ENVE SES Wheels Consumer Safety Bulletin
    RoadBikeReview Member

ENVE SES Wheels Consumer Safety Bulletin

ENVE sent registered owners of SES wheels a safety bulletin today not to use open tubular wheels with natural fiber sidewalls with there wheels or the tires may fail prematurely. They mentioned specifically Vittoria Corsa Non-Tubeless and Challenge hand made clinchers including Criterium SC S, Paris Roubaix SC S, Strada Pro, Paris Roubaix Pro, and Elite Pro. No other ENVE wheels were mentioned nor were any other tires. They also mentioned other carbon wheel manufacturers were contacted and they were seeing similar tire failures on these types of tires.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Any other details? Nothing on CPSC.

Lots of Vittoria tires..is that list exhaustive? It might not impact any other ENVE models, but for road alone SES has at least 6 different models most hooked but also one hookless bead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I missed the part about it applying to some aluminum rims too with these tires, and they say not to use them with any ENVE rims.

Dear Loyal ENVE Customer,
    Thank you for riding ENVE. We hope that you are thoroughly enjoying your ENVE SES wheelset(s).

Based on reports from the field that tires with cotton, silk, or other natural fiber sidewalls with open tubular style of construction were degrading quicker than expected, we launched a study to understand the validity and prevalence of these claims. As a result of this investigation, we confirmed that tires using natural sidewall materials with an open tubular type construction, are not fit for use with ENVE carbon rims. It is important to note that through this study, we reached out to many dealers as well as other wheel manufacturers to see if their consumers are having the same results as ours. The response was an unequivocal confirmation that these tires were fatiguing prematurely and in some cases resulting in crashes and injury to the rider when the tire sidewall failed or the tire came off the rim without warning.

There are two specific failure modes that have been documented and are not limited to ENVE rims, rather these failures have been consistent in our test lab on a variety of other manufacture’s rims, both alloy and carbon.

The first failure is best defined as a cut or wearing through of the natural fibers on the sidewall of the tire at or near the rim’s hook bead. Once cut through, the tube extrudes through the tear and bursts, often unseating the tire from the rim resulting in sudden loss of control and a crash. The cutting of the sidewall is the result of soft fibers (the cotton or similar textile) being abraded by the harder edge of the rim during the rotational compression cycles of wheel and tire.

The second failure mode is that of the tire itself stretching off the rim. This is can be caused by a variety of factors, among them, low bead stiffness, varying tire diameters, over inflation, or some combo of the three. The tires most susceptible to this failure are those with a “handmade open tubular” type construction. Given the large selection of tires on the market that deliver excellent performance with reliability, it is our recommendation that ENVE customers should not pair these tires with their ENVE wheelsets.

Vittoria Corsa Non-Tubeless (Not ALL Vittoria Tires) – This tire features cotton sidewalls in black, para (tan), and anthracite (gray). This tire has been described to us by Vittoria as a race day only type of tire and that it is not recommended for training or prolonged use. This tire has been the main offender for cut sidewalls. While this one tire is not recommended for use with ENVE wheels, Vittoria’s Rubino model tires and the tubeless ready Corsa Speed have proven safe and reliable in our testing.
    Challenge Handmade Clinchers – These are Open Tubular Non-Vulcanized Tires
    Models: Criterium SC S, Strada SC S, Paris Roubaix SC S, Strada PRO, Paris Roubaix PRO, Elite PRO

If you have further questions, or a specific tire that you would like to see tested and approved, please contact your ENVE Customer Service Representative at 877-358-2869.
    Sincerely,
    ENVE Composites
    Last edited by Srode; 03-07-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Rub it............
    I wonder if the Specialized S-works Cotton tires are exempt as well. Not that I use these wheels or tires, just curious.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I wonder if the Specialized S-works Cotton tires are exempt as well. Not that I use these wheels or tires, just curious.
    Sounds to me from the article, it's not a problem unique to SES wheels, some aluminum wheels have the problems too - sounds more like a tire problem. I would guess any cotton tires would be suspect. I don't use any tires like these so not something that is a problem for me either way.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    "The first failure is best defined as a cut or wearing through of the natural fibers on the sidewall of the tire at or near the rim’s hook bead."

I have a hard time believing that's unique to natural fibers. If cotton is being worn so is anything else albeit probably slower. And given that front tires can pretty much last forever in some riding conditions the argument that others will wear 'slow enough' goes out the window IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    sounds more like a tire problem. I would guess any cotton tires would be suspect. I don't use any tires like these so not something that is a problem for me either way.

If there were a systemic problem with all of these 'open tubular' tires, wouldn't this problem be occurring on all rims?

If it were a problem with the tires, I would expect this notice to be coming from the tire manufacturers rather than only Enve.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    If there were a systemic problem with all of these 'open tubular' tires, wouldn't this problem be occurring on all rims?
    And many many years ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post

If it were a problem with the tires, I would expect this notice to be coming from the tire manufacturers rather than only Enve.
    yep, I would think it would be coming from tire manufacturers vs Enve. Perhaps the tire companies aren't ready to do that./haven't reached that conclusion yet. Its easy for Enve to reachout to wheel purchasers since they are registered for warranty unlike tires that are not registerd to purchasers, something may be coming later from them. It's a bigger deal for the tire manufacturer obviously as they may end up taking those models out of production.

I would guess Enve did the research in response to a specific incident involving their wheels, however as the note says, other wheels are having the same problem. No concerns voiced for other tire designs, so perhaps it's a combination of this type of tires with multiple wheel companies.

I don't use those types of tires so not a concern for me. Just sharing here for anyone using any of these combo that weren't on the distribution for the email.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    yep, I would think it would be coming from tire manufacturers vs Enve. Perhaps the tire companies aren't ready to do that./haven't reached that conclusion yet. Its easy for Enve to reachout to wheel purchasers since they are registered for warranty unlike tires that are not registerd to purchasers, something may be coming later from them. It's a bigger deal for the tire manufacturer obviously as they may end up taking those models out of production.

I would guess Enve did the research in response to a specific incident involving their wheels, however as the note says, other wheels are having the same problem. No concerns voiced for other tire designs, so perhaps it's a combination of this type of tires with multiple wheel companies.

I don't use those types of tires so not a concern for me. Just sharing here for anyone using any of these combo that weren't on the distribution for the email.
    Since the bulletin mentions alloy wheels as well...

My only hunch...is that it is the mix of supple non-tubeless tires, and rims made to be able to be used tubeless that have stronger clincher-hooks on them?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

My only hunch...is that it is the mix of supple non-tubeless tires, and rims made to be able to be used tubeless that have stronger clincher-hooks on them?
    That makes sense. Because cotton open tubulars have been around for a long time without these problems.
    I know Open Corsa are sort of a new version but I'm pretty sure it's only the rubber that's changed. And I don't think Veloflex and Challenge have changed anything with casing either.

And the "speed" version of corsa they say is okay also have cotton but a different bead just for tubeless so perhaps the sidewall does not rub as much with those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

Could be, but my SES wheels aren't tubeless capable, they were made before ENVE started those. They may not have differentiated between the two in their email blast though. On the other hand, I have G23 wheels that are tubeless capable and I didn't get an email for them - but they are a hookless design. Not sure what the SES tubeless wheel design is.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Could be, but my SES wheels aren't tubeless capable, they were made before ENVE started those. They may not have differentiated between the two in their email blast though. On the other hand, I have G23 wheels that are tubeless capable and I didn't get an email for them - but they are a hookless design. Not sure what the SES tubeless wheel design is.
    Yea their bulletin is helpfully useless...I suppose they don't know exactly what product is to "blame" or why--but some illumination as to correlation to failure would be helpful than leaving us consumers to speculate.

I suppose since you got it for your SES wheels it definitely applies to those....but, for example, does it apply to their SES 4.5AR wheels, that while "SES" are hookless? Who knows. And they don't post this bulletin on their public site as of now either. Ugh.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sharp edges and natural fiber variability are the keys I think from the bulletin. Rene Herse (previously Compass tires) sent emails to their customers explaining their tires use polyester strands, not natural fibers (including their extralight) in response to the bulletin from Enve. Here's a list of tires ENVE now has listed as safe along with a comment about G23 and SES 4.5 AR wheelsets.

RECOMMENDED TIRE BRANDS
    Continental
    Hutchinson
    Mavic
    Schwalbe
    IRC
    Maxxis
    Pirelli
    Tufo
    Panaracer
    Vittoria – Just not the Corsa Open Tubular
    Specialized – Only known exception is the S Works 2Bliss 28mm which is not compatible with hookless rims like the G23 or SES 4.5 AR
    Bontrager
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett