ENVE 6.7 vs. Zipp 404...
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

ENVE 6.7 vs. Zipp 404...

I've been looking for a new deeper wheelset for my Venge for quite a while now and am ready to pull the trigger, however I can't decide between the Enve 6.7 or the Zipp 404. I'm looking at clinchers in both since they would be used as my training and racing wheels, but wouldn't be opposed to tubies since they run a little cheaper.

A little bit of background on me:

5'7" - 147 lbs. Live and ride in North Florida (mainly flat with some "hills" in the big bend region) I have a Tarmac equiped with Zipp Firecrest CC 202s and haven't found a problem with them yet.

Basically, I'm leaning toward Enve over Zipp mainly because of their warranty and crash replacement and I can transition the wheels onto a Tri/TT bike better. I'm looking for a little outside insight into what someone else would choose or if there are better options available.

δanned
    Give those two options I'd pick Enves over Zipps. I've read a lot about Zipps needing their hubs tightened or adjusted every now and then, which baffles me for such a high end wheelset. I've yet to read any serious complaints about Enves. Now, if you're willing to consider alternatives and would like to save a lot of money without sacrificing quality, read up on the November Rail 52. Right now they have an introductory price of $1285, and for only $140 more you can get T11 hubs by White Industries. These wheels have the toroidal shape like the wheels you're comparing, and they're reasonably light (1525g).

RoadBikeReview Member

ENVE 6.7 vs. Zipp 404...

6 of us grouped together last year and had same decision. We went for Enve's.

All of us love them and have no regrets. They are the best upgrade I've done. Found them great in terms of hubs, getting up to speed and surprisingly comfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Look into Boyd 44mm clincher or tubular or the 60mm. quality , service and a great deal. they cannot be beat.
    2014 EVO Di2, 7970 Di2
    2017 Shimano PD-9100 Pedals
    2012 Shimano7970 Di2
    2014 Centric Carbon Clinchers, 38mm and 60mm
    Second set of whees: Shimano 7900 C35 tubulars

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling365 View Post
    I have a Tarmac equiped with Zipp Firecrest CC 202s and haven't found a problem with them yet.
    I also own Firecrest 202 CC and really like them. I've had no problems with them, either.

I prefer them over Enve SES 3.4 clinchers I owned, but for reasons that wouldn't apply to the wheels you're considering.

You can't go wrong with either choice, IMO.

Online Wheel Builder
    Enves have a 5 year warranty, Zipps have a 2 year. Speaks volumes IMO...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    Enves have a 5 year warranty, Zipps have a 2 year. Speaks volumes IMO...
    Careful not to infer too much into the warranty periods. If one is talking about factory built wheels, the warranties are not apples-to-apples.

Enve's 5 year warranty does not apply to parts made by other manufacturers, e.g. hubs, spokes, nipples.
    Welcome to ENVE Composites

Zipp's 2 year warranty covers the entire wheel: rim, hubs, spokes, nipples.

Furthermore, if one is talking specifically about rims used in custom built wheels, then Enve has a rather large loophole in the terms of the warranty insofar as it does not cover parts that have been incorrectly installed, serviced, or otherwise adjusted respective to the ENVE installation manual. Hence, an opening for Enve to decline a warranty for reasons of improper installation or service.
    Last edited by tvad; 12-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    What about the new wheels from Reynolds. A lot lighter then Zipp or Enve

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Owning all the sets myself, 404 fc cc, just got enve 6.7 (haven't ridden them yet) and the new reynolds aero 58. I really like the aero 58's better then the zipp's at the 58mm.

I love my 303 fc cc, but I would really like to try out the aero 46 being released in 2014. If they 46 are anywhere as good as the 58's, they would be awesome.

I would also look at the rail 52 as sauron suggested. Especially with the WI hubs.