Neophyte

Goodyear announces bike tire line

Goodyear re-enters the bicycle tire market, 120 years later | VeloNews.com

I imagine if business turns out to be good, they'll introduce road racing models.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I thought they already had bike tires. I purchased a set of MTB tires with "Goodyear" written on the side a number of years ago.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    a little off topic, but reading the article reminds me that a $70 Eagle bicycle tire cost almost as much as a Bridgestone tire for my car bought from Costco a couple years ago. Incredible.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting....

"its entire range is tubeless, a system Goodyear is calling Tubeless Complete. The tires, which Goodyear spent two years designing, are meant to be used without sealant. "

But....

"as is the case with any tire, variations in rim diameter can cause problems with proper tubeless sealing. Such was the case with the Eagle road tires; we got them mounted up quickly and easily using only a floor pump, but in order to completely seal the tires so they didn’t leak, sealant was necessary. We still wouldn’t recommend setting these up tubeless without sealant."
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    a little off topic, but reading the article reminds me that a $70 Eagle bicycle tire cost almost as much as a Bridgestone tire for my car bought from Costco a couple years ago. Incredible.
    No kidding. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I bring my car in for repairs or whatever. I know bike fix prices really well so I set my car expectations based on what I know about bikes and assume it'll be much much higher for similar complexity work and labor. It's always WAY less than what applying my bike knowledge would have me guess.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Really funny thing...45mm gravel tires that have 3X as much material as road tires cost 50% less.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Really funny thing...45mm gravel tires that have 3X as much material as road tires cost 50% less.
    Based on pricing for good road tires, I'm convinced they're made by hand by highly skilled elves with tiny hands.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In the world of road cycling weight weenies, less is more.

As we all know, pricing follows a simple rule of supply and demand. Nothing more.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Are you saying that we should pay by the pound for tires? Would you be willing to pay more for a tire that was more supple and therefore had lower rolling resistance? How about one that was more durable, or had better grip? Or is it just weight?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Are you saying that we should pay by the pound for tires? Would you be willing to pay more for a tire that was more supple and therefore had lower rolling resistance? How
    about one that was more durable, or had better grip? Or is it just weight?
    No...I'm saying that the cycling industry is happy to gouge roadie cyclists moreso than other cyclists. And roadies are evidently happy to oblige.

Blame it on inflation, or the gentrification of cycling particularly in the US. Whatever.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    No...I'm saying that the cycling industry is happy to gouge roadie cyclists moreso than other cyclists. And roadies are evidently happy to oblige.

Blame it on inflation, or the gentrification of cycling particularly in the US. Whatever.
    I know what you meant.

The most glaring examples are things that are not roadie or even cycling specific.
    Stuff like food snacks, socks, and grease get really high prices when marketed to cyclists (especially roadies) as compared to essentially the same thing marketed to others.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quick search on the Pirelli P Zero, which looks like a higher end tire, shows a price range of $129 to $270 each. My handmade Veloflex Corsas on sale for $30 each seems pretty fair. We tend to put nicer stuff on our bikes than our cars (I know there are exceptions).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Lots of tires have a $70 MSRP but then retail for far less. We'll have to see what the "street value" of these tires works out to be. Goodyear makes crappy road tires in my experience, I'm not sure what brand value they think will translate into bike tires.

Unrelated to the Goodyears, I've never understood why we here in the States are charged so much more that Europeans on certain tires. Perhaps there are tariffs involved, but a GP 4000II that sells for $69 here goes for the equivalent of $30-$40 all day in Europe. Continental and Schwalbe seem like the worst with that particular irritation.