friday. It took 74 days. I sure hope no one else has to endure such patience. They threw in 2 free carbon fiber bottle cages to ease some of the pain. Never the less, I inspected the wheels and found no unusual things and the wheels look sweeeeet (matte with no markings) and brings a different look to my bike. The rear wheel is not too loud like those Zipp wheels. The build quality looks top notch, but then again I am no carbon expert either. The wheels sit exactly centered between the forks and brakes, unlike my current set of wheels where the rear wheel is off centered - could be due to the bike shop's heavy handed truing. I will get to ride them tomorrow - can't wait.

With the upgraded hub and spokes, they came in at 1545g without the skewers, so well within the stated weight.

Will report back on the 1st ride.

#167 ·
Wow... that seems like a really long time. Was there something special about the order that resulted in a long wait time? What finish did you choose?

I just recently heard that Katrina is back working at Yoeleo. She's the girl that appears in many of the youtube videos and she was awesome to deal with in terms of customer service. It seems like I began hearing stories of the CS going downhill little bit, after she left, so hopefully the fact that she's back means they will get back to being top-notch.

#169 · (Edited)
I went for a 20 mile ride today in a very strong head wind (some side wind, too) to test the wheels. The wheels roll nicely, but that head wind did not make for an easy roll test. They definitely ride very nicely. They are very quiet when coasting and no noise while pedaling. I like how they changed the look of my bike. The 25mm Continentals are much wider than spec (see below) on these wheels, which I am ok with as the ride is much more comfortable. The braking is better than my Profile Design carbon/aluminum wheels and I noticed the brakes don't whistle like other carbon wheels I've heard. Also, I did not get push around in the wind even though these are 60mm.

@95psi - 27.25mm (front)
@110psi - 28.23mm (rear)

Note: This is just an initial first impression of these wheels. I will ride these wheels this season and post updates.

#170 · (Edited)
I just ordered a set of disc brake clincher wheels from Yishun Bike and they were delivered quickly. I received them in Toronto, Canada 4 weeks from the date i ordered.

Shipping took a week.

The wheels look great, no imperfections, they were boxed well and I'm happy so far

I did 2 quick rides this weekend and I'm very happy with them so far.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel
Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Spoke Brick
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

#173 ·
this forum seems to be dying...

anyhow, I'm still here...?tion and need recommendation. I'd like to buy a 50mm ushape disc road brake wheelset with centerlock hubs. I need 12mm on both front and back. Does anyone have any suggestion as to a vendor or link that I can look at? I'd like as many options as I can get. They don't have to be 50mm, but 40mm minimum depth. I'm open to suggestions. Price is very much a consideration as I dont want to drop more than I'd like. I've ridden many carbon chinese clinchers and I'd like to purchase a set of chinese clincher centerlock carbon rims to replace the stock alloy disc wheels that came with my Diamondback Podium. Thanks!

#175 ·
I suggest you talking to Bella at ICAN:
icancycle@yeah.netWhatsapp +86 137 2690 5471

Say what you need, and she'll give you a quote. For these specific orders, payment is usually by Paypal.

I have an ICAN wheelset and frameset (described in this thread about 2 years ago) still going strong. Just received a wheelset for my MTB (8 days from shipment to my house in Houston, Texas). The frameset has minor quirks (namely the old mechanism to fix the seatpost), but wheels are flawless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.