Formula hub thru axle conversion
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Formula hub thru axle conversion

Hi everyone,

I have a set of 2017 Cannondale Hollowgram SL centerlock disc wheels with QR. The rear is a DT Swiss hub while the front has a simple HG watermarks.

Id like to convert the wheels to thru axle (12x100, 12x142). I contacted DT Swiss and got the part number I need based on the serial number on the rear hub. However the front is a Formula OEM (per Cannondale tech support) with no making of a model number. Anyone know of a way to identify the number and source the necessary end caps?

Thanks in advance,

Kiet

Neophyte
    I did a bunch of research to figure out which formula hubs I had on 2 different OEM wheelsets... take some pictures and post them and I can probably figure out the model number for you.

Skeptical (or at least surprised) that Cannondale went with different wheel/hub manufacturers on the same bike. You might as well post pictures of both wheels/hubs...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    I did a bunch of research to figure out which formula hubs I had on 2 different OEM wheelsets... take some pictures and post them and I can probably figure out the model number for you.

Skeptical (or at least surprised) that Cannondale went with different wheel/hub manufacturers on the same bike. You might as well post pictures of both wheels/hubs...
    IMG_1262.jpgIMG_1261.jpgIMG_1260.jpg

@jetdog9, see the attached pics of the front hub and rear. Rear is clearly marked with "HG by DT Swiss" while front only has the watermark of HG. Appreciate any pointer as to the parts and source for front hub conversion.

Banned Sock Puppet
    Strange cost cutting move by Cannondale to mismatch hubs.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Strange cost cutting move by Cannondale to mismatch hubs.
    Yes, I called Cannondale tech support and they confirmed the rear hub is sourced from DT Swiss and front is Formula OEM. That got me to do a google search and it turns out Formula produces lots of OEM components branded by various bike manufacturers. I wish they did a better job with part identifier with a model number or something to help with services, but understand the difficulty of doing that while still honoring the OEM relationship with bike brands.

Neophyte
    Sorry, also stumped up to this point. What year is the bike? You probably already searched and found this, but Cannondale part K86007 looks like a possibility, but it's out of stuck everywhere in the universe.

When I was looking for parts for a Formula hub I ended up getting via Scott part number for one part, and Cannondale for another! Ha... Will keep digging for fun...

Edit: You could give this a shot, even if rear isn't right the front might be:
    https://www.cannondalespares.com/Can...detail/3-42973
    Last edited by jetdog9; 1 Week Ago at 11:58 AM.