Fulcrum Racing Wheels 1 Clincher
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009

Fulcrum Racing Wheels 1 Clincher

Hi hope someone can help. I have a pair of fulcrum racing 1 wheel set which are the clincher types that came with vittoria diamante pro light tires. The min psi is 130 and max is 160. My question is and I cant find an answer , what do I set these tires at because I looked at the fulcrum site and it seems to recommended 113psi but the tire min is 130 does anyone have experience with ether one of these as to what to set it at thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    usually a tad over 100 psi is fine...tire pressure is usually personal preference...the Diamante pro light tires are relatively thin so you may want to pump it up a little higher (hence the 130min psi) but if they are clinchers I'd stay around 110-130psi...anything above 130 seems really high for clincher

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I thought it was kinda high also thats why I wasn't sure what the rims could take

Jun 2009
    I run mine at 130 same tires etc. seems to minimize flats also and i get good handleing.
    had only 2 flats in last years riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How do you like the Racing1's? I put a pair on my Independant Fabrication Crown Jewel 6 weeks ago to replace a pair of Rolf Sestreire's. They made the whole bike feel significantly stiffer and faster. Even the handling felt better.
    Humbug!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    may seem stupid but try with all your might to roll the tire off the rim whilst NOT riding at 130 psi etc. If you trust your strength id say there is no chance its gonna roll of if your force it, and therefore the tire is alot weaker than the rim therefore its the weak point, and if its rated for 160 you shouldnt have any issues. Like ive indicated the only thing id worry about is that extra psi is more likely to pull the bead out, so its a personal judgement there.

Also like the others said a lower pressure may also be suitable, but also make sure that the bead is also locked in enough at the lower pressure (may be thinner or more flexible).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Rim limitations

Quote Originally Posted by DirtTurtle
    the tire is alot weaker than the rim therefore its the weak point, and if its rated for 160 you shouldnt have any issues.
    Actually, over the years there have been a number of clincher rims with tire pressure limits imposed, because the rim side wall takes all the force of the tire pressure. Typical pressure limits have been under 140 psi (9.5 bar), but IIRC somebody was publishing at 120 psi (8.5 bar) limit. That said, 160 psi is insane for all but the VERY smoothest pavement (aka velodrome) and even 130 will give poor traction, poor handling, rapid tire wear, reduced comfort, and likely no advantage in rolling resistance. If you need pressures that high to prevent pinch flats, then you should be on wider tires or paying more attention to what's in front of you as you ride (or both).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    thanks guys for all the reply's. I got a email back from fulcrum they said 113 is what they suggest. seems kind of stupid to put a tire that is rated at its min 130 on a rim that its max rating is a whole lot lower

RoadBikeReview Member
    ...seems stupid for a clincher to support a min of 130.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Pressure ratings

Quote Originally Posted by mike25f
    thanks guys for all the reply's. I got a email back from fulcrum they said 113 is what they suggest. seems kind of stupid to put a tire that is rated at its min 130 on a rim that its max rating is a whole lot lower
    Forget the effing tire pressure ratings!!! Those are supplied by the marketing department on the principle that people will assume that a tire with bigger numbers is somehow better. There is rarely a condition where a pressure above 110-120 psi (7.5-8 bar) makes any sense for a road bike.

There is no such thing as a minimum pressure rating, and no logical reason for there to be one. If you had someone who weighed 110 lb (50 kg), they could easily ride those tires at 80 psi (5.5 bar), have a good performing tire and not worry about pinch flats. It's not about what it says on the sidewall!

kgg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    If you had someone who weighed 110 lb (50 kg), they could easily ride those tires at 80 psi (5.5 bar), have a good performing tire and not worry about pinch flats. It's not about what it says on the sidewall!
    Indeed, my wife weighs just under that and I have run her tires anywhere in the 65-75 psi range.