RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

Fat 700c road tires for commuting (35mm+)

Hey all,
    After tire tire number three I've come to decide that the Gravel King SK 38mm is just not a durable enough tire. One left me stranded with a rather large side-wall cut, my replacement is starting to get holes every other ride after only 1,000 miles. I'm a portly 175# (winter beers, winter weight).

Ugh, need something a bit more durable, but I'd like to stay with wider tires. Any recommendations on slick tires 35-38mm? Deals?

Looking at the Clement Strada LGG, Schwalbe Marathon, Vittoria Hyper (can't find).

cheers & thanks in advance

RoadBikeReview Member
    Check out the Challenge Strada Bianca. These are 36mm. I have the vulcanized version and have had no problems for 800+ miles. They ride nice.

The hand made version is supposedly more supple, but reportedly more fragile as well.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Russian Troll Farmer
    I'm riding on 42mm Continental TourRide Extra tires on my gravel/touring bike. Not really "slick", but better than the half-knobbys it came with. Rides pretty well, has good traction, and I've ridden them over numerous pieces of glass and garbage without issue (so far...). Good for pavement and dirt.
    Last edited by No Time Toulouse; 1 Day Ago at 06:46 AM.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by superjohnny View Post
    Hey all,
    After tire tire number three I've come to decide that the Gravel King SK 38mm is just not a durable enough tire. One left me stranded with a rather large side-wall cut, my replacement is starting to get holes every other ride after only 1,000 miles. I'm a portly 175# (winter beers, winter weight).

Ugh, need something a bit more durable, but I'd like to stay with wider tires. Any recommendations on slick tires 35-38mm? Deals?

Looking at the Clement Strada LGG, Schwalbe Marathon, Vittoria Hyper (can't find).

cheers & thanks in advance
    Clement has been Donnelly for about a year by the way. So if you google Donnelly you'll probably find more choices and they would have been sitting on the shelf for less time (not that getting a year or so old tire is a problem).

I have a set of their 40mm tires and like them alot for trails and not great surface gravel roads but would want something faster and lighter for commuting on asphalt or quality gravel roads.
    Note they make a 120 and 60 TPI version of most offerings. I have the 120 and they are pretty smooth riding. I don't know if they 60 would feel worse or not......they are much cheaper for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had good luck with Vittoria Randonneurs.