Neophyte

Finally running out of Turbo Pro 700x23s... what next?

I ride a Scott Addict, usually on pretty rolling terrain in Northern California.

Due to purchasing a whole bunch of them at a good price, I've been on Specialized Turbo Pro 700x23 tires forever but I'm finally on my last set...

It seems like I finally get to join the 700x25 world, wondering what people suggest. Anybody riding Panaracers (considering D type or A type Evo3s)? The current Specialized line seems a bit too expensive (and confusing) so I'm ready to look into other brands.

My wife's bike which I also ride often has had GP 4000's on it forever so I'm familiar with those, but again I'm wondering what else is worth a go.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:42 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    I ride a Scott Addict, usually on pretty rolling terrain in Northern California.

Due to purchasing a whole bunch of them at a good price, I've been on Specialized Turbo Pro 700x23 tires forever but I'm finally on my last set...

It seems like I finally get to join the 700x25 world, wondering what people suggest. Anybody riding Panaracers (considering D type or A type Evo3s)? The current Specialized line seems a bit too expensive (and confusing) so I'm ready to look into other brands.

My wife's bike which I also ride often has had GP 4000's on it forever so I'm familiar with those, but again I'm wondering what else is worth a go.
    You'll get lots of suggestions and for every recommended tire there will be somebody with a horror story to tell. The Continental GP 4000 IIs is very popular. Some people hate it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    how about trying different front and rear tire combo?

Front - use a supple tire like Vittoria Corsa, or Veloflex Corsa (these are often on sale from major online sellers like Probikekit, Wiggle, Westerbikeworks, etc)

Rear - use a harder tire like Vittoria Rubino G+, or Conti GP4000 (these too are often on sale from major online sellers)

There is nothing more confidence inspiring than using a soft front tire when cornering hard because feedback is great. And since it's the front, it'll last long and you don't have to worry much about puncture protection. Rear tire should be beefier than front for longevity and puncture protection, and you don't need to feel the road much on the rear. The Turbo is a nice tire, but I consider that a tweener, meaning it's too hard to make a great front tire, and too soft to make a great rear tire. I have personally used the Turbo as a rear and it's actually not bad because I'm a lightweight, but heavier guys will want a harder tire for longevity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    All I can add is my experience between the Michelin Power Competition vs. Continental GP4000ii. I ride approx 1000-1200 miles/month. Generally, I train to race. Hopelessly enjoy fast cornering and rolling tires:

-Perceived ease of rolling (crr)=draw.
    -Perceived suppleness advantage=Michelin.
    -Actual wear advantage=Continental.

I can't say how much faster the Michelins wear but, it's noticeable enough that I'll be going back to the Continental after the current set is done.

With that said, I'm getting into gravel and just looked at the Panaracer line and glanced at the road tires. I'm planning on a set of the Classic/A or D. Hard to find much feed back on these...

Neophyte
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. Interesting point on using different tires for front/rear... this strategy was all the rage when I was mountain biking in the mid-to-late-90s.

I found a source for the Panaracer Evo3 D's on eBay, going to buy and try, although I've honestly got a few months at least left on the last pair of Turbos.

I've excited to see the difference in going to 25s...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I'm not a fan of using a more puncture-prone tire on the front....or at all for that matter. A sudden rear tire flat is less likely to cause a crash (except maybe while corning fast near the limit).
    I'm kinda in the same spot as jetdog- Finally running out of my old fav Rubino Pro Slicks (running 23 front/ 25 rear). I'm running some GP 4000's, which seem OK but hardly worth the hype (or $$ ?). I have noticed those GP4Ks are a bit wider than stated (my 23's measure about 24.2mm on a 19mm rim).

Rub it............
    I just installed a set of GP4K's on my bike last month. I have noticed a difference in ride quality. I'd say give them a shot. I picked mine off Ebay for $39 a piece.

Also the 4kGP's rate up near the top regarding rolling resistance.

https://www.velonews.com/where-the-r...ing-tires-fast

FYI, the GP4K's run wide. I installed 28's and they measure closer to 30mm.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.