Faster tires for hybrid bike?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016

Faster tires for hybrid bike?

Hi, Does anyone have experience with Continental "Contact" or "RIDE" style of tires? I currently have the Cross King CX 32mm on a 700C rim on a hybrid bike. https://www.continental-tires.com/bi.../cross-king-cx

I'd like to get faster tires if possible. The idea is to lose the knobs and have the tires more narrow, to get the speed. I'd still like tires that perform well on small gravel, dirt and perhaps softer surfaces as well. Comfort is important too.

I'm likely looking at a 28mm tires based on what's available from Continental and what I've heard about 28mm tires in general.

Does anyone have recommendations on a City/Trekking tire that might meet my needs? https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tires I'm also open to other brands and suggestions, thanks!
    Last edited by kovacsa; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:48 PM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You're confused about narrower tires being faster. I use these, they are actually 40mm wide on my rims.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...oqualmie-pass/
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Hi, Can you provide me with some info on why this is the case? From what I've gathered, narrower is faster to a certain point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by kovacsa View Post
    Hi, Can you provide me with some info on why this is the case? From what I've gathered, narrower is faster to a certain point.
    You gathered wrong. Getting rid of the nobs and finding a tire with a supple casing (like the Rene Herse tires cxw linked to) are the keys. There's lots of research showing that "narrower tires are faster" is nonsense. Note that pro racers are going wider and wider over the past decade. Their teams read the research.

Russian Troll Farmer
    If you want to go faster, why are you riding a hybrid?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    No budget to upgrade really or try anything else. Just looking for a compromise between pavement speed and off road handling on my current bike.

It would be nice to have a frame that handles off road well and is speedy on the roads if that exists. I feel like I'm looking for a frame that is a cross between a road bike and a hybrid bike. I like the more upright position of the hybrid. I do most of my cycling on hard surfaces, pavement, etc. with gravel and dirt trails with softer surfaces for short stretches as well.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    https://youtu.be/yrHxQg1OW0A

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    For optimal speed, I guess the sweet spot for the contact patch width is yet to be determined. I can clearly see what they are showing in the video with a more narrow tire having a larger contact patch than a wider one. I'm coming from 35mm to 32mm in the exact same Continental tire and it is definitively faster now, so it's hard for me to believe that going to a 37mm or 42mm will be faster than my 32mm. So, there must be a sweet spot for the contact patch width and it seems as it's around 28mm from the video and what I've been noticing

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I ride 32mm tires, but I’d think 28s would have similar performance, so I won’t try to talk you into one or the other. I do think you would be well served to pay attention to the weight of the tires and tubes your considering. Tires are pretty heavy in this range as compared to 23s or 25s. This weight is not just bike weight, but being at edge of the wheel inhibits your power output more directly. (I’m not an engineer and can’t quantify this. I’m just suggesting that even if you’re not a ”weight weenie” this is a good place to pay attention.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah, You're right, weight seems important as well. Extra puncture protection might increase weight, but I'm mostly concerned about the speed

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you're looking for speed with narrow tires, look no further. Light weight and a nice narrow contact patch, I think these may be just what you're looking for. $29.95 with free shipping, plus he's open to offers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2018-Co...MAAOSwRLxblqUu
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Yeah, You're right, weight seems important as well. Extra puncture protection might increase weight, but I'm mostly concerned about the speed
    On a hybrid? And there's no way your 32mm tires are 'definitively' faster than the 35mm tires were. Sorry. Any difference would be so small you'd never be able to pin it down and most likely the larger tire would be faster.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

[REDACTED]
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    If you want to go faster, why are you riding a hybrid?
    Tires are less expensive than a new bike. DUH!
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

[REDACTED]
    No budget to upgrade really or try anything else. Just looking for a compromise between pavement speed and off road handling on my current bike.

It would be nice to have a frame that handles off road well and is speedy on the roads if that exists. I feel like I'm looking for a frame that is a cross between a road bike and a hybrid bike. I like the more upright position of the hybrid. I do most of my cycling on hard surfaces, pavement, etc. with gravel and dirt trails with softer surfaces for short stretches as well.
    What you have been told by CXWrench and Kerry Irons is 100% true. From my own experience, I cannot tell much difference in speed between the same tires of different widths. What WILL make a big difference is going from a treaded tire to a smooth tire.

A more supple tire will make a difference, but less so. What you will notice if you go to a more supple tire is a more comfortable ride.

If you are flush, go with the tires CXWrench recommended below:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...oqualmie-pass/

If you want to go cheap and dirty, these puppies roll really nice, have good puncture resistance and are a good bang for the buck. I would go with the 35mm version:

https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Kwest-C...2NM?th=1&psc=1
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    For optimal speed, I guess the sweet spot for the contact patch width is yet to be determined. I can clearly see what they are showing in the video with a more narrow tire having a larger contact patch than a wider one. I'm coming from 35mm to 32mm in the exact same Continental tire and it is definitively faster now, so it's hard for me to believe that going to a 37mm or 42mm will be faster than my 32mm. So, there must be a sweet spot for the contact patch width and it seems as it's around 28mm from the video and what I've been noticing
    I don't know what video you are referring to but my guess is it's not riding "small gravel, dirt and perhaps softer surfaces as well. Comfort is important too." like what you asked about on a hybrid.

I don't doubt 28mm tires might be faster than 35mm tires on nice roads with a light rider or whatever, but that wasn't your question so if you're going to argue with people that are trying to help you then you might want to at least remember what you asked and not argue as if you asked something else. Speed it debatable, comfort increasing with size is not (with equal tires quality and proper PSI) so don't forget what you asked.

28mm tires are definitely not fastest on gravel. You asked about that. Unless it's that really hard packed smooth gravel that makes up about .01% of gravel roads I think you're moving the goal post on your question.

[REDACTED]
    Are you really sure you are faster, or do you just FEEL faster? A harsher ride can fool you into thinking you are faster.

Another issue is the long argued issue of rotating weight. It is true that rotating weight (heavier tires) will make acceleration slower from a start. However, once you are up to speed, weight is weight.