Fixie Wheelset Question
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014

Fixie Wheelset Question

I'm about to get my first Fixie, and have pretty much settled on a Wabi classic. I'll use the bike for little local commutes 1 to 5 miles here or there, but also plan to take it on 20-60 mile flattish road rides.

I'm a road rider who is completely new to the fixie/track/single speed world. But for the road I am completely persuaded by the advantages of the new wide rims. I have a set of Pacenti SL 23s and 2 sets of Kinlin X31s, and I love the wider rim and the way it stretches out a tire. I usually run 25mm tires, which on these rims measure out at 26-27mm.

The Wabi Fixies come with what everyone says is a really nice fixie wheelset, and they are quite light for track wheels. But they are 18mm wide (external dimension), which from my perspective seems really narrow.

Is there a reason I'd want to go with such a narrow rim for the Fixie? Why wouldn't I want to run some H + Son Archetypes, or even the TB14 which has a classic look?

I've contacted the Wabi folks and they will happily sell me a bike without a wheelset, so I need to decide to go with their stock rims or use the money to buy or build a set that runs a bit wider.

Any insights or advice would be much appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I have a Wabi Classic and it's a fast, zippy, responsive bike. However, I will say this - the 18mm rims with the 23mm tires does make for a slightly more jarring and less cushy feel. However, I'm comparing this against an aluminum road bike with H+Son Archetypes and 23mm tires, so it's not exactly apples to apples.

If I were to do it over and had the option of doing it with no wheels, I think I would do that and build my own with wider rims and a lower spoke count. Then again, it depends on how much they'll knock off the price to remove the wheels from the equation...

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by zucchiniboy; 06-22-2016 at 10:49 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    There is no reason you wouldn't want a wider rim. If you want a deepish rim for that traditional fixie look, look at the DT Swiss RR511. 32mm deep, 18mm inner width, and tubeless ready. It's available with a brake track and without (aimed at disc brake bikes, but would work well anywhere there's no rim brake). Available in 32, 28, and 24H drillings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Here's another option you could consider, the XR-31T - it adds 70-80g per wheel for the rim weight, but you can literally get that back by reducing the spoke count from 32/32 to 20/24 because of the much deeper and wider rim (7g per race spoke + brass nipple * 20 spokes = 140 grams).

Here's a full kit for $229 that could get you there:

DIY FG-SS Wheel Kit

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for the responses very helpful.

It's funny you should recommend the BDop kit, as I just bought and built up the road version of that kit for my road bike and it's been fantastic. I'm going to look more closely at the BDop options, but I will most likely buy that kit. It gets around one of the problems with building a fixie/SS wheelset, which is that the prices get a bit high quite quickly. But $229 is quite reasonable, and it even comes with a cog and lockring. (The other good options are at velomine for pre-built wheels, bu they are all 32/32 builds, and at 140 lbs, I just don't need that many spokes).

I should also mention that I had an email exchange with Matt at Wabi Cycles, and he was really really helpful in all sorts of ways. They were happy to sell me a Wabi without the wheels. And Matt even took time to do some adjustments on one of their bikes in the shop to help verify my fitting. I can't say enough good things about the experience.